What’s the most you’ve spent on a CD, SACD or LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

$75 for The Cowsills - "Global" CD. Just got it recently from a seller on Discogs.

Lee Davis likes this.
  2. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford New Member

£20 for a mint copy of 'The World Of Blues Power' on the Decca label.
    I enjoy listening to it, and my old copy was completely thrashed.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Played over the odds for this Blu Ray Audio title recently. Sounds great though.

[​IMG]

I wish they’d revive this format...Or at least put the rest of Petty’s catalogue on it!

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Glad you found one Bobby! Stupid me forgot to DL the file before it expired :doh: :laugh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

$200 for a sealed DCC Joni Mitchell "Blue" CD.

There was a forum member here that was sick and had medical bills piling up and so they were selling a bunch of sealed collector's items. Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was, but hopefully you are feeling better!

caravan70, hi_watt and c-eling like this.
  6. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

$135 on the Abbey Road black triangle, just over a month ago. I do not regret it. :)

caravan70, hi_watt and George P like this.
  7. The Hud

Just looked through my feedback history, and the seller was @emmodad. Hope you are feeling better!

caravan70 and hi_watt like this.
  8. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Im a cheapo and most of my records I have bought from either the dollar bin, thrifts or eBay. Nonetheless I’ve built up a impressive collection of Beatles records, imports, boots, etc along with my other favorite artists.

The most I’ve paid for one LP is Tom Petty Full Moon Fever Portugal press- 25 dollars. It was a tough one to get cheap and I doubt I’ll ever get it cheaper than that. However I do regret paying that much, especially since it was kinda scratched.

For occasions my brother has bought me “new” LPs which probably cost 20-35

9. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I spent about 40 bucks (roughly ten years ago) for the soundtrack to Romancing The Stone. They only made about 3000 copies.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

I've spent over a thousand dollars each on at least three Kiss albums in the last year and a half, not a single regret and would buy more if I could find them in the grade I collect.

Kiss Killers - Japanese WLP complete with bag, press release, sticker, booklet
    Music from the Elder - Japanese WLP complete with bag, poster, sticker and pin
    Music from the Elder - Austrailia complete with bag, six buttons, six stickers, photo and Kiss Army enrollment form

hi_watt likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

You might be the winner so far.:)

Jimmy Mac likes this.
  12. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

I paid $200 (shipped) for a Brazilian press of Morphine’s Cure For Pain in the early 2000s.

I caught wind of the Light in the Attic reissue a few months prior to it coming out a few years back and sold the Brazilian pressing promptly.

No regrets on the purchase or sell of that album!

13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Recently purchased the same disc - most I have ever spent on a single disc. 68 Euros for advertised 'near mint' (and it was).
    No regrets in the slightest - it is great. Thank you, Mr. Hoffman.

The Hud likes this.
  14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

With great respect :), this is where we move from the music fanatic to the collector (both of these are fine :)).

My, albeit humble, 'big' purchases have been for very very special albums that mean so much to me - and that accounts to about 20 or so albums.

caravan70 likes this.
  15. The Hud

It is a great disc. I don't regret the purchase either. I only wish that there was a DCC Clouds CD.

Wugged likes this.
  16. Jimmy Mac

Oh definitely...love the collectible aspect of collecting just as much as the music.

Wugged likes this.
  17. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Me too ! When I can afford it ! :)

18. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

$100 for Hank Mobley's Straight No Filter CD, when it was very hard to find and Blue Note had no plans to reissue it. Of course, they did reissue it as a RVG (which I also bought). When I sold the hard to get one, I got nothing for it. That's life.

19. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Biggest vinyl purchase/biggest mistake was $300 for a yellow label promo of Velvet Underground's self titled. Described in excellent condition and I rationalized that if I'm going to overpay on any record, it should be that one because I love the music and the original closet mix is so quiet. Well visually, I'd agree the grade was accurate, but sadly there is crackling throughout and what sounds like IGD on Jesus.

I've spent $100-$200 on clean copies of a bunch of other rare original pressings and promos and don't regret any others. I get a lot of enjoyment out of them.

Best values were both Josh Homme related. Got an original Man's Ruin blue vinyl Desert Sessions Volume 1 with postcard insert for $75 (Discogs has it at +/-$300). Also got a sealed original Songs for the Deaf for $50 that took some detective work to figure was original.

20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I pounced on the Beatles Mono Box set fairly quickly. Paid something like $250.00 for it. No regrets whatsoever.

My Days of Future Past vinyl has a horrid skip in Tuesday Afternoon. That and their recent induction in to the RRHOF motivated me to drop $50.00 for the SACD. Sounds good to me.

Otherwise I paid $20.00 for the McCartney Interview LP back in 1980 thinking it was going to be a collectors item. $20 was a lot to a 15 year old long-hair back then and I may have been a bit rash.

21. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Self Awareness is Priceless.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I spent something like $70 on the DCC Gold CD release of Judy Garland- Judy at Carnegie Hall featuring Steve's mix/mastering of the concert.

Worth every penny. :)

23. Jimmy Mac

It's all in your perspective and making my living from selling collectibles helps me realize that compared to their rarity versus other hobbies, my records were "virtual steals".

Sitting around with a couple of friends about a month ago, we were talking about a particular comic book and what it would sell for nowadays and the general consensus was about $2,000,000. After about five minutes of further discussion someone revises their estimate because "two million sounded cheap". I then showed them a picture of a $22,000 stylus and their response was "what a waste of money, for a needle???"

I didn't get into it that you could actually get enjoyment from said stylus for years to come but that's when I realized about perspective. Audiophile guy thinks you are nuts for spending two million on a comic book and salivating at the system they could buy with that money, and comic book guy is thinking 22k for a "needle" is stupid and could buy a really nice book with that money. We are all a different breed, aren't we?

24. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

$90 for the E.T. Soundtrack SACD. No regrets, although I hope to never pay that much for a disc again.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

$75 USD for Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook, DCC Gold

Prices nowadays for the most rare DDC Gold titles on the used market are really depressing! Many up in the $hundreds. :rant:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.