Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have to meet your Grandma!!

2. ROTFLMFAO! :biglaugh:

3. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Why not just post it up here? I’d be interested to know, as I’m sure others would be. Unless there’s a reason you can’t make certain details public, of course.

4. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Amazon.ca pre-order says Sept 28, 2018 delivery date on the Autumn Stone vinyl.

5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Essentially, there was a lot of tail chasing trying to order it and no firm delivery date, but I ended up receiving it two weeks after I placed the order.

6. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I ordered mine from an online retailer in the UK - and heard nothing for weeks if not months, indeed it was looking to see if anyone else was in the same boat as me that led me to sign up here in the first place. Eventually they came through quite a while after the release date but it was a long drawn out affair with various emails and phone calls back and forth and not one I’d care to repeat. If there wasn’t the ridiculous issue with the rights to the back catalogue then I’d have just ordered it from Amazon and sat back in anticipation but they weren’t listing it at the time as it was not available in the UK, supposedly.

7. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

It's beginning to look very much like Autumn Stone isn't going to be available to UK buyers either, despite what Caiger claimed on twitter.

So: with just over two weeks until the Autumn Stone deluxe edition is allegedly released, we're suddenly hearing nothing about it. No UK preorder options anywhere, and the US preorder pages are being cagey on their delivery estimates.

Do we really think this great white elephant is going to see the light of day anytime soon?

I genuinely love the Small Faces, they're in my all-time top five, but the way their fans are currently being treated by the imbeciles in charge of their catalogue is nothing short of despicable.

Edit: 28th Sept for the CD too, now, at Amazon.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It’s disgraceful. They are also in my top 5. They have a something you don’t get from music today, that’s what drew me to them four years ago. I hadn’t heard anything like it when I first heard “Whatcha Gonna Do About It” and have yet to find someone who will capture me like that. Even Hendrix didn’t get me in the same way Small Faces did. The last piece of the reissue campaign puzzle, and it was touted as being released FOUR years ago. I’ve sat waiting, maybe we’re all Only Dreaming? I know I’ll Feel Much Better when this comes out.

In that time, we managed to have The Decca Years box released, one that wasn’t planned or we saw coming, which I will be the first to admit that I was skeptical of and bought anyway only for completions sake and was pleasantly and genuinely surprised by the excellent mastering, which blew away the Deluxes I already had.

I’m so upset by no concrete release date for this package that I went out and bought the 7” vinyl of the one rare track I don’t have by them, and @Dennis Metz tells me is the worst sounding vinyl record ever and I’m wondering how much work in Adobe Audition am I going to have to do to make my eventual rip of said 7” sound good.

I love Small Faces and always will. Meeting Mac in Austin three months before his passing was one of my favorite memories of being a music fan, but it saddens me the way that the people in charge of the band’s catalog have hooked us.

The 1966 concert has certainly softened the blow for this runaround tailchasing we’ve been getting with the LAST ALBUM most fans want to complete their collections.

Btw, has anyone else noticed that Rob Cagier is no longer a member here? I find that quite puzzling.

marmalade166 and Surferghost like this.
  9. Surferghost

Indeed, a release that was in no way whatsoever the responsibility of the record companies mishandling the Small Faces catalogue. If it was, we wouldn't have seen it released until 2025 most likely.

So, Sept 28 2018 (that's up to now, of course) for Autumn Stone - that's four years after it was originally slated for release, and almost a year after this thread was started.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Munros1969 likes this.
  10. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I remember reading Caiger comments on Superdeluxeedition site regarding Decca Years box. He said that they have included everything they could find for that period but some live material was not included because of some copyright problems. I wonder if he eventually talked about Belgium gig?

11. hallucalation

Release date now is pushed to 28 September according to Amazon. Nice job, Rob! Keep good stuff comin'

Munros1969 likes this.
  12. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Have you checked out any Freakbeat compilations? There's loads out there but this is a fave of mine

Various - The Freakbeat Scene

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Some great bands there, some of my favs. The Mark Four/Creation, The Poets, The Birds.

Actually some of the Immediate samplers are good too, but there's still no one quite like The Small Faces. To me it's Mac and his unique keyboard arrangements that set them apart from otherwise similar bands.

Mark

Surferghost likes this.
  14. marmalade166

The 'scene' series of compilations were a great idea, this is another fave from that series of comps

Various - The Psychedelic Scene

Surferghost and Mark Wilson like this.
  15. Surferghost

Don't forget The Attack, they were a great band.

Wimple Winch - fantastic freakbeat band for their first few singles. But beware - then they went in a weirdly unsatisfying toytown pop-psych direction by the end with syrupy songs about teddy bears.

marmalade166 likes this.
  16. marmalade166

Yeah, I can't abide the vast majority of Toytown Psych :tsk:

17. Surferghost

Wimple Winch managed a couple of still-great transitional tracks that were a really interesting cross between Syd Barrett and the Beach Boys, but by 1968 they'd sadly gone full-on Aunt Lavinia's Lollipoppe Shoppe. :(

villiers terrace likes this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Really? You find it puzzling that Rob Cagier is no longer a member here? You don’t see the logical choice of a person who decides he’s tired of being the punching bag ....

19. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

In all fairness to Rob Caiger, he's not the one calling the shots as to release dates. He is hired by Charly Records to master/remaster all these reissues. Charly is calling the release dates, and rescheduled release dates. Blame them if you will, but also thank them for making these reissues possible in the first place. Yes, it's frustrating with all the moving target dates, but it is what it is...

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I only blame him for his teasing tweets that always promise more than they deliver as they continue to dole out the rarities strategically with an eye dropper. Another Caiger wrist job. . .

21. hallucalation

Very unprofessional attitude.

The reason for moving Autumn Stone release is apparently that it is clashed with 50th Anniversary of Ogdens which they want to release first (where's goddamn tracklist?). It's amazing how dumb Charly works to realise it after all the publicity about Stone release.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I still don't understand why we need yet another deluxe edition of Ogden's anyway, but I'm sure they'll cough up one or two previously unheard tracks to draw in compulsive collectors.

23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I only know "Save My Soul" from the Nuggets II box set. Great song.

Surferghost likes this.
  24. Because some folks don’t have it ( it’s not easily available) and it’s the 50 th anniversary ?

25. hallucalation

2 CD edition is easily available and you can buy 3rd cd (stereo mix) just about everywhere.

It's not like we need 50th Anniversary, it's they want $$$

SF catalogue was and always will be cash grab and total mess. Right from the beginning (pun intended) when Don Arden issued From The Beginning LP.

I mean can you name other band who have the same title for LP for two totally different studio albums?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018