Buying tubes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard--W, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

There have been reports of con jobs where someone will buy cheap modern tubes from foreign countries, wipe off the labels/branding, then re-label/re-brand the tubes with quality vintage tube labels/brands. People who really know tubes can spot these fakes easily because they look at the internal structure of the tubes and other manufacturing details. As long as you purchase from a trusted tube dealer, you don't need to worry about that happening to you. If you purchase tubes from online auction websites and other websites where anybody can sell anything, then you could get burned.

This is not to be confused with companies in the '50s to '70s making tubes for other tube companies. That happened a lot. Just few examples (very few):
    Tung-Sol made 6550 tubes for RCA that are marked RCA.
    Mullard made EL34 tubes for Amperex that are marked Amperex.
    GE made 6L6 GC tubes for organ manufacturers like Baldwin that are marked Baldwin.

Lots of stuff like that happened in the old days and was legitimate. Again, people who really know tubes can easily spot quality vintage re-branded tubes because they look at the internal structure of the tubes and other manufacturing details.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    389 Tripower and Richard--W like this.
  2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed - Andy knows more than seems possible.

Richard--W and RDriftwood like this.
  3. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

I've had really good luck with Viva Tubes. They keep a comprehensive inventory on their website and have good sales on vintage and new tubes. Customer service is A1.

vivatubes.com

4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Kevin is probably the best in the business. The other guy... not so much.

Richard--W likes this.
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

vacuumtubes.net is a huge supplier and will look for certain brands of tubes. IERC in Orlando, FL will also search for certain brands of tubes. But, they do not usually have the great stock of tubes like Kevin Deal. But, less expensive than Kevin deal. On some tubes Brent Jessee is also less expensive than Kevin Deal.

I also went to Kevin Deals internet site and did not find but a few NOS 12AX7s. I did buy two RCA 12AX7 black plate from Brent Jessie last Wednesday, but it did take until Friday to get my tubes shipped.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any buying tubes apps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.