Record stores in Ohio & Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by panicproject, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Finders Records in Bowling Green. Not too far of a drive off the interstate. Large selection of new vinyl. Very nice looking store. Been in business since '71.

The website has the basic info...

Finders records

Their Facebook page has more photos...

Finders Records

Fifth-Chord and Benno123 like this.
  2. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl Thread Starter

thanks! looks great!

clhboa likes this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Do they still have one called Magnolia Thunderpussy?

4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

In Lima, Ohio there is one called Groamys. Here is the Facebook page....

Groamy's Cd's and Tapes

Also, In Findlay, Ohio a friend of mine sells records out of his garage by appointment. Calls his store The Record Retreat. Here's it's Facebook page...

The Record Retreat

Benno123 likes this.
  5. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Finders is primarily new records. Their selection is insane and you can spend all your vacation money there, easily.

If you're around Cleveland and you go the Rock Hall, remember that you can probably find all those records in the gift shop around town for less. For used records check out Blue Arrow, A Separate Reality and Hausfrau. For a mix of used and new try My Mind's Eye in Lakewood, Vinyl Groove in Bedford, Hollow Bone in Fairlawn, Square Records in Akron and any of The Exchange stores (they're all different - Parma is Metal, Lakewood is more Indie). Loop is cool, but small. Look for the NE Ohio Vinyl Club on Facebook when you get closer. They'll recommend stuff and you never know, they may be doing a swap while you're here.

Fifth-Chord and panicproject like this.
  6. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Yeah, it's still there.

7. panicproject

thanks!! loads for me to get my teeth into.

Benno123 likes this.
  8. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I'm near The Record Den in Mentor, Ohio, at least a couple times a month. I'd go there if I were already in the area, had quite a bit of time to spend digging through mostly unorganized stacks, expected a good portion of records to be in average (at best) condition, but if I found something I wanted it would likely be inexpensive.

If I'm around Tremont I'll stop in A Separate Reality records. I've mainly looked at jazz there. (It specializes in psychedelic rock, but the jazz section is good). From what I recall, many albums in the main section tend to be in the $20-$30 range, but there are also $1 and $5 sections where I've found quite a few good records. I've also overheard interesting conversations there.

That's about all I've got. I've met the owner of A Bent Crayon a few times (mutual friends), but I've not been to his shop as I'm rarely on that side of Cleveland during daylight hours. Cool dude, though.

9. panicproject

Thanks! will add to my list :)

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes not sure how I forgot Magnolia Thunderpussy. Another very solid store in Columbus OH.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Yeah, if you can get past the tattooed freak show of their staff, which is far, far from the "Magnolia Thunderpussy" of the past. Their LP selection is still fairly good, but their CD department keeps falling apart more and more, each time that I visit.

12. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Greetings!

There are a lot of great stores listed so far in this thread and I've been to many of them and agree. I wanted to share a few of my favorites along with links to videos I produced which will give you a look at the store, location and in some cases meet the owners. Safe travels and Cheers!

A.K.A. Philadelphia, PA Prog hunters might get lucky. Nice shop in Historic area. CDs + Vinyl.

Eides Entertainment (With Pittsburgh Joe from That Metal Show) Pittsburgh, PA 3 floors of media goodness. Right on Penn St. Lots of other types of shops/eats.

Eides Entertainment Featuring "Joe From Pittsburgh"! Record Stores Across America S0505

Mind Cure Pittsburgh, PA Great local rock, punk and metal bands. Have their own label. New and Used. Metal heads must stop.

Mind Cure Records | Pittsburgh, PA | Record Stores Across America

Jerry’s Records – Pittsburgh, PA This is a must stop for me! Legendary store, bargains. Get a t-shirt!

Jerry's Records | Pittsburgh, PA | Record Stores Across America S09E01

Memory Lane Records Columbus, OH Under the radar. Open Saturday only. Gotta dig and get dirty to find the gems. 45s. A short drive to any of the Columbus, OH stores listed here.

Memory Lane Records | Hilltop USA | Record Stores Across America SO8E01

Omega Music Dayton, OH Huge variety, peak and valley pricing. Lots of other types of shops/eats there in the Oregan District.

Omega Music | Dayton, OH | Record Stores Across America S08E03

Spoonful Records Columbus, OH Great aesthetics, free pin ball, family owned business, great prices, new and used. I'd stop in everyday if I could.

Record Stores Across America | Spoonful Records | Columbus OH | S04E06

Lost Weekend Columbus, OH Always walk away happy. Other things to do in Clintonville.

Lost Weekend Records | Columbus, OH S0303

Plaid Room Loveland, OH (Near Cincinnati) Great shop, they have their own label 'Colemine Records' these 45s and singles are HOT and growing with popularity. Load up to save on shipping and inflated online prices! They are online and brick and mortar. Live music. OHIO SOUL and FUNK walking paths, rent bikes, shops/eats.

Plaid Room Records | Loveland, OH | Record Stores Across America S07E03

greelywinger and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Sadly AKA closed a few years back. I think the owner had a stroke.

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Didn't know Eides was still there. Used to make weekly trips there on the T when I was in high school. It was heaven for a punk skater kid such as myself.

Agree on Spoonful and Lost Weekend but next time you are in Columbus check out Uses Kids, Records per Minute, Elizabeth's, and Magnolia Thunderpussy.

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  15. panicproject

WOW!!! Thank you. What great list. Will be spending a lot of money I reckon :laugh:

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  16. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I was not aware, that is sad news. Thank you for the information and I've updated the video to reflect the store is now closed.

17. panicproject

By the way, I have spent the last 24 hours stuck on youtube watching your videos!!!

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  18. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I'm humbled, thank you for watching!

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, these would be three of my top four recommendations for Philadelphia and south(ish) Jersey.

I'd also add a newer, lesser-known Philly spot with good used LPs and CD (and some 45s and cassettes), good prices and very nice owner: Wild Mutation Records on the 2200 block of Frankford Ave in Fishtown, Philadelphia.

panicproject and findog3103 like this.
  20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

If you've got your dates set by now, you can check the informative Record Shows of America page (and get a lesson in early 1990s Web design while you're at it).

Record Shows Of America Home Page

21. panicproject

Got my dates so will check this. Thanks!

22. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Not a fan. Stock doesn't change much,meaning,to me,they ain't selling much. I understand kids not involved with physical media,but one would think college town professors would be unloading stuff. It doesn't seem to happen. Move to much larger digs a few years ago didn't shake things up-they missed an opportunity to enter the 2010s and leave the 1990s behind.Rare to see the weird or wacky and ,though I have no proof outside of the USPS bins ready to go,the good stuff doesn't seem to make it to the sales floor. Lots of promo stuff priced to collect dust. They do get a full load of Record Store day stuff,but they keep stock behind the sales area,out of the consumer's hands,making for a difficult way to buy. RSD is a celebration of all things physical-hard to do if your product is handled like an old jewelry store. Used LPs,no matter how battered,carry a price to stay. It is just a frustrating place to actually buy.
    My prejudice against YO is accelerated by my proximity to Double Decker in Allentown. Lots of merchandise coming in hourly,leaving hourly. Tons of 45s,used vinyl, and a room full of trashed treasures for fifty cents. DD caught on to the scam of RSD a couple of years ago and does not participate. They do their own version,even opening up two hours earlier than YO on that day with more than a few prized goodies. Even sealed new vinyl is not a big mover in physical stores,so they get some but do not jump up and down. Too many online vendors and fan web sites meaning sealed non-returnable merchandise with a limited markup,often needing C.O.D. before it comes to the store,resulting in stuff that takes up valuable inventory dollars.

23. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

You also have Stan's Record Bar a block down from Mr Suit in Lancaster

panicproject likes this.
  24. Has that gotten any better, it was looking better battered/sad during the cd era, not as well kept/curated as Mr Suit.

25. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

I think Stan's has gotten a little better (selection wise), I picked quite a few gems in there just a few months ago (PIL, XTC & Vangelis), although I thought his prices were a little high. Record Connection in Ephrata is my first goto (best prices), then Mr Suit after that, and of course the record flea market on the second Sunday of every month (www.recordcollectors.org). I get there early and always see the owner of Mr Suit picking through my favorite vendors.

zphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.