MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Balfour, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Even though I am using the most current 'key', there are a few BluRays that I get an AAC error on when I try to backup using MakeMKV. (Eg. Gentle Giant Octopus and the 2017 Sgt. Pepper). I'm not sure if the issue is hardware or software related. I am using a Samsung SE506-BB external BluRay. I've checked for new drivers (either MAC OSX or Windows) and it is not even listed on the Samsung site.

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Anydvd and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor Old Versions Downloads - VideoHelp is what I use if other options fail. It will also create a cue file of the chapter points which Audiomuxer will read and split accordingly.

3. stereoptic

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I just got a Blu ray drive and thought I would take a shot at ripping a Blu ray audio disc. I decrypted it w/ MakeMKV and the ripped it with DVDAE. DVDAE only recognized it as 1 long chapter. Where did I go wrong?

5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

You need to "backup" with MakeMKV, not extract a title.

6. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I did do back up with MakeMKV, however DVDAE just saw the backup as one long file.

7. stereoptic

What is the BluRay title? Can you show a screen grab?

8. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The blu ray is Yes- Close To The Edge. I can do a screen grab but not up to speed on how to post them to the forum. I'm going to try a different disc.

9. stereoptic

Are you using Windows or a Mac?
    There are some screen shots here:
    DVD Audio Extractor -- Screen Shots

I have found that you have to select the item on the left side, mark it checked, and also the version that you want on the bottom left (2 ch, 6ch, etc)

[​IMG]

Bingo Bongo and Coricama like this.
  10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I ripped the Quadrophenia Blu ray audio disc yesterday and it worked. It doesn't pick up track titles like the screenshot though. All info has to be manually entered.

11. stereoptic

I ripped mine quite some time ago. I don't recall if the tag information was there. Nothing when you clicked on the pencil icon? upload_2018-4-20_9-24-12.png

jfeldt likes this.
  12. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I have also made a rip of the Yes - Close To The Edge Bluray with DVD Audio Extractor and you are right. It is stored as one long file for some reason. It's the way the bluray was made and I had to split the file in three parts with audacity.

Coricama likes this.
  13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I'll try another one tonight. I dont mind manually tagging though.

14. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Thanks!

15. stereoptic

Thanks for reminding me that I have to start troubleshooting an issue that I was having splitting a large multichannel file with audacity into individual songs. Even though I selected 6 channels, it would just split into stereo. I gave up after a few tries, I will revisit it again now.

Coricama likes this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Try Audiomuxer or DVD HD Blu-ray Extractor. I would try DVD HD Blu-ray Extractor first. You can just extract the cue sheet in one second. Load the single music file in Audiomuxer. Split it by loading the cue file you made.

Or use the full Blu-ray you made from MakeMKV and redo the process using Audiomuxer.

For Audacity, you have to go into the settings and change it to "use custom mix"...that would be a long process compared to the other two methods I mentioned.

17. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Hmm. I did a rip of Close to the Edge BR sometime last year, I think, but don't recall the "single long file" situation coming up. Did the decrypted backup using MakeMKV, then used either DVDAE or (more likely) Audiomuxer to convert to the final sets of flac files. Maybe I'll try this again; now I'm curious.

Doug

Hymie the Robot and superstar19 like this.
  18. stereoptic

Thanks for the advice! I just have one file that was given to me, let's call it "Muddle_5.1_Fink_Ployd.mkv, it is just one file not a directory like I usually have when using MAKEMKV. Somehow, I turned it into a FLAC. I am not sure what I used, as it was a while back! I'll give your plan a try the first chance I get.

19. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I've just been ripping all my blu-ray audio discs to a backup HDD and by far the best way I found is to use makemkv to rip the disc to mkv file/s (this is an exact copy from the disc, just in a different container so no loss of quality). Then load the mkv into audiomuxer where you can extract the audio and split by chapter points and do all tagging and save to flac files. Doesn't get easier than that in my experience.

20. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

I have been using MakeMKV (disc backup feature) and then using DVD Audio Extractor. Most of the time it works but in some cases there is a problem extracting the DTS 5.1 tracks. DVD Audio Extractor says that the DTS 5.1 files are present but when you go to screen two and select the "number of channels" it only has stereo and mono as options.

I've played around with this a number of times and I'm sure that the problem lies with the downloaded meta data file. In the current case I am trying to copy the XTC Blu Ray of Black Sea. The meta data file that I down load is different for the Blu Ray disc than the meta data files it allows me to download for the MakeMKV backup file.

I've noticed in the past that if I did not play around with the meta data files I would sometimes not be able to extract the individual tracks and only get one large file for the entire Blu Ray.

Is there something that I am doing wrong in this process?

21. Hymie the Robot

Try Audiomuxer and/or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  22. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I have a similar problem with Dvd-audio discs. There is no problem extracting the audiotracks from the physical disc. However if I create an iso file of the disc and try to extract the files from the iso file Dvd Audio Extractor does not see any audiofiles to extract.

Anyone have the same experience?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.