Ground wire problems....should things be this difficult???*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimmy Mac, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design Thread Starter

Bought a Lehmann Black Cube SE II today, am having absolute difficulties with the ground wire of all things. The ground wire on my Goldnote Valore is a flat U shape, the ground on the Lehmann is almost like on the back of a speaker, where you would put the wire. The U shape ground won’t fit around this...the manual tells me the terminal is suitable for connecting a cable, flex, open cable ends, cable lug or 4 mm banana plug. I’ve google imaged all these things, and non of them are this U shaped wire. Is there anything I can do before I lose my mind and put all these electronics in the garbage for pick up tomorrow?

2. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Get yourself a piece of bare wire, about 2 or 3 inches long. Wrap one end around the U lug of the Goodnote ground wire, then attach the other end of that wire to the binding post of the Lehman. If you don’t have any loose wire, just use an unfolded paper clip.

Or, if you don’t mind cutting off the U lug, cut it off, strip off about an inch of insulation, then attach the bare wire to the Lehman binding post.

Signed,
    MacGyver

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Can't you bend the lug wide enough to fit around the ground terminal? Or tighten the terminal down on one leg of the U.

morinix and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

That's what I did.

5. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

I wouldn't beat yourself up so badly, in time you'll learn to write better thread titles.

6. Jimmy Mac

So I tried the wire trick, worst hum I have ever heard in my life, so I’m sure that was a screw up on my part.

Is that an option to tighten the terminal around one leg? That was my first instinct, to put one of the legs in the hole where you’d put the wire in. Will try that next.

7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

There isn't a hole in the middle of the terminal?

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Try either of those 2 options.

1. Spread the U so it's wider and more like a V, slide it between the bolt and screw it back until it's tight.
    2. Take speaker wire, strip both ends, put one end in the hole of the unscrewed ground bolt on the Lehmann and the other end wrapped around the U.

9. Jimmy Mac

The hum is better with the one leg in the terminal, and is completely gone when I put my hand on the preamp (if that means anything to anybody). Last question, can I put the ground wire into the ground on my actual receiver instead of the Phono stage, or will that blow everything up?

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's fine and it might even provide lower noise. Try it.
    -Bill

11. Jimmy Mac

Okay....by turning the U more into a V and putting the Lehmann in one particular place the hum is gone. Thanks for everybody’s help.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Turning the U into a V, you say? I wonder where that was mentioned. ;)

Glad you got it all straightened out, Jim. Now reward yourself with all the music you can listen to. :)

Fishoutofwater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.