Are you satisfied with your hifi system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I just upgraded my whole system so I would say, yes. It has taken a little time to really get back to listing to the music but I'm there and the sound is sweet!

Bananas&blow, SandAndGlass and Airbus like this.
  2. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I wish I could remember. I was too overwhelmed to retain detailed information!

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

First, you must get rid of all that mediocre equipment that you have and replace it with a shiny new Lloyd’s all in one sound system.

The next and very important step is to alter your listening room to a “Live end, Live end” all mirror covered space that will reflect your good taste.

Lastly and this is critical: Only listen to and play vintage Bosendorfer Grands so everything won’t sound to Gershwinesque!!!! ;)

BTW Great setup you have and it would be difficult for any music lover to tare themselves away once ensconced. ENJOY

4. Considering my very limited budget, I think my system sounds damned good; but if circumstances permitted, I wouldn't be averse to upgrading it.

Airbus and Leonthepro like this.
  5. mds

mds Forum Resident

Yes I am satisified but it is a hobby and I am always experimenting to see if an improvement can be made with simple tweeks or the purchase of a new piece of equipment or accessory. I look at it the same way I do my music collection, am I satisfied with it, yes it is fantastic with thousands of CDs and music files however I keep buying looking for that next big kick.

Airbus likes this.
  6. NickC4555

NickC4555 Well-Known Member

I'm particularly satisfied that Tidal/Roon and a decent DAC have saved me from another expensive LP12 upgrade. It probably won't last.

Seafinch and Airbus like this.
  7. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

When compared to the $25K B&W + McIntosh setup in dealer's place, I am satisfied. When compared to a pair of $25K PMC speakers I auditioned many years back, I am not.

Bananas&blow and Airbus like this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

as well you should be :).....

9. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

"Satisfied" and "closed off to new possibilities" are two different things to me. I would hope I would never be closed off to new ideas and ways of getting to the same end. However, if the gauntlet was laid down and I could no longer gain any other gear than I have right now, I would be just fine. If I was told I could not accumulate any more music... ...well, then I'd be right pissed off... ...despite having enough music, currently, to last me into the great wide open.

PooreBoy, Morbius and bhazen like this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Priorities correct, sir!

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I hate being sucked in by the "grass is always greener" thought process. As others have mentioned, this is a hobby for me too and I like to experiment and upgrade. The cure is to really know the sound of your system- when it wows you and when it offends. If you find that it often wows and rarely offends and want something else- go and listen- and then go back again and listen some more.
    The allure of new stuff is cool, but I am finding that the more I listen to new systems, those with the extreme "wows" tend to have just as many, if not more instances of when the sound offends the senses.
    The sound of speed stable vinyl, tubes and British monitors often wows, mostly coasts along with extreme smoothness and pretty much never offends. I am learning that over the long haul, it is hard to beat.

12. Loop 7

Loop 7 Forum Resident

Electronics, yes. Room, definitely not.

bluesaddict, MacGyver and Kristofa like this.
  13. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Yes, extremely satisfied!

14. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

pretty much exactly this.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I purchased some NOS EL34 tubes from Europe, based upon a recommendation from another forum member. I swapped out the modern day production EL34's that came with my recently acquired Audio Note L4 Kit Amp (that was already assembled).

It takes the vintage Altec Lansing A7 theater speakers to an even nicer place, sounding more and more like those British monitor speakers.

But there is one thing about the "extreme smoothness", that being, a trade off for a more dynamic sound, that the original tubes of modern day manufacturer had.

Smoothness is beautiful, but large dynamics are exciting, like a ten second thrill ride. It continues to be a trade off.

And then, sometimes it's a case of the NOS tubes doing better on the vocals and the modern tubes sounding better on the dynamics of the instruments. For whatever reason, the EL34's in the L4 amp, put out better deep bass punch with the A7's, then do the KT88's in the PrimaLuna, Prologue Five (I can't for the life of me figure out why. Heretofore, I have not cared much for modern manufacture EL34's as they didn't seem to have the "magic" midrange that the NOS tubes seemed to possess. The other modern EL34's that I tried out in the Rogue M-150 monoblocks, were supposed to sound like EU Mullard's, but, alas, they did not have enough bass to cut the mustard.

And... every recording is different.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  16. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Very satisfied.

And already plotting my next upgrades. :D

Bananas&blow and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

So am I, it is after all a "hobby", and there are always new and interesting to try out. Besides, I believe that you need to do this acquiring thing when and while you still are able to do so.

This way, when I'm old(er) and have a limited fixed income, I won't have to make any major new purchases, because I will have all the gear that I need to carry me into my next lifetime.

A few years back, I got into tube amplifier's, so now I'm busy buying back-up amps and stockpiling tubes for my different variety of amps.

18. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

Its taken a while and a limited budget but Im very happy with my set up.

PooreBoy likes this.
  19. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

I'm happy with all my stuff but always curious what some of the other stuff is all about. I occasionally swap gear out but rarely rid myself of the other stuff, which makes for storage issues.

At the moment I'm happy where I'm at my latest addition is a new to me Musical Fidelty M1 Dac which I'm really enjoying at the moment.

PooreBoy likes this.
  20. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I put together 2 new systems last year , I'm over the moon with the cd focused set up . My vinyl set up still requires some attention regarding the phonostage.

21. Lane Mack

Lane Mack Well-Known Member

Yep I'm a happy camper!!

bluesaddict likes this.
  22. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

^^^ Nice system.

23. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I am a retired high end audio salesman and know all about "upgrade-itis."
    Therefore when I build out a listening room I decide on a budget that will make best use of the room---including money for sound treatment and new furniture if needed.
    It is like this: "I have a $400,ooo home and it DESERVES a $30,000 Steinway. It does NOT deserve a 560 thousand dollar Bosendorfer or something. $30,000 is PLENTY."
    Then, armed with a firm budget on a musical experience (switch out Steinway-insert audio rack) I then design the room taking into consideration dimensions, loudness restrictions if any and so forth.
    Once built, I then spend four or five YEARS rearranging furniture, trying out room treatments, moving speakers looking for where they best "load" the space. And cleaning up the install dropping the noise floor lower and lower.
    Perhaps buying a new refrigerator because the old one makes a racket when running.
    Once the system is tuned up to within an inch of its life (and believe me THIS is what makes it sound great, not simply spending obscene amounts of dough) I AM DONE.
    Last home I designed for myself I did the above and then did not touch the system except to play music for TEN YEARS.
    Frankly there is always more to be gained from SETUP.
    Which is why I am now in the process of building out a phono "testing lab" room.
    Here (a small office) is where I will experiment with SUTs, carts, arm modifications, TIDAL, MQA, perhaps a new Mytek Brooklyn DAC.
    THAT kind of stuff. Learning what is going on at the granular level.
    I already have a pair of Spendor S3/5 monitors there with M&K sealed box 8 inch subs under each little monitor. The room has Sonex and Sennheiser HD650s and a headphone amp.
    It should prove a nice tight microscopic listening post for being "analytical."
    Then perhaps I will eventually add what I am learning back into the main rack out in my listening hall where my far field $30,000 system is now pumping out the best sound of its career.
    I haven't bought anything much new for the main setup in the last 20 years. Replaced a few worn out doo-dads. Mostly learned about what I already have and how to keep making improvements in setup.
    This is works for ME.
    And I listen listen listen to new music, classics. Ten hours per day frequently.
    Me and the wife are intoxicated with owning such a magnificent "time machine."
    YMMV.

Tlay, Khorn, SirMarc and 1 other person like this.
  24. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I've changed my system, completely, twice this year! First was KEF LS50s, 2 REL 5Ti subs, and Benchmark Dac2 and their wonderful amp. Was a true, first in my lifetime, eye opener visa vi resolution and bass timing/accuracy. However, I found it a bit too analytical, and (I'm somewhat ashamed to say..) visually unappealing. I like wood! Anyway, I'm Very satisfied now (PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC and S300 amp, Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers in lovely walnut). I can easily enjoy this for the next 10 years, during which my 'above average for my age' (58) hearing will eventually falter. I'll need 10 years to get my pathetic finances in shape anyway!

25. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

The saying "You can never get too satisfied" certainly applies - but I don't think I want to change anything as of now. When I do finally change my hifi setup then I will wonder why I didn't do that earlier, but right now I'm content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.