The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

My WCF arrived today, the packaging is really nice, unlike I suspect the Fillmore CD which arrives tomorrow. An evvy Ooo weekend coming up anyways.

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Well I suppose you can drive for miles and miles then!

Matthew Tate, jlf, Deek57 and 2 others like this.
  3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Just got my notice of shipment from the UK for my new Who cd !!!

Yay for me !

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

As the consensus seems to be regarding this release being due to the public domain thingy....... Will we be discussing the imminent Woodstock audio release a year from now?
    Does the previous release of several Woodstock songs prevent the full recording falling into the 50 years category?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That doesn't explain the material from the 4/5/68 show, which isn't being released.

marc with a c and czeskleba like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

With regard to previous releases of Woodstock material, it probably does technically bar the release of those tracks, although grey area labels might argue that those versions are edited, and because they are releasing undoctored, complete performances of those same songs, they are indeed new. Nevertheless, I suspect The Who may finally release the Woodstock concert because I doubt they will want to have the market flooded with grey area releases of that show. Who knows, maybe they will not care -- it isn't as if they are releasing everything from the Fillmore East (although they can do an iTunes dump on New Years Eve to resolve that issue if they choose).

Dave Hoos and Quadboy like this.
  7. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Loving this recording.
    It's not Leeds or Isle of Wight (which to me sound similar)
    It's fresh and different. On the 2nd disc now, My Generation :goodie:

Will need a few more listens to get everything, but very glad I bought it

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Yep!

Kinda funny, I recall that when I was in elementary school in 1976 we were learning the metric system and being told that on 1/1/1980 or something, the US was scheduled to officially convert to that system and we'd need to be able to use it effectively before then.

Needless to say that plan seems to have changed, although we did get 2 liter bottles around then.

Mark

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Ditto for me. I remember learning about liters, meters. and kilograms about that time (in 1976 I was also in elementary school).

Much much later, knowing those conversions (the liter and kilometer ones) came in handy, first when I visited (and drove in) Quebec, and later on when visiting Europe.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm skeptical public domain was the reason for this release, since as Luke noted only half the bootleg is being released, so the other half will go into public domain. I suppose you could say that they've made it slightly more difficult for the PD labels, since they will only be able to create releases using half of the bootleg... but that has already been accomplished with Woodstock (since several tracks have been officially released) so I doubt this release necessarily portends a Woodstock release next year. If this release is deemed successful we may see something from 1969 get released, but of course there's so much 1969 material out there that there is not way they could prevent the bulk of it from entering PD.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    KinkySmallFace1991 and lukpac like this.
  11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Possibly the poorer performance has something to do with it.
    The 2nd show performance is better......for the latter half of the shows.
    Plus do we really need to hear another 30+ jamming version of MG?
    I'm more than happy they've kept it to 1 show only.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My point (and Jason's) was that this release will not prevent the tracks from the 5th (several already bootlegged) from falling into the public domain.

Shawn and marc with a c like this.
  13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The Who do not seem to be as interested in observing the 50 year copyright rule as much as Dylan for example. The My Generation deluxe set was not released until its 51st anniversary so those demos are not necessarily protected.

Additionally, the live High Numbers recordings can be found on bootleg but they did not choose to release these in order to protect the copyright.

czeskleba likes this.
  14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"I can see for kilometres and kilometres" just doesn't have that ring to it....

15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

How is it packaged?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Oyster Boy

DVD size box (as you can see in the promo photo), card slipcase (quite loose nearly dropped the inner case out) on opening, eight panel card fold out inside with a plastic tray each for each CD. Booklet in a slot on one side of the case and poster in the other. Nice, especially at the price point. Will listen tomorrow.

dee, Matthew Tate and bobcat like this.
  17. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

How did you manage to get it a day early?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Oyster Boy

No idea, but it's the first time Amazon UK have delivered to me the day before release.

Matthew Tate and Mook like this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

Do you think The Who have it in them to do a copyright dump of the tracks from the 5th on iTunes in late December?

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Leeds and the IOW sound nothing alike to me. Leeds is thick and meaty sounding while IOW is thin and weak sounding to me:

21. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Yeah, IOW sounds a bit weedy for peak era live Who, especially up against Leeds.

Up next (if indeed anything is), I can take or leave Woodstock (even yet more Tommy, innit) - I'd buy it as a historical document, but it wouldn't excite me even half as much as anything from 71 to 76.

22. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I used to think the same thing about the original IOW ‘70 release and didn’t play it much, but I really really like the remastered version and enjoy it basically as much as the “almost” complete Live At Leeds 2014 Hi Res version. For sure I prefer the IOW ‘70 set list over Leeds.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Surferghost likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

I remember when I first heard IOW, I was disappointed having compared it to the firepower of Leeds. Over time, I grew to appreciate it. IOW certainly has its moments, but as a whole, it is an inferior concert compared to Leeds (or Hull for that matter).

Woodstock is an unfairly maligned and underrated gig. It is not The Who at their best, but it is a solid concert from 1969, and a multitracked one at that. I suspect Daltrey has been the party responsible for vetoing its official release over the years, and I doubt he has even listened to the tapes, rather, he remembers it being an unpleasant experience and over time has built it up to be much worse in his mind than it actually was. That said, hopefully some of the 1971-1976 multitracks receive an official release sooner rather than later -- how S.F. '71 has remained in the vaults for nearly as long as the Fillmore tapes remains another head-scratching decision and mystery courtesy of The Who.

24. zinzam72

zinzam72 Forum Resident

If I'm remembering my quotes correctly, Pete is the one who would be blocking it, actually, with Roger praising it and saying Pete is out of his mind.

I'm looking forward to what this means for future releases, too, especially SF and Philly/Largo '73. It also means I'm of two minds about the idea of this being about the copyright, though. On one hand, if it is about the copyright, we'll almost certainly get those shows when the time comes, but it also probably means we won't get them *until* the time comes.

Surferghost likes this.
  25. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I like Woodstock a lot, at least the excerpts I've heard. It's messy, it's dirty, it's brutal, it's angry, it's f'n LOUD! Perhaps the best parts have already been officially released and the rest of it is not as good, but I'd buy the complete show in a heartbeat.

I'd love to have SF 71. That represents my first exposure to The Who live - I saw them a few days before in Long Beach, and it was a life-changing event.