Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

They were at least still fine in 1993 for the Box set remix.

Count me to the people who really love A

2. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

A doesn't sound fine at all... Broadsword on the other hand does.

ti-triodes, sound chaser and Runicen like this.
  3. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

I agree that Broadsword sounds better than A. But both can benefit from magic touch of Mr. Wilson.

Plan9, Runicen and Galeans like this.
  4. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

My interest in Tull drops significantly with the loss of Evans, but I’ve always preferred what Jobson did on A to Vettese’s work and tones on the next few albums.

Sneakyfox and Crush Everything like this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I have no issue with Jobson as a player, but I never felt he was well-utilized in Tull. Vettese at least uses synths to, mostly, sound like things that are "not of this world." Jobson stayed closer to the kinds of things you could do on an organ or piano with a lot of his playing and there was less of that "weird factor." Not really bad, but kind of defeats the purpose of adding all those gadgets in the first place. Play a bloody piano if that's the sound you're after! :winkgrin:

6. ClevelandProg

ClevelandProg Forum Resident

Tull is in my top five bands of all-time, and I have all the special edition boxes, but the only ones I want them to release in the future like this are This Was, Stormwatch, and Broadsword. I wouldn’t buy A, Under Wraps, or any of the other albums in this format. Wouldn’t be worth the money for me. Oh yeah, I would also like Benefit in the book format.

7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Broadsword was Tulls first crappy recording imo. This can be the most rewarding Wilson remix

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I will say that Eddie was amazing on the 'A' tour. That was an interesting show because it was the first to kind of break with the typical folkie fare. They did some really weird stuff like the mad, strobed out 'Uniform' dance and Eddie was front and center throughout. He did a long violin solo about halfway through the show that was quite breathtaking and his keyboard playing was consistently great. 'A' was not my favorite Tull album so my expectations for the show weren't super high, but it turned out to be very memorable and a lot of what I remember is Eddie.

slipkid, Runicen and Mirsset like this.
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

All this talk of A prompted me to fire up the 2004 remaster.
    Many classic songs on there, just as good as previous Tull (and certainly better than some of the bonus tracks that some of you prefer to the album tracks ;)). Martin is on fire, great riffs, many catchy melodies... Even the couple of duds (Batteries Not Included, Uniform...) have their moments.
    I guess that apart from the change in line-up, the bad reputation of this album comes from the horrible production and mixing, plus the change towards a more electronic sound and the less than optimal track order... I don't think And Further On is a strong closing track.

Anyway I think it would greatly benefit from a remix.

10. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Love uniform :)

Don Beveridge and folkfreak like this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

A 2018 Heavy Horses vinyl has half-appeared on Amazon UK for just 14.42. Clicking on it brings you to a page where the price is listed but no seller -therefore you can’t order it just yet.

12. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Totally agree on all these things. Except closing track. And Further On is not bad closing track in my opinion. Lyrically it fits, and for me also musically, quite tranquil closing piece. :) But thats just cosmetic thing. A is in desperate need of good remix. Maybe than can more people appreciate it.

Sneakyfox, Runicen and Plan9 like this.
  13. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Hey Plan, are you expecting anything extra for Stormwatch other than the 6 known extras we’ll be getting? Apocalypse? :shh:

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I wouldn't know just yet.

Galeans likes this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I think the last time I played it was the year it came out. I’m not even sure I own it anymore. It’s been so long that all I really remember is Pine Martin Jig was great and 4WD was especially awful.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    electronicpaperboy likes this.
  16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I am not a fan of Bursting Out yet love this concert. Go figure.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I love 4WD, I listen to it loud. I have no shame. :D
    Many tracks on this album do have a definite groove, this is one of them.

DPM and Runicen like this.
  18. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

“A” has probably been my single most anticipated release in the series. It was one of the first Tull albums I heard so it has a special place in my heart, but the sound leaves a lot to be desired. Interestingly, Steven Wilson’s drummer Marco Minnemann listed A among his favorite drum albums. Nice to know there are other fans.

19. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

There are at least four tracks on the album which are top drawer stuff! It might be the sleeper in these box sets with some additional material hopefully?

Plan9 likes this.
  20. I’m not sure what outtakes from the “A” sessions have already been released to date. Anyone?

21. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

4wd is strong apart from the lyrics lol. You gotta get into Uniform. Kicks ass ;)

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

None. But the period between A and Broadsword have many outtakes that were released on Nightcap.

Btw i LOVE A. And i really like it’s sound too.

I know many would like a remix of Broadsword to completely “de-80s” the mix. But beware that sometimes an album with a distingtive sound also works because of that sound. Perhaps there is i certain glue in the big drum sound that makes the simple grooves of Broadsword glue together. Without the big sound they may sound too simplistic.

Runicen and Pete Puma like this.
  23. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I'm happy enough with the drums of 2/3 of the Broadsword songs. It's just the other 2 or 3 are a fair bit louder or just have a much worse sound. If they are toned down to match the rest of the songs I'll enjoy those song so so so much more. Beastie is potentially a cool song but I just can't listen to it with the drum sound it has. Major turn off imo

24. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

"4 WD" is a fun groove but the lyrics are really awful, although I think they may be deliberately awful. I am a big fan of Jobson's work with UK so a melange between Jobson and Tull works especially well for me. "And Furhter On" is my favorite but I also like "Fylingdale Flyer", "Working John Working Joe" (I prefer this version to the one who recently surfaced from the "Songs from the Wood" sessions), "Black Sunday", "Uniform" and "The Pine Marten's Jig" (where Jobson's excellent distorted violin solo is often mistaken for an electric guitar).

I understand the sadness for the fact that the late 70s line-up of Tull disbanded and I think part of the problem accepting the 1980 band could be their uniforms: they really are BAD LOOKING. But I think this line-up deserves a better treatment in Tull's history: they were great and they kicked ass in concert. Mark Craney, may he rest in peace, was a fantastic drummer.

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's how I see it. There's a bit of off-beat humour and double-entendre, like I'm In Love With My Car by Queen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.