The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: 10 worst snubs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Now that Chicago is in, WHERE IS JETHRO TULL?!

2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I'm a Prine fan, and an old friend of mine is actually his guitar player, but the real Prine snub is the Songwriters HoF.

As much as I get where you're coming from, I think a stronger case can be made for Nyro and Newman than Prine for the RnR HoF. Especially Nyro. Does that mean they should be in there? I suppose you could debate that, but they have far greater rock and pop credentials than Prine.

Tree of Life likes this.
  3. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

4. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

5. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Paul Revere & The Raiders and The Monkees are the two most glaring omissions to me.

marmalade, t-man 54, agundy and 2 others like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

King Crimson
    Steppenwolf
    The J Geils Band
    Link Wray
    Jethro Tull

abescan, Bullis, jon9091 and 4 others like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Manfred Mann
    The Pretty Things

8. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Laibach and the JoBoxers are the most unforgiveable omissions for me.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I believe, though could be wrong, that Nyro and Newman are in for songwriting? That is what I was alluding too. I really don't want to get into a pissing contest on this. I'm not saying you are. I respect what you said but, I just completely disagree about your assessment. I could go down with a list of great Prine lyrics but really no sense to do it. I believe I have very close to every Prine album. I have one by Newman and one by Nyro. I certainly am more of a fan of Prine. I also thought I read where Alice Cooper was nominated? Look, I love Coop, but c'mon.

10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’ll give you King Crimson and the last two, those are pretty glaring omissions. Link Wray-Power chord came from him, but influence on future rock guitarists. And of course, the other two are key figures in Prog. The other two, I don’t hate them by any means, but I wouldn’t consider them Hall of Fame worthy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

Well the Top 3 as well as #6 and #9 are in now. Priest and Maiden are good choices. DL and MC, look, I love early Def Leppard and I dig some early Crue, but I wouldn’t say they’re among the greatest snubs. Or Doobie Brothers, and I like DB. Radiohead-not a Radiohead fan, but I’d put them in before those three. And of course there’s some key prog bands as well as punk/indie/alternative acts. Then again, this is geared towards a classic rock audience.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    uzn007 likes this.
  12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray
    Link Wray

marmalade, JL6161, asmiithee and 3 others like this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

If you're talking about Jason Wilber, that guy's awesome!

14. Zoot Marimba

The artists BOC have influenced include Iron Maiden,[29] Metallica,[30][31]Fates Warning,[32] Iced Earth,[33] Alice in Chains,[34] Twisted Sister,[35] Ratt,[36][37] Steel Panther,[38] Green River (later Mudhoney),[39]Body Count,[40] Possessed,[41] Candlemass,[42]Saint Vitus,[43] Trouble,[44] Opeth,[45] White Zombie,[46] Kvelertak,[47][48] HIM,[49] Turbonegro,[50]Radio Birdman,[51][52] The Cult,[53] The Minutemen,[54] Firehose,[55] Hoodoo Gurus,[56] Widespread Panic,[57] Queens of the Stone Age,[58]Umphrey’s McGee,[59] Stabbing Westward,[60]Royal Trux,[61] and Moe.[62]

The AllMusic page for stoner metal states: "Stoner metal bands updated the long, mind-bending jams and ultra-heavy riffs of bands like Black Sabbath, Blue Cheer, Blue Oyster Cult and Hawkwind by filtering their psychedelia-tinged metal and acid rock through the buzzing sound of early Sub Pop-style grunge."[63]

15. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Tull now the obvious omission.

Matthew Tate and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yep. We went to school together.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

And Ghost, pretty obviously...

Matthew Tate and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Prog rock is still overlooked by the HOF committee

King Crimson, Tull and ELP should've been inducted ages ago

Christopher B, jon9091, zen and 3 others like this.
  19. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I believe he's the frontrunner for the Songwriter's Songwriters Hall of Fame

Todd W. likes this.
  20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

While I don't think BOC is an egregious snub, I can agree, to an extent, with everything you said, except:

"I doubt either hear a Faces song and know [Rod Stewart and Ron Wood] were in the band." WTF? Really? Rod Stewart has one of the most distinctive voices in Rock. And he sang the vast majority of the Faces' songs. How would people hear a Faces song and NOT know he was in the band? I'm thinking at least 9 out of 10 people would hear "Stay With Me," and go, "Isn't that Rod Stewart singing?"

Zeki, Matthew Tate and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Sorry, I don't see this at all. I'm a big Tull fan, but as I posted on another thread, I don't see the confluence of influence and popularity that should be a prerequisite for induction.

ELP, as someone else mentioned, should be a no-brainer for popularity, and King Crimson for influence.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Motley Crue, but no King Crimson... lol

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Tom Wilson, Peter Asher and Carol Kaye are no brainers in my book. Also; Herman’s Hermits and 3 Dog Night both had 11 US top ten hits.

uzn007 likes this.
  24. Jail, where they belong.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

that is just silly.....tull played before millions at sold out arenas and stadiums for the entire decade of the 70's....besides selling millions of records...aqualung alone gets them in

Zeki, zen and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.