Jimi Hendrix - any difference between Red House on the UK debut and the Blues comp?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

Red House is one of my favorite songs from anyone.
    I had the Blues comp, but read on wiki that the UK Are You Experienced had extra talking.
    I have the 2010 UK Are You Experienced CD as of today, but not sure if there's any difference. Thanks

2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the CD's are all taken from a needledrop of a poor sounding LP, with the ending banter chopped off.

The only complete, excellent sounding versions are fan-made needledrops, such as the Prof Stoned "deluxe" or the "Mono Masters" collection.

905 likes this.
  3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Isn't the original West German Polydor AYE CD made from a safety tape with the banter at the end of "Red House" in tact?

905 likes this.
  4. WonkyWilly

I can't recall. If so, it wasn't worth anything as a source. The "good" LP sources actually sound very nice, and don't have that weird EQ/azimuth change as on the UK LP.

vudicus likes this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I've just had a listen and the talking at the end is there.
    You're right about the source not being great, it's certainly not from the master, but that CD is still my go to digital version, flaws and all.

905 likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Blues cd - at least the original Douglas era cd - doesn't sounds like it's from a needle drop. Chat at end is cut off though.
    The EH releases version sounds like a mix of tape and needle drop; somewhere towards the end you can hear a different source cutting in.
    Perhaps the original tape is damaged.

905 likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The cds don’t sound bad. But the best way truly is a needle drop

8. WonkyWilly

Entirely needledrop. There is a spot where the sound changes as per the original UK album, which is made from a bad tape. Any mastering with these sound changes is made from a UK LP or the UK copy tape used to make the LP.

The "original tape" is lost and hasn't been used since the early 70's, if ever.

DTK likes this.
  9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Has there ever been the explanation why they used the two different tapes? How did the Olympic tape pop up again? That should have been the version to start with but once they started with the first one, was the switch on purpose or mistake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.