Sleep releases "The Sciences" - first album in 20 years; on 4/20*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Rose, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I am really excited about this! I've been looking forward to new material since I saw them back in 2014. Part of me thinks they've had this record in the can for a number of years and were just waiting for 04/20 to fall on a Friday release date. :laugh:

3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

It is a clever release date, for sure.
    I’m super excited about this but I can’t find any info regarding a physical release. Only digital so far?

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  4. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

It's the Third Man Record secret Record Store Day release. Check your local record store this Saturday.

5. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well they were in the studio right before I saw them in Philly last April.
    4/20, eh? Well now the backdrop at the show I saw makes a lot of sense...haha

6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

They don’t make their obsession with the flower a secret.

7. Efus

Efus Senior Member

For sure.
    I was just expecting to see the lunar footage, and suddenly that image was projected.
    I remember blurting out "No way", then my buddy and I laughed about it for a good 5 minutes.
    It sure did its job, Ill never forget it, still makes me laugh when I think about it.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“Proceeds the Weedian”.

Al Cisneros has an interesting technique to bass playing. I’ve never seen someone play like that before.

Good news on a new album, but I hope it’s not another Dopesmoker. Throw stones if you will, but I found that album tedious. Also bring back Chris Hakius!

Smokin Chains and Judge Judy like this.
  9. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

There are samples of the songs on iTunes. It will give you the flava.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. I got really into Om - At Giza. I love that song, just the right amount of all the elements I like. Sleep sounds cool, but just a little heavier than I like.

Slightly off topic- Can any OM fans tell me if all CD versions of Conference Of The Birds has dozens of track markers every 30 seconds? Can't find any online info and the only OM thread I saw here was locked.

11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Oh.

My.

YES.

Michael Rose likes this.
  12. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

Just listened to it all the way through.

Massive.
    Crushing.
    Epic.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Aw, Hell YES.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  14. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Oh wow, didn't see this coming. And it's coming out on CD too, or at least Bull Moose thinks it is: Sleep - The Sciences

Those of you that have heard this, is the version of Sonic Titan the same as the 1992 live version that appeared on some reissues of Dopesmoker?

STGATX likes this.
  15. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Per an email from my local store, there are only 40 stores selling this split colored LP across the US. No phone or email orders. But there will be a regular LP and CD "soon". It does come out today and not tomorrow. I'm not making a special trip... If they have any I might pick up the special one tomorrow.

Michael Rose likes this.
  16. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

very stoked.

black sheriff and Doggiedogma like this.
  17. GuidedByJonO)))

Man, as excited as I am about new Sleep, this distribution model is bumming me out and is making me increasingly frustrated with how music is released these days.

As of right now, there are only two ways to get this as a physical product:
    1) In very few select record stores, with very limited quantities. No holds, not sure on what the price point will be. While I'm fortunate enough to live in one of the cities that will get copies, I'm not going to be able to make it until tonight and I'm fairly certain that, with no holds (understandably!) I'll miss out.

2) Online via Third Man Records. According to reports on Twitter and Facebook, the site has crashed several times this morning and has clearly not been ready for this release. Beyond that, more frustratingly, is that Third Man has been raising the prices as demand increases! Late last night it went on sale for $30, this morning it's up to $50. Plus $20 shipping. That's ludicrous for one piece of vinyl.

So yeah, normal distribution is allegedly coming soon. But no word on where, when or how. Incredibly frustrating and terrible fan service.

I know the horse is out of the barn already, but this is one of my biggest frustrations with the vinyl resurgence. For many fans and bands, the vinyl itself has turned into a fetishized "collector's object" more than anything else. Sadly, to the exclusion of getting more physical product in more fans' hands.

18. GuidedByJonO)))

Thankfully the band finally provided a bit of an update that eases one of my concerns. The price increase to $50 was a mistake and it has been reset to $30, they said people that paid the $50 price will be refunded - so that's cool of them to set that bit straight.

I still wish this wasn't such a limited thing though, given how long Sleep fans have been waiting. Another simple way to ease some minds would have been to be upfront about the "normal" distribution date from the get-go.

scottp and STGATX like this.
  19. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Listening to "the Sciences" version of Sonic Titan this morning and I thought "I've heard this before." I believe you're correct. They sound the same to me (studio sounds better of course). The live version (at 9:36 min) was released on the Tee Pee reissue of Dopesmoker. The Southern Lord reissue of Dopesmoker had a live version of "Holy Mountain" as the other track.

20. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Huh -- one of the places I checked had the vinyl for pre-order at $79.99. I wonder if they goofed or up'd the price. They usually do a good job pricing this stuff...

Sleep - The Sciences (GREEN) (LP)

I'll pickup a CD version when it's available -- I'm just glad I could hear it on Spotify this morning.

21. GuidedByJonO)))

Yeah I saw some reports of $80 vinyl through some outlets, but as far as I can tell, Third Man is the only legit place that has them in stock right now - at least online.

I'll be waiting for the CD version as well, I'd just like to know whether that's gonna be next week, next month or next year! I just think setting folks expectations a little more would have made the roll-out less intense. Just say, "hey, we're releasing this really cool green vinyl version on 04/20 for the hardcore fans! for those of you that prefer CD or black vinyl, that will be coming on XX/XX!" Seems simple to me, instead of making fans feel like they've got to rush into paying for an overpriced special edition simply because it's the only option. But then again, maybe that's why I don't work in marketing for these bands/labels.

22. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

Flippers are already selling the split variant for 200 on the bay...

:realmad:

23. GuidedByJonO)))

Can't bring myself to "like" this one. Egads.

I wonder if the flippers could be reduced if the special, collector's edition vinyl stuff came out AFTER the regular version roll-out. That'd still give the collector's interested in the cool versions to get what they want, but if more of the demand of the "average" fans were sated, it might knockdown some of the impetus for flippers.

I don't know, thinking out loud a little here. Just seems there's got to be a better way to release music that doesn't lead to a not insignificant percentage of your fans angry about the process.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  24. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

I'm hoping that since it's Third Man there will be some deluxe packages that come out. I remember when they initially released "The Clarity" it sold out pretty quick as well. I believe Sleep posted on their FB or Twitter to relax and don't pay the flipper prices that more variants were coming out.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Got my order in but not without having to exercise patience. In my world this is a must have deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.