Mapleshade IsoBlocks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jnthn_7, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I used a lack table with 4 stacks of 2 of the 2x2 EVA pads under an Ikea bamboo butcher board. Worked great for my P3. . The EVA are much better than the cheaper cork units that Mapleshade is selling.

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have them. They work fine but I cannot say if they are better or worse than anything else.

3. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

That's my question, isn't particle board not very dense at all? It's not like MDF, it's very light. I don't see how it would help with vibrations. I'm sure I'm wrong, just thinking logically about this. I'd love to use the Ikea Lack for the price

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

McGuy, altho I dont use the Lack for my Rega, others have and say it works really well. I put 3 hockey pucks under my Regas 3 legs and I call it a day.

McGuy likes this.
  5. McGuy

Thanks! for $10 and some iso-whatevers, it's a steal!

6. jnthn_7

jnthn_7 Active Member Thread Starter

I can also recommend the Lack :) worked great with my TT. I used it before with cones underneath (great if your TT don't have adjustable feet like all Regas) but now I want to use something better than cones for the isolation. I figure I can level the TT just as good with some cardboard instead and step up my isolation game a little :)

Now the question is just... What should I use? ;) Anyone tried like a anti vibration mat like this one under a platform? Vibrationsdämpare | Clas Ohlson

Sorry for postning a Swedish link :) It's basically a rubber antivibration mat for washing machines and machinery.

Kind of looks like Isoblocks without the cork in the middle. I figure stacking two or three pieces of mats in each corner of the platform might work.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  7. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

MDF is a type of particle board; use MDF

8. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

See this discussion Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio

Tremaindous likes this.
  9. gov

gov Forum Resident

Only thing I would add is that I was surprised how different materials that I placed my table on sounded very different. I was not expecting that...I figured some difference yes but the extent to which they sounded different was very interesting. As an example, the Ikea cutting board emphasized a more clinical sound while the Auralex Isotone platform sounded much more relaxed in it's emphasis.

Probably sounds crazy to some and if I didn't experience it clearly and undeniably for myself I would probably say the same.

Oh and I'm a BIG fan of Herbie's stuff. Plus they give a 90 day no questions ask return period. Have had great results with the tenderfoot and big fat dots. Really great stuff.

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Putting a Rega on mdf should be a felony.

Cheap and good. Ikea Lack
    Better but not cheap. Quadraspire Stage
    Best if you can use it. Rega's current wall shelf.

11. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have used these in the past and they work well although they do stain so you need to put something down to protect your furniture. A crap load cheaper than all those highfalutin' isolation thingies that in many instances do nothing except waste your $$$$$$$.

Vibrapod Isolator Isolation Feet-Audio Advisor

I ended up buying some blocks made of dense foam and felt at the .99 cent discount store which also works well. I'll have to get another pack and photograph it and post it. I have used these extensively in my audio system under many pieces of equipment.

12. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Rega makes lower cost TTs too...

build a sandbox if you really want SQ

13. McGuy

Unless I'm mistaken (probably am), MDF is a lot heavier and denser than the Ikea stuff. MDF is pretty heavy and the Ikea stuff is almost hollow inside.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You are correct. That's what suits the Rega tables best. I have a solid wood stand that I have had one on forever and it's pretty tight, but it isn't as light as the Quadraspire Stage or the Ikea Lack. Those have been classic bases for Rega tables and offering excellent sound.
    -Bill

McGuy likes this.
  15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I use to take this attitude but their racks actually look pretty nice. I get the impression racks were their starting point before they got into the game of gluing Office Depot power strips to wooden blocks and wrapping the cord in saran wrap.

16. McGuy

not sure what would be best for a VPI. pretty heavy unit

17. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Even Planar 1 owners should be able to afford a 10 buck Ikea Lack.
    The Quadraspire Stage is 200 bucks. Made of bamboo with I think small bronze feet. Looks to be maybe a quarter inch thick with the middle cut out of it. Rigid and light as hell. When my budget recovers, I may try one.
    The Rega wall shelf is the perfect shelf for all Regas, if you can mount it in your listening room.

When it comes to Rega tables, keep the sandbox for your grandchildren. It is terrible advice.

18. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

what is your problem with sand boxes???

19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Nothing, unless you plan on putting one under a Rega table. You are thinking of how to isolate a mass loaded table, not a minimum mass Rega. Rega tables plinths get ligher as you go up the line, at the same time the platters get more massive and bracing is applied to turn the platter bearing and tonearm mount into a rigid beam. The idea is that the very light mass of the plinths cannot transfer energy to the much heavier platter/arm beam. The stand is for all purposes, part of the plinth. Putting a high end Rega onto a high mass object defeats the purpose.

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

A cement slab.
    -Bill

Mike from NYC and McGuy like this.
  21. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

pretty clear someone here doesn't understand sandboxes....

missan likes this.
  22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Pretty sure someone here does not own a Rega. When you build a light and rigid sand box, I would love to see it.

23. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

a sand box greatly reduces structure borne vibrations - if you aren't able to do the analysis, at least give one a try

missan likes this.
  24. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

25. jnthn_7

jnthn_7 Active Member Thread Starter

I accually ended up getting these:

[​IMG]

They are basically vibration absorbant foam for hifi components.
    I placed 4 under each corner of the Lack and they seem to do the job nicely :) I ended up having 4 spares so I placed them under my Marantz amp aswell :)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.