My new addition: Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/Lingo*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HankM, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankM

HankM Senior Member Thread Starter

My new addition to my system, Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/Lingo. My Dad totally hooked me up with this (this was his 3rd Linn). Not sure what cartridge to go with, Ortofon 2M Bronze or Audio Technica AT33PTG/II (these are two that I already own). Also thinking of a cork mat instead of felt even though the felt is classic Linn. I have hardwood floors in my upstairs listening room and so far no footfall skips. Its pretty solid, will check how level it is with spirit level.

[​IMG]

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(Thread title changed, as per forum guidelines.)

HankM and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would stay with the felt mat. And believe or not , one side sounds usually sounds better than the other.

4. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Yeah, agreed! I have the underside of mine marked with a bit of tippex so I won't forget, how sad is that!

JG

chacha and HankM like this.
  5. HankM

I’ve heard and read about this before. Looks like I’ll be listening to both sides. BTW, this table was tuned by David Wilson of Accent On Music 2 years ago.

6. chacha

Nothin sad about that! I have a small piece of tape on the under side of mine. We need to do it cause sometimes static electricity will cause the mat to stick and fall from the record.

7. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

In 36 years of owing an LP12, I've never once compared the sound of the mat with different sides up. Maybe, I'll give it a try later on - I don't want anyone to think I have a closed mind. ;)

fortherecord, Randoms and JNTEX like this.
  8. chacha

You might be surprised.

9. chacha

My table is almost 30 years old and I’m thinking of having the springs & grommets replaced and having a tune up. Have you ever done that? I haven’t and am a little concerned that it might change the character of the table. Any experience with that?

10. Newton John

Yes, I got that done some time around 1990. It's such long time ago I can't remember much about it. I think I would have remembered if the character had changed. Certainly, I wasn't disappointed and regarded it as making the turntable work like it did when new.

What I do remember well is getting more work done in 1998 and having Cirkus fitted at same time. I am not sure if grommets and springs were involved. The turntable was probably overdue a setup because I had moved house a couple of times. The improvement in sound was absolutely stunning. I remember the first record I played, Graceland. The rhythms sounded amazing.

That is all etched in my mind because it happened during my wife's first visit. She was very surprised because she didn't know records could sound that good.

I don't think any of the upgrades I done over the decades have changed the character of the deck just made it more musical, rhythmical and alive. I've never done any third party upgrades always official Linn ones.

Randoms and chacha like this.
  11. HankM

Do you guys have the bottom cover on your LP12? I've also heard some owners who remove it.

12. Newton John

Sorry, can't help. Never tried that. I presume it's there for safety reasons.

HankM likes this.
  13. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Hi, the early flimsy boards were often removed to Improve sound quality and were really only there for safety reasons with the old Valhalla power supply, the newer solid base board and trampolinn
    Boards add structural integrity and do sound much better than the old board and no board.
    Hope this helps.

14. HankM

Thank you. I’m not sure if this had a new board installed after the Lingo upgrade.

Musicman1963 likes this.
  15. Musicman1963

Maybe give your dealer a call to confirm, by the looks of your plinth it's an early one as I can see the insert for the old lid prop, a newer base would definitely give you a little boost in sound quality I did just this as mine was an earlyish pre braced job.

16. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Congrats on your new table. I'm sure it's even a bit more special coming from your father. As far as mats go, I did the unthinkable and swapped out the felt Rega mat on my Planar 6 for the cork one I had lying around and I actually prefer the cork mat. Go figure.

17. HankM

Thanks, I’ll ask my Dad if it was replaced. I notice though that it feels flimsy, almost like it is suspended. This one does have the Trampoline though

18. HankM

Thanks man! My Dad is always changing turntables, had so many throughout the years of my life. I’m gonna listen closely while using the felt may to start than explore after that.

19. Musicman1963

Mmmmm sounds like the original fibreboard base

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The LP12 can sound a bit warm, so I'd start with whichever cartridge you find to sound brighter, probably the AT, although I'm not well familiar with that model.
    -Bill

HankM likes this.
  21. HankM

Thanks for the advice. Right now I’m running with a 2M Black which will be going on my Dad’s other table.

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The 2m Black and 2m Bronze are identical accept for the stylus. So you can simply swap stylus without removing the cartridge body from the table, and oila, you have a Bronze installed and aligned, and your dad has a Black.
    -Bill

23. HankM

Yes, that I knew.

24. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

That is a nice Setup! It is almost identical to mine - I am currently using a 1984 LP12 (serial number 46-something) with Lingo I PSU, a rebuilt Ittok LVII and an Audio Technica AT-33EV pickup. Does your LP12 already have the Circus bearing and subchassis?

fortherecord likes this.
  25. HankM

Thank you!
    No Circus bearing on this one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.