Looking for a bookshelf - $1k max

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChrisR2060, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict Thread Starter

Hello hello,

I have not yet heard
    Elac UB5
    dynaudio excite m10
    KEF Q150

... has anyone experienced those three? They seem to be leading in the sub $1,000 segment...
    THanks,

2. ChrisR2060

Hey ChrisR, if you haven't tried the UB5, you ought to get a pair quick and get them on your stand.

3. ChrisR2060

OK, thanks Chris, I will. What I'd like to do is a shoutout with the dynaudios and kef q150. By the way, I wonder how close the q150 get to the ls50... they both inherited from the blades.

4. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

5. ChrisR2060

Thanks for pointing to the Canton... I'll keep this link preciously.

I just received the UB5s... they have been on my stand for 5 minutes now, replacing LS50s... so breaking in gently for the next 100hrs..
    So far, I can tell they image and detail like crazy...totally 100% on par with the KEFs, may be a little more directional, and definitely brighter, more forward and dynamic, for sure. Not sure if it is a lack of refinement or a matter of taste... time will tell.
    I'll come back and post some

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

ChrisR2060 and Slippers-on like this.
  7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Canton makes their own drivers....tweeters are Ceramic. Woofers are as you said, aluminum...all made in house by Canton.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  8. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

PSB & Totem make awesome bookshelf speakers in that price range. You can also get a great pair retailed at more than $1K, used on Audiogon, Canuck Audio Mart, USA Audio Mart, etc.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  9. ChrisR2060

yeah I have seen some totem mites going for sale... uhm... but I already have the hawks...
    PSB, i have them a few years ago and wasn't impressed at all.

Right now I am very impressed with the UB5, replacing KEF LS50s... Midrange extremely forward just out of the box.. so let's see in a few days.
    The bass is more even and better defined than with the LS50s.. Soundstage is as good. Imaging, just as good. It's the midrange that is in your face... so far.
    They rate them as a 85db/w speaker. I can't believe it. They sound more like a 95db/w speaker. Maybe the 4ohm impedance makes my integrated spit a lot more.. don't know.

Radio likes this.
  10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I'm using UB5's with a refurbished Sansui 9090 and am in love with them. Cheapest speakers I've ever had in the main rig, but the synergy is scary good with the Sansui. My only complaint is I wish they looked a bit more upscale.

They smooth out a bit with some time on them, the bass firms up a bit and they loose the little bit of a shouty aspect they probably have right now. Enjoy...

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  11. ChrisR2060

Thank you SirMarc for your comment - I am on day 2, they have about 10 hours of playtime, and I am listening to eric clapton "the story of us" album. For now, voices sound definetely colored, like coming out of a small can, there are some serious midrange peaks, they sound like a PA speaker stretched to its limits... and I am not even playing them loud! I doubt that the marantz 8400 integrated falls short to drive this load; maybe the pair I have is defective. I'll give them a couple weeks, and try something else if they do not improve. It's too bad because bass is good - I feel like they should have chosen a larger midrange driver, made of different material. Time will tell... for now my impressions are mixed, but I really start to just hear their shortcomings.

SirMarc likes this.
  12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I liked them out of the box, but they did shout at you when cranked. Don't remember how long it took to smooth out, but I had 2 weeks to return them, and didn't, so maybe 50 hours?

These things dip to 3.6 ohms, and your Marantz looks like it's only rated down to 6 ohms. Wonder if that's the issue? Does the Marantz get really hot when you crank it?

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  13. ChrisR2060

Thanks - The specs on the 8400 clearly indicate 70wpc at 8ohms, and 100wpc at 4oms, so driving 4ohms speakers is not out of question according to Marantz... Now, yes it does stay warm with the UB5s, and never breaks a sweat with dentons or totem, or LS50s - all of these speakers deep down well below 4ohms (i think 3.2 with LS50s?).

I'll give them a couple weeks... I am checking them now with some CD test.. stereophile, chesky type of things.

SirMarc likes this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You wrote 8400, so I thought you were running an AV receiver. My bad.

I really wanted to check out the Dentons, partially because they are so gorgeous and would match my vintage gear, but I've never bought a set of speakers without hearing them first. If I returned the UB5's, I was considering ordering them. But we know how that turned out lol

15. ChrisR2060

I am looking into the Dynaudio emit 10 right now, as an alternative to the Elac. I have let the Elac play all day, so they have about 20 hours now.
    I am playing diana krall right now, and yes, they are not bad at all! very very clean and detailed. the midrange seems to open up a bit and becomes less resonant.

16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Give them a little time before you give up on them. Then again, the break in wasn't a night and day difference, could be a synergy thing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.