45 years of "The Dark Side Of The Moon"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 81531, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 81531

81531 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Funny enough I was talking to my mom today and told her that it's very annoying to find out that
    most people's favorite Pink Floyd album is always Dark Side and not a different album. It's basically the mainstream opinion on Pink Floyd albums generally.
    My favorite Floyd album is Animals.

I found out that the 45th anniversary of the album is today by accident and decided to listen to it.
    Haven't done that in a while. Still a great album - one of their best albums but for me simply not the best of all.

Here is my ranking of the songs
    Best to worst:

01 Time
    02 Breathe
    03 The Great Gig In The Sky
    04 Money
    05 Us And Them
    06 Brain Damage
    07 Eclipse
    08 Any Colour You Like
    09 On The Run
    10 Speak To Me

Let me know your thoughts on the album.
    Cheers!

JoeF. likes this.
  2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] these are my top 3

onlyconnect, Svetonio, JNTEX and 2 others like this.
  3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Dark Side Of The Moon is just iconic and great goes without saying, everyone should own it

JoeF., mikew and lucan_g like this.
  4. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Not my fave Floyd either ,I'm more of a pre dark side guy.Still love it tho,Time still has my favorite solo of all time i just listen to the whole album maybe once a year.Funny that when I was 10 years old and discovered The Floyd when the Wall was released I looked at DSOTM as being ancient since it was 7 years old in 1980.....45 years now?

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

My fav flips between Obscured and Meddle.

But it’s equally annoying people who dismiss DSOTM. That thing is a studio masterpiece of the highest order.

marcb, footlooseman and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  6. 81531

I love Meddle and WYWH too!
    Obscured By Clouds is another one I think is pretty underrated and Division Bell is a great one but doesn't get mentioned often.

Mr_Vinyl and tinnox like this.
  7. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Dark Side definitely deserves its classic status and all its glory, and although I find it to be a phenomenal album, it seems to be a beast all on its own, apart from all the other albums. It's sort of like the inverse of Obscured by Clouds, and therefore similar, in that it came out of nowhere, never to be seen again. I think the slick production and the lack of acoustic guitars (or absence) has something to do with it. Oh, I forgot; there are no animal sounds on it either.

Svetonio and MacMan2007 like this.
  8. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Agreed! Animals is my favorite as well, but DSotM is not even slightly overrated. It deserves every bit of praise it's received. My ranking would be like this:

01 Time
    02 Breathe
    03 Brain Damage
    04 Eclipse
    05 The Great Gig In The Sky
    06 Money
    07 Us And Them
    08 On The Run
    09 Any Colour You Like
    10 Speak To Me

JoeF. likes this.
  9. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

The mystery behind Dark Side to me is how I managed to pick up only 2 physical copies of it so far, given my buying habits. 2016 vinyl is firmly in the wishlist though. :)
    Love the album since the first time I heard it.

10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

There's an African-American gentleman on Youtube who listens to albums he's never heard before live on video. At times he can be a bit annoying, he listens via chopped up Youtube playlist with questionable qualty, so there a lot of that to slog through. But his absolute astonishment over how good Great Gig In The Sky was, was really fun to witness. So yes, its one of those examples of music that stands the test of time.

gregorya and chilinvilin like this.
  11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Nothing wrong with Dark Side being someone’s favorite Floyd album. It’s perfect and contains Roger’s best lyrics.

12. Well said!

BTW: I also agree with your two choices....mine as well.

lucan_g likes this.
  13. 81531

Yeah but it kinda destroys music based conversations as most people who haven't really listened to their catalogue say it's the best
    because it's the most common album by them. That's based on my experience.

14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

The 2016 reissue is worth the price of admission and comes with all of the postcards and posters very cool and sounds great to my ears a nice quite clean listen on vinyl

Mr_Vinyl and Goldy like this.
  15. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Not my favorite of PF...But to be objective it's one of the most important albums of all times with Pepper, Kind of Blue, Thriller etc....still listen to it quite a lot. Time and Eclipse are my go to songs

16. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

Question: Does the Immersion Box contain all mixes created up to now?
    1. early mix
    2. 'original' mix
    3. quad mix
    4. 5.1 mix

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My favorite Floyd, and one I am obsessed with as far as vinyl versions. :)

18. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

"Great Gig..." =great f*** music.

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i think dark side is a special album. probably my favourite floyd album is animals, but tomorrow it may be meddle, atom heart mother or final cut.
    to me, dark side was the first album i know of that flowed so smoothly as a whole that it made it special. i see speak to me as your least favourite song on the album, and i can understand that, but to me, speak to me creates the atmosphere for breathe to be so effective. on the run again isn't much more than an interlude to give time an opportunity to stand out, and also a bit of fun for the guys playing with a synth.
    i think the importance of dark side is indisputable, but also understand why it may not be someone's favourite. in the years afterward floyd got so good at this kind of album they did make better albums, and nobody has ever, to me, equalled them in their field.

DementedAvenger and tinnox like this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

For the life of me I can’t see how anyone would find any Pink Floyd album other than DSOTM to be their best album. It was the culmination of all before it and everything after was a distillation of it in some form.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Ahhhh ... DSotM. Greatest album ever. Just a monumental achievement. Happy 45th.

To the Brothers Floyd - all 5 of you - thank you!

I’ll see you all on the Dark Side of the Moon!

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this might be of interest, or not:

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Not to mention the awesome ''rubbery'' texture of the album cover.

tinnox likes this.
  24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Somebody doesn't? Even my dad had a copy, and I'm 58.

ggg71, Mr_Vinyl, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Just returned from a holiday on the remote isle of Easdale (16 miles north of Oban, Scotland).

A local decorator, working whatever angle he can. Bet the band's solicitors will have a field-day when I send them this shot.....

[​IMG]

Svetonio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.