KISS fans - which album do you stop at?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

ROFL

Fair enough.

I'm not gonna stick up for 'em any more than I already have, if that tells ya anything.

Hard to defend KISS to anyone, for real...

Weirwolfe, Dr. Funk and carlwm like this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

And yet, they're such a great band!

3. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Truth.

4. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

When I was in grade school, I was a KISS fan, but I had no money to buy records, so the only one I had was "Alive". My friends had "Rock n' Roll Over" with the cool stickers, "Love Gun" we didn't get the reference... duh, I thought it had someything to do with that pop out gun that came with album. "Destroyer" cool cover .
    I had several KISS posters in my room, which was the cause of much grief with my folks. I also got dressed up on halloween as Peter Criss my buddy was Ace.

Soon after, I got into other bands.
    30 years later a buddy loaned me a stack of KISS cds albums I heard, but never owned and... I had a crappy stereo as a kid, so I got a chance to listen to all of them.
    I was really blown away, and still am with the first album, "KISS" which none of us had and frankly, I never heard before,
    Great quirky album. To me, the vision of the dude in the vampire makeup singing "Let me know". and it would be great tune without that.

This is one of those cool songs, where how the hell is this not a hit?
    and I like watching the really early videos, where the costumes look homemade almost. To me, they sounded so ..."raw" for a lack of a better term and for whatever reason, I just liked the tunes.
    To me and this is just my opinion, every album got progressively worse (with individual track exceptions) after that first one, or at least they did not get any better as the budget increased.

If I found a super clean vinyl copy of KISS, I would go for it. I love the cover of Dressed to Kill, I might go for a poster and a cd.

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Hey, we like what we like......for me they lost their mojo on the album Dynasty, and never got it back. But I'm no hard core fan, and left The Kiss Army pretty early on.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

My mom got me a new copy of "Unmasked" when I graduated from grade school. That was it for me. I was already done.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I say Never is the best solo Ozzy tune

carlwm likes this.
  8. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Way back then, I got my hands on a promo copy for "I Was Made for Lovin' You" before if was officially released and it was at that point KISS lost my interest.

9. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

As of now,Monster.

Lonesurf, Zoot Marimba and theshape like this.
  10. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Dynasty

11. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Not a fan of any of the releases with Eric and Tommy. Monster and Sonic Boom each had a few decent tracks but that’s it. I’m good with any other line up of the band.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Is that Never Know Why from Ultimate Sin?

13. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I liked them until Destroyer and Double Platinum. Then they lost me because I turned 12 and got into better music.

14. Coconut Shy

Coconut Shy Forum Resident

Love Gun was the end of the line.

15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

This sentence could've ended here. HA!

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

No there are 2 song titles with the word "never" in the song title. Also, to note Nevison's production here would mirror what he did would do on Kiss Crazy Nights.

carlwm likes this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction. Been so long since I've listened to The Ultimate Sin, I'd forgotten this one. I'n fairness to Curveboy, it's a decent song.

Good point about Nevison's production.

18. Revenge. I don't think I've heard one note after that album. At least on purpose.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:rolleyes:

It is possible to move onto other music and retain a fondness for stuff you liked as a kid. It's also possible to leave commentary without being condescending to others that still like the band this thread was created for. Further, it's possible to stay out of threads if you just have snide things to say.

905, rebetis, eric777 and 4 others like this.
  20. KPeck

KPeck Well-Known Member

I was in high school when Hotter Than Hell came out and became an instant fan...saw them live in 77 and after listening to Dynasty I stopped buying.

21. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Been a fan since I was 7 (1978) and still am, and used to listen to everything, but these days if I listen to KISS it's basically the Ace & Paul solo LPs, Dynasty, Unmasked, Elder, and Creatures of the Night. Basically the 1978-1982 albums. Plus Alive! and Destroyer.

So I guess the answer is Creatures of the Night. It's one of their best. Probably their best all-around.

The 80s were brutal for Kiss. I like Lick It Up but everything from Animalize up to and including Hot In The Shade is pretty forgettable.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Oh, and Unplugged as well. That album is essential.

23. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I still enjoy early KISS. Hard Luck Woman, Stutter, and Do You Love Me are still some of my favorite songs. It was meant as a light-hearted jest not a snide comment. Sorry it came across that way.

GodShifter and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  24. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I've listened to it. I find Creatures to be far more brutal sounding, while with a couple of exceptions, my initial reaction to Lick It Up was that any lite metal group could have performed that album. I do like the title track, though.

carlwm and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

All good, brother. No worries:)

905, Zoot Marimba, carlwm and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.