Did you ever buy a re-recorded album? Did you like it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Saw this by chance and thought it'd be interesting to give it a go, merely to see how close he nails the performances and production of the original Paul McCartney RAM album.

Dave Depper - The Ram Project

All recorded by one guy at home in 30 days. Assuming that's all true, I'm quite curious to find out what it sounds like. I couldn't find samples online so I bought this CD quite cheaply to satisfy my curiosity.

Care to share your experiences with listening to re-recorded albums and whether they were close to nailing it or quite off the mark?

EDIT : This is a thread about re-recording for the purpose of trying to clone an album ; not a re-imagining of it, so to speak. The example of Ryan Adams doing Taylor Swift's album is a good example of what I'm not referring to.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

Pilot's 'Two's a Crowd'. For reasons unknown to me they (David Paton and Ian Bairnson) re-recorded the whole album some 25 years later and called it 'Blue Yonder'.
    While it's not bad at all I prefer the original album - one of my favorite albums of all time (a lost gem IMO).

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I bought Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2003 years ago and think this is a great re-recording. Though, of course, the original version from 1973 is better.

5. Strat-Mangler

Thanks for pointing that out. It hadn't occurred to me re-imaginings of albums would be mentioned. I edited the OP to reflect that.

I'll check out that Sell Out album. Curious to see how it sounds.

joshm2286 likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

One I enjoy is Berlin's Greatest Hits re-recorded. They captured the essence yet updated the sound.

deredordica and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

If you want to try-before-you-buy, I believe it is on streaming services. At least it was when I first heard about it.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Yes to the first question, No to the second.

I thought you meant rerecorded by the original artists. I had a Grass Roots Greatest Hits which were rerecordings. I couldn't listen to it.

If it's more of a tribute album, like the RAM album, I still usually don't like it because it just makes me want to hear the original (to be fair, I haven't heard the RAM remake).

9. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Squeeze re recorded their hits album. I haven't heard it so can't comment on quality.

longdist01 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Some tracks are on YouTube, including some live ones. I'll check some out tonight.

11. Strat-Mangler

As long as it tries to emulate/sound like the original, it counts! :)

More of a curiosity than anything. As in "Can he/they successfully reproduce it?"

12. shakti

shakti Senior Member

There's Todd Rundgren's Faithful album, where side A has very lovingly made recreations of classic tracks by Yardbirds, Dylan, The Beatles, Beach Boys and Hendrix. Not exactly what the original poster meant, but Close. It's a great album, but mostly for some really good original songs on side B...

boboquisp, Strat-Mangler and kronning like this.
  13. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Shiny Toy Guns-We Are Pilots, love all three :laugh:

Neonbeam and Strat-Mangler like this.
  15. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Many years ago, before I knew better, I would purchase a CD re-recording of various 60s bands that I wanted to check out. Grass Roots, Hermans Hermits, etc.

They were all 'orrible.

Mark J and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Jon Povey, Wally Waller, Skip Alan & the late Pete Tolson re-recorded 'Parachute' as the xPTs (ex-Pretty Things). A fantastic album which reimagines yet honors the original. And the two bonus tracks are excellent as well, particularly Povey's 'Here We Go Again.'
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

bhazen, dormouse, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think there's some confusion as to whether we're talking about re-recordings by the same artist, or another artist covering someone else's entire album.

Not a whole album, but the one obvious winner that comes to mind is Mike & The Mechanics "All I Need Is A Miracle '96," which absolutely tramples the original version in every way. Kinda wish they'd done this with more of their early songs. (The wikipedia page lists a 1996 version of "Silent Running" as well, but I've never found any tangible proof that it exists)

I also enjoyed Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill Acoustic, even if it was a bit redundant (between her Unplugged album and JLP-era b-sides, you could've almost assembled a complete acoustic JLP already).

18. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I would have preferred it by Lou Reed. I imagine "Welcome To New York" would have worked very well.

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

When stereo first hit the scene, some labels had their artists re-record their best-selling LPs in stereo. The results are generally not bad at all.

1957:

[​IMG]

1959:

[​IMG]

1954:

[​IMG]

1960:

[​IMG]

Mr Sam, Tsomi, mr.datsun and 5 others like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

State of the Union-Black City Lights V1/V2 2002-->2005 Enjoy both equally :)

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I did end up picking up that re-recorded Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth which included some restored previously missing music transcripts. It was pretty good, however, I haven't really listened to the original all that much either.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm also confused by the "re-imagining" exception. There aren't many covers that aren't re-imagined, are there? So I'm not sure what counts. It seems like only side one of Rundgren's Faithful would count.

23. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Bands that have re-recorded their hits with more recent lineups

1. Kiss
    2. Journey
    3. Foreigner
    4. Styx
    5. Yes (technically it was "live", but they performed/recorded entire albums)
    6. Chicago

In each case, I prefer the original versions.

altaeria, graveyardboots and zphage like this.
  24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The Wedding Presents "George Best 30" is pretty good, not as good as the original mind you which is a classic.

25. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

[​IMG] From 2016
    Train does Led Zeppelin II.
    I've only heard them do "Whole Lotta Love" On TV, but I liked it and I am thinking about getting this album.

mtvgeneration and mmars982 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.