Where's my Nagaoka peeps at?!?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloalien, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Hello Hail Vinyl and everyone!

I'm very much sorry that my reply is so late...
    Yes, I have returned to provide Nagaoka. But, just now, I am able to provide replacement stylus ONLY. I'm sorry for NOT getting ready for cartridge right now. However I will return to be for cartridge soon.

I'm very much pleased if you would understand my situation, and waiting for my returning to sell cartridge.

I'll be happy when my friends be happier!!!
    Please watch my Facebook and keep in touch again!
    Thank you again!
    Thank you again!

Audiokazu

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. critalball

critalball Active Member

Hi everyone. I am a first time poster on this forum but have followed some of the forum topics for a while now. I started my Nagaoka experience by buying a used MP30 cartridge about 6 months ago. Mounted it on an SL1200 and was shocked to have a really bad hum problem. I had never owned a metal-bodied cartridge before and the seller was good enough to walk me through lifting the ground. Really impressed with the MP30 but after confirming I could replace the stylus with an MP500 stylus, I pulled the trigger. Purchased through a Japanese seller on ebay for 260$ it effectively gave me a new MP500 cartridge for about 500$ as I paid 240$ for the used MP30. So now I have the MP500 mounted on a CJ Walker CJ61. I have no desire to upgrade any further. Wonderful combo. As a footnote I have purchased a Project Debut Carbon on Craigslist and purchased and mounted a Nagaoka MP110 on it. Tell you what guys...that combo gives me 80-85% of the Walker/MP500. One of my kids will probably get the Project. Lucky them.

Jelloalien, Leonthepro and dbsea like this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I like my Nagaoka MP-110. Although cheaper, it not rarely sounds better than my Ortofon 2M Blue, specially in brighter records. Also, it tracks better inner grooves on some records bought used that are trouble for the 2M Blue. A lot of people who took their time to listen to my needledrops (click here) preferred it to my surprise.

I want to try more advanced stylii shapes and considering what I just said, maybe I should buy a more refined Nagaoka instead of an Ortofon.

In the Nagaoka line, only have fine line in the MP-500, which is about as expensive as the 2M Black, while Ortofon has a fine line also in the 2M Bronze.

So I'm wondering wether I should go with Nagaoka MP-500, Ortofon 2M Black or Ortofon 2M Bronze.

Any thoughts?

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You could try an Ortofon MC 3 Turbo. High output MC so you can use an MM phono stage.

Listen on youtube preferably since the videos here have downgraded soundquality.

punkmusick likes this.
  5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Yes, I'm considering this one too, I even opened a thread about it:

Ortofon MC-3 Turbo or 2M Bronze

There's a forum member that has the same turntable I have (Pioneer PLX-1000), used several carts on it and said the best suited was MC-3.

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I got lucky and was able to buy a used MP-50 cartridge and got a great deal on a new 500 stylus. Less than half the cost of a new MP-500. The MP-50 is quite literally the same as the 500, just an older model. Look for the older cartridge series and you might be able to find a bargain.

punkmusick likes this.
  7. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

From a post on AK:

This is from Nagaoka below on the differences between the MP50 and MP 500:

Answer :
    MP-30 and MP-50
    MP-300 MP-500
    Old MP series ( 30,50), the cartridge frames are made from mouldings.
    300,500 are hand made. Polished by hand one by one. Size is a bit smaller and weight is lighter.
    Damper is different. We have improved damper of new MPseries. ( 300 and 500)
    We have improved the quality. So MP-300 and MP-500 are better than MP-30 and MP-50.
    MP-30 and MP-50, We no more manufacture.
    Best regards,
    Sonoe NAGAOKA - ANDERSSON

Jelloalien, critalball and Leonthepro like this.
  8. Leonthepro

At least the internal generator wasnt mentioned as different. So it shouldnt be a huge difference I dont think, but maybe a small one from the new damper.

9. JustGotPaid

I used to have an MP20 maybe 10 years ago. Wish I never sold it. Would love a 200, 300, or 500 in the stable but price has really gone up on them. Like $1000+13%tax here in Canada for the 500.

nosliw and Leonthepro like this.
  10. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie Thread Starter

I deal with the Canadian nagaoka distributor and he’s told me that the nagaoka mp500 has an upgraded generator compared to the mp50.

I own a mp50 and love it. I doubt even if the mp500 is a little bit better I would notice much of a difference in sound (personally).

It’s a shame nagaoka styli are so pricy here in Canada as I’d love more of a competitive market.

nosliw and Leonthepro like this.
  11. Jelloalien

Hey, I just noticed your location. I'm in Kitchener :)

12. critalball

critalball Active Member

Great info JustGotPaid. Thanks

13. Jelloalien

14. JustGotPaid

Yup. I'm here in KW. I saw ur post that your local and sell nagaoka stylus's. So I will keep you in mind especially if I run across an MP body in the future.

Jelloalien likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

Nani!? Where is MP-150?

16. Jelloalien

Not on that list I guess.

17. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

There's a huge jump in price when you move up from the MP-110, are the 150, 200, 300 really that much better?

displayname likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

You decide, take a few minutes to listen through if you can, preferably on youtubes site:

Just purely stat wise a Nude stylus can make a difference sonically but its also much more gentle on your record grooves which I like a lot. Dont go putting a JNP-150 on your MP-110 body though.

displayname likes this.
  19. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I was thinking of putting a JNP-200 stylus on the 110 body when it's time to renew. Quite a cheap upgrade when bought direct from Japan.

20. Leonthepro

I thought the same until I heard this video. Its been a common practice but has also been debated if it yeilds proper results as Nagaoka carts share their bodies in pairs.

• 100 - 110 body shared
    • 150 - 200 body shared
    • 300 - 500 body shared
    Have a listen to this video which was made recently that I think shuts down all discussion. Not because one is right or wrong, but because if you think the difference is small enough then you can comfortably combine the two.
    Personally I think the difference is really big. Bigger than on the last video comparing the 110 to 150.

displayname and nosliw like this.
  21. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I'd love to find a used 150 cartridge but I personally haven't come across too many nagaokas in the used realm. I am using a JNP 200 stylus on my 110 body and have noticed an uptick in quality though I am sure with the proper cartridge the difference would be even better. I like using my MP-50 with 500 stylus on my news and older vinyl in good shape but use the 110 cartridge on my used vinyl that isn't in the best of shape.

displayname and Leonthepro like this.
  22. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

It is said that the Goldring 2000 Series bodies are made by Nagaoka. The Goldring's seem to have more advanced stylus shapes at lower prices than the Nagaoka's. I wonder if Goldring produces their own styli, or if Nagaoka makes the styli for them as well?

patient_ot likes this.
  23. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I don’t have the hands on experience with this, but I’ve read the MP-200 with Boron makes a pretty significant difference. I would think it does as well since that’s a somewhat more exotic material.

24. Leonthepro

It does make it lighter which can be a big benefit, but I wonder how big it is because the alluminium cantilevers tend to be hollow if well made. But I assume Nagaoka wouldnt put it out unless it was actually lighter.

displayname likes this.
  25. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I believe it's lighter and stiffer. I think the weight might be measurable, but the stiffness would probably make a noticeable change in the sound too. I'd guess from the MP-150 it might be a smaller step, but from the 110 I'd imagine it's pretty noticeable.

Leonthepro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.