Phono upgrade options

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana Thread Starter

HI All

I am currently considering options to upgrade my phono as it feels like the weakest link in the chain and I am hoping you can help guide me in this process.

Currently running a musical surroundings phonomena ii which has been a good starting point on getting into the black stuff. It was my first phono to go with my first foray into turn tables. Mainly looking for something with a lower noise floor if thats even possible. SS preferred over tubes so I can leave it running 24x7.

It will be paired with a TD 124 and ARC Ref 3 pre so have enough tubes in the mix already

All ideas welcome & thanks for your valued input

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

What is your budget and what cart are you using?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

He lists the 2M Black in his profile

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Vertere Phono 1, very flexible, can handle pretty much any cart, does everything pretty much perfectly and has a ridiculously low noise floor, a bargain at £1000.

5. 1000 pounds, rediculas price for a phono stage. Plenty of brilliant ones for less than that. Just my opinion

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Relatively cheap for a phono stage these days I'm afraid and as the OP wants an upgrade from what is a £750 phono stage in the UK I guess it's not a lot more money for him to spend.

I'd happily agree that there are plenty of excellent stages for less though, the question is are they as good as the Vertere.

Rolltide and Fishoutofwater like this.
  7. Take your point. I have tested loads of phon stages over the years and thankfully never preferred any other than mine! Wish i had a mono switch though. I guess its all a matter of taste. Good luck to out OP

Dubmart likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Being happy with what you have is always a very good thing in this hobby, especially for your bank account.:righton:

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback, cart is indeed a 2m black. Like my phono its the only cart I have ever purchased. Dont know the sonics of anything else in my own rig.

Budget wise is with in reason, a subjective amount. Best to keep it under 3k USD unless there is a solid reason to invest more.

Please keep the ideas flowing so I can research them and hopefully try them at home

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

If you like your Ref 3 you should hear one of their phono stages. I had the original Phonomena and upgraded to a PH5. Big improvement although the Phonomena was very good to begin with.

11. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I used to run the original Phonomena - the 12V power supply really made a difference, highly recommended if you're not using one already

12. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I actually had the battery power supply for the Phonomena.

13. Tom Littlefield

Look into Sutherland, I have the Insight and it is a bargain at $1400

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Your opinion doesn't matter if it's not based on listening to the components. Why not post about phono stages you've actually heard?

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I've read a sizable amount of people's feedback concerning the Allnic H1201, all glowing, and all indicating a huge upgrade from whatever they were using before. It's at the top-end of your budget but thought I'd mention it.

Allnic Audio H1201 Phono Stage Amplifier : care-audio.com

That's definitely one on my short list of eventual upgrades... in a few years from now, unfortunately.

Manimal and Sugar Man like this.
  16. Tom Littlefield

The max gain it provides for a MC is only 32db, so he will also need a SUT if he every wants a LOMC in his system

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yikes! I never noticed that before. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. A SUT would definitely work but of course jack up the price by an extra 1K.

18. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I think you misunderstood the design, it uses transformer for MC, so that is the additional gain through MC inputs.

Strat-Mangler, Seafinch and octaneTom like this.
  19. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

This is correct. The four MC settings are in addition to the MM output.

The beauty of the Allnic is that it uses transformers for the MC, which is the best way to get what you need from your MC cartridge.

20. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

I suggest you'll try a low output MC cartridge first, it made a big difference in my case even if it wasn't an expensive one. I went from the Denon DL-110 to Ortofon MC-25E, I still have it seven years later. I checked your phono and from what I see it can play low MC's, if you like the sound check it with an MC first. I have the Trichord Dino MK I for 15 years, I like it and it's priced reasonably in the used market. Supposely the third edition is even better but I have heard only the first one.
    Personally if I was going to upgrade I would go for the Dact CT100. Unfortunately it's only a module and you'll need a power supply but I have heard it several times and it's amazing. Even if it doesn't cost $20.000...

21. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I agree that a better cartridge might be a bigger upgrade than a new phono. I say that having never heard the OPs cartridge but I have a strong preference for MC carts.

22. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I just bought the McIntosh MP100 - love it.

23. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Not sure I agree with the move to MC cart suggestions as his first step. First off the 2M Black is no slouch when it comes to carts, and if you ACTUALLY heard it and feel that way about it then it was either on lousy gear, not setup properly or old/defective. I have the Ania MC cart from Rega and in my system the 2M Black is better. If you're in the N.E. PA area you are welcome to come and check it out for yourself -just shoot me an IM. For me replacing the phono stage yielded some of the biggest results I have ever experienced with my gear and the different sound it produced. In fact so much so that I am now seriously addicted to trying every phono stage out there. I wish I were joking.

For your system I would suggest trying the Black Cube SEII, a bit better than the Sutherland Insight in my opinion and yes I had both hooked up to my system so that advice is from hearing them both. Now I am currently using the built in stage on the CM2 and it is really quite nice with the 2M Black. So based off that I might also suggest the Rogue Triton which is SS and much better than the built in on the CM2. Too bad you are ruling out tubes. That is where the real magic happens but if you are not careful it can be worse than heroin.

Dubmart and punkmusick like this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Lehmann Black Cubes, really seem to be made for Ortofon MMs, not personally tried the 2M Black with one, but other 2Ms and OMs definitely work extremely well with them and they are pretty good with other carts as well, I'd still recommend the Vertere though.:)

mike catucci likes this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I know you said you don't want tubes but at this price point, I'd look at those options. The Manley Chinook, VTL 2.5 and several others really are remarkable. I don't find they have a "tube sounds" as much as they just kick ass. in the world of SS, I'd look at this...MOON by Simaudio - Neo 310LP Phono Preamplifier | Shop Music Direct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.