Did you ever get to watch "real" movies in school?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

As far as I know, no U.S print had it.

2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Supposedly, "a few" or "some" prints shown in US in 1968 had it, but I have never seen any proof of that anywhere.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

When recess was canceled due to inclement weather, they would herd us into the auditorium and show 16mm prints of Roger Ramjet. Also remember Pippi Longstocking.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I took
    16mm Dupage County library print circa 1980...no Hey Bulldog.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I also remember being really happy when the reel of film was especially big--there goes that class period! :D

Re: Filmstrips--is it just me, or did they always seem to assign the job of "turning" the frames to the most ADD kid in class? All it takes is to miss one frame, and everyone was yelling at them to turn it. I remember once in the 4th grade, the teacher sent someone down to the library to find a filmstrip on "anything" for the class (must have been towards the end of the year). He/she came back with a filmstrip about how to care for puppies. Aww...
    We put it in and it's actually about how to help deliver puppies. It was a really old filmstrip and referred to the mother dog as "the bitch." So we were all cracking up listening to the narrator saying things like, "Keep the bitch calm" and "Do not touch the bitch!" :laugh::laugh:

6. PaulKTF

:laugh: That sounds like something that would have happened in my class.. It would have made my day!

Steve Litos and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Lots of times, Swedens schools are too chill sometimes.

8. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

If West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof count.

Steve Litos likes this.
  9. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

They do.

10. The Slug Man

In high school, the "cool" teacher showed us Wall Street (where we all got the "wrong" idea--we were rooting for Charlie Sheen and Gekko to succeed), and U2's Rattle And Hum.

In college, a Poli Sci professor showed us Ken Russell's The Devils. Now that made a lasting impression on me!

11. Our English teacher showed us Lindsay Anderson's If when we were in year 9 (14/15 years old)

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

My secondary school showed a film at Christmas, usually James Bond or Smokey & the Bandit.

13. PaulKTF

Because nothing says "wholesome kids movie" like Smokey And The Bandit!

MikaelaArsenault, GLENN and Dave S like this.
  14. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

High school teacher showed us Scarface (80's version).

The Outsiders was another one I remember. We were
    reading the book at the time.

15. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I was in a math class that was quite.....disruptive and the teacher was at wits end so she showed us "Stand and Deliver". I think it was to try and inspire us. These days, I feel bad for that poor woman; we put her through hell.

16. The Slug Man

We saw that one too. My main takeaway was, "Is that really the Lieutenant from Miami Vice?" and "how does that one guy do calculus on his fingers?"

17. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Thanks for the likes! We also got a real Technicolor print of THE QUIET MAN(I discovered to my horror that the Eastmancolor pints of it on TV were completely pink), THE AFRICAN QUEEN, CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN(in B/W!), many more. These all went over better than BRINGING UP BABY did!

18. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

In middle school we got hauled into the gym for North By Northwest, The Birds & Ten Little Indians. In high school a journalism teacher felt he needed two periods off so we sat through a projection of Citizen Kane that was in such appalling shape it was impossible to make out was anyone saying or doing but there wasn't much we could do.

19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

We watched Brian’s Song in six grade and I cried like a baby in front of classmates :D

20. PaulKTF

Thus proving that you are a human. :)

modrevolve likes this.
  21. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Back in high school, (72- 77), we a had a movie club and I got to see American Graffiti, Woodstock, The Last Detail, If, Polanski’s McBeth, Fearless Vampire Killers, and many, many others during lunchtime breaks over two consecutive days, (usually Thursday and Friday).

the pope ondine likes this.
  22. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Field trip 8th grade '68/'69 went to see Oliver.

10th grade...school showed Cool Hand Luke in auditorium. I think in 2 parts...2 days.

Every school around or on Halloween should show a classic horror film. Frankenstein or Bride Of would be nice. Expose kids to the really good stuff.

23. arley

arley Forum Resident

In 1968 I was a senior at a Catholic high school. The entire senior class (about 200) went to see Macbeth since we were reading it in English class. I forget what version the film was, but the movie was old in 1968.

I remember two things: first, when Lady Macbeth says
    Come, you spirits
    That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
    And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
    Of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood.
    Stop up th' access and passage to remorse,
    That no compunctious visitings of nature
    Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
    Th' effect and it. Come to my woman's breasts,
    And take my milk for gall, you murd'ring ministers

As you might imagine, words like 'unsex' and 'breasts' caused a bit of Beavis & Butthead-style tittering.

Secondly, the nuns had rented a movie theater in a somewhat dodgy part of town to show it. The theater was in the process of transforming itself into a skin- flick emporium, and some posters in the lobby advertised some upcoming attractions. Got our attention, for sure.

24. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Ferris Bueller's day off on rain days in the high school library

25. PaulKTF

It was probably the 1948 Orson Welles version

Macbeth (1948 film) - Wikipedia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.