Paul McCartney greatest flaw as an artist ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It pains me to tell you this, but now you're being delusional! I was there, I've been having my McCartney parties for years, all kinds of people in attendance many of them musicians! No one was smiling with their lips closed! If they didn't like something they would say so and vice versa!

It's you who has a McCartney complex!

maywitch and Darrin L. like this.
  2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

And that's not counting all the songs they gave away, during those years.

3. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

The critical drubbing of Ram has got to be one of the biggest lies in the history of rock. It’s the thorn in our flesh of Paul fans and probably Paul himself, no, not the apostle, McCartney, because it is so undeserved, and yet it cannot be taken away.

Crimson jon likes this.
  4. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I like you maccafan....sending you a big hug.....we're on the same side of the McCartney fence here. You love him for what he created, I love him enough to be upset at what he wasted, but in the end it's the same passion. I promise not to jump a waterfall while chasing a polar bear and showering every hour on a flower if you do.

Let me ask you a question: Were these nude McCartney parties?

muffmasterh likes this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It seems some think that McCartney's Wings/solo material contains more bad than good.

Well I'm not of that camp and never have been! I think that the vast majority of this material is good to fantastic! Now notice I said the vast majority, so obviously that means not all of it. The only albums where I think differently are McCartney II and The Fireman.

Paul McCartney since the Beatles has produced way way more good music than bad!

Darrin L. likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'm not the kind of guy who plays around on forums, when people start what I think is snide remarks and silliness, I no longer participate!

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...I believe Lennon, based on his song by song breakdowns, in the "Playboy" interviews, prior to his death. But yeah...let's just ignore facts, because it doesn't fit your narrative, and because you"believe it in your heart", as if that's worth anything.

maywitch and muffmasterh like this.
  8. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

I was making a peace offering. Like a pickle that is sour, like a cellphone needs a tower.

9. mr fish

mr fish Forum Resident

"Wings - the band that the Beatles could have been!"

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Getting back to what I think is a McCartney flaw, as I posted earlier, it's his live performance setlist since the 80s!

Now the Beatle heavy setlist was cool for maybe two tours, but after that he just kept it Beatle heavy tour after tour after tour, and he still does?
    C'mon, one or two tours could have been dedicated more to his Wings/solo material? No one has ever said don't play any Beatles,
    but he certainly could have performed more Wings/solo material than he has.

11. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

did Yoda write #6?

12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes, this is why I don't ever want to see him live. If he was still living in the present, songwise/art wise, I would be more interested but I can't help but think it's just a tribute show to the Beatles with his long time lackeys by his side pumping it out.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I shouldn't be so surprised at how jaded people can be, but I am.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

IMO part of the problem is right in the thread title, Paul as artist. Paul was never some tortured soul seeking peace. Without John, there was no one to balance Paul's natural sentimentality.

muffmasterh likes this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I have a feeling he was exactly that, a tortured soul seeking peace, when The Beatles were breaking apart and he didn't know how to proceed forward. Not that I think that's the definition of an artist. But, by your definition, he was an artist from at least 1969 and maybe earlier.

16. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

No Magneto or Rock Show? Letting Go? How do you make a mix for kids and ignore Venus and Mars?

And are you calling Say Say Say, Ebony and Ivory, and No More Lonely Nights "early Paul"?

Kind of a perplexing post, to be honest.

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

No flaws.

tteal and angelees like this.
  18. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

SIDE A

Band On The Run
    Too Many People
    Maybe I’m Amazed
    Jet
    Let Me Roll It
    Hi Hi Hi
    Live and Let Die

SIDE B

Venus and Mars
    Rock Show
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    Every Night
    Junior’s Farm
    My Love
    Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

19. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

That's a very narrow and misguided definition of art. Art can be joyful. It doesn't have to be "tortured."

John probably needed Paul more than the other way around, as was proved by his sparse and spotty solo output.

CJBx7 and maywitch like this.
  20. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

On the other hand, Paul released too much music. He needed John to tell him when his material wasn’t up to snuff.

21. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

spotty could equally describe Pauls output for the period that John was active, from 1975-80 John then took a break for reasons we all know. but for the period he was active his output was not sparse.

After 1980 he was dead so his output was indeed sparse after that but that was not John's fault.

For the period they were both active 70-75 they were about as prolific - and spotty - as each other.

22. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Why was he not able to do the same with his own work and Yoko's?

And people seem to forget that John was not a fan of much of Paul's work in the later years of the Beatles and he had no power in stopping it being released. If John had his way the medley of Abbey Road would never have been released.

maywitch and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  23. muffmasterh

indeed he did and equally Macca needed John to curb his more twee and mawkish tendencies, together - and even when even not writing together - they were greater than the sum of their parts, in short they desperately needed each other.

Diamond Star Halo and Darrin L. like this.
  24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Really...so losing his mother at such an early age did not produce any torture or angst. I'm curious how you are such an authority on the relationship between he and has mother.
    Yeah...unlike Lennon, he didn't exploit the death of his mother, well into his thirties. Lennon's angst appeared to be disingenuous and manufactured.

tteal and maywitch like this.
  25. muffmasterh

exactly John needed Paul to stop his excessess too and they were enough counterweight to each other so that Paul could have enough to get the medley through but would probably never have dared brought half the stuff from his solo career to the table if John had been there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.