Billy Joel The Stranger Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The Stranger is the fifth studio album by American singer-songwriter Billy Joel, released on September 29, 1977, by Columbia Records. While his four previous albums had been moderately successful, The Stranger became Joel's true critical and commercial breakthrough, spending six weeks at number 2 on the US albums chart. Considered his magnum opus, it remains his best-selling non-compilation album to date, and was ranked number 70 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Much of the album's success is attributed to Joel's collaboration with producer Phil Ramone, whose innovative production methods complemented the album's listing; this fruitful partnership would continue for a decade. Singles released from the album include "Just the Way You Are" (which won the Grammy for both Record of the Year and Song of the Year), the acoustic ballad "She's Always A Woman," the mildly controversial "Only the Good Die Young," and "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)," which later lent its title to Movin' Out, an acclaimed hit Broadway musical based on Joel's work. This album overtook Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge over Troubled Water to become the best-selling album on the Columbia Records imprint at the time.

My thoughts.

The Stranger was my first Billy Joel album. I bought it in August 1978. About a year after it originally came out. Billy hadn’t done much in the UK at that point, though he was beginning to make a little headway with the singles from The Stranger. My next door neighbour discovered him just before me and raved about his current single (Movin’ Out) and it’s B-side (Vienna). I had to agree the single was good. I actually liked Vienna more than the A-side...

For some reason I had some spare cash at that time (quite uncommon) and decided to take a chance on buying The Stranger LP. Looking back, my next door neighbour possibly encouraged me to do this... More than once she influenced my musical tastes* in the 70s... Not always for the good either.:D

This time, however, she did me a favour. I loved the album instantly. Didn’t even have to work at it. Everything just fell into place and felt like home. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve bought it since... Only once on vinyl, but at least three times on CD and also the MOFI SACD hybrid, which is my current favourite. After The Stranger I bought all the preceding and succeeding Joel albums, and although Glass Houses is probably my favourite, I’ll always have a place in my heart and space on my shelf for The Stranger.

With that in mind, I’ve created a poll wherein you can pick your favourites. As many or as few as you like.:)Was the album special to you? Do you think he’s done better? Share your thoughts and stories if you wish.

* Around the time of me buying The Stranger, my neighbour also tried to get me into another of her current favourites, Dean Friedman. A US singer/songwriter who ironically looked and sounded a little like Billy Joel! He had an atrocious single out at the time called Lucky Stars which hit the UK top 5. Far more successful than any of Billy’s singles from The Stranger... This time, I didn’t relent and went my own sweet way. Nice try, ‘Jill’.:D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Bobby Morrow

In case you’ve forgotten what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric_Generic, The MEZ and vonwegen like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Review from Rolling Stone.

Ira Mayer
    December 15, 1977

This is the first Billy Joel album in some time that has significantly expanded his repertoire. While Streetlife Serenade and Turnstiles had occasional moments, the bulk of Joel's most memorable material was on Cold Spring Harbor — despite its severe technical flaws — and Piano Man, which gave him his only major single success. This time, while such songs as "Movin' Out" and "Just the Way You Are" are forced and overly simplistic, the imagery and melodies of The Stranger more often than not work.

Together with producer Phil Ramone, Joel has achieved a fluid sound occasionally sparked by a light soul touch. It is a markedly different effect than his pound-it-out-to-the-back-rows concert flash, although the title song, "Only the Good Die Young" and "Get It Right the First Time" will adapt to that approach as readily as, say, such a Joel signature piece as "Captain Jack."

"She's Always a Woman," which sounds misleadingly tender, is the key to the difference between The Stranger and Joel's other LPs. We don't expect subtlety or understatement from him and, indeed, his lyrics can be as smartassed as ever. But Ramone's emphasis on sound definitely lessens the impact of the sarcasm, which in the long run may help boost Joel's career immeasurably. In the meantime, old fans will have to listen more carefully than usual.

vonwegen likes this.
  4. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

I remember this album from the first spin-the-bottle party I went to in middle school. It was just released and I loved it. Dust in the Wind by Kansas was a big hit at the party too but Gail Miller was the best kisser by far !

5. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Absolutely great album and one of the strongest of his discography. It doesn't end on as strong as a note as it begins, as I think "Get It Right the First Time" and "Everybody Has a Dream" are the two weakest tracks on the record, with the latter being the worst.

"Vienna" is such a stunning song, definitely my favorite on the record and maybe my favorite thing he's ever recorded.

JoeRockhead, ralph7109, willy and 4 others like this.
  6. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

I disagree, there's not a weak track on the album. "Everybody Has a Dream" is one of my favourite Joel songs.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

The chord progression in Vienna is simply stunning. The way it flows it nothing short of genius.

Dan C, JoeRockhead, ralph7109 and 5 others like this.
  8. peter

peter Senior Member

One of my biggest concert regrets was not going to see Billy on the 1977 Stranger tour. He played the QE Theatre in Vancouver, a wonderful small hall.

Next year, it was the Pacific Coliseum, for the 52nd Street tour. Incredible show. I was in row 18 on the floor.

JoeRockhead and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Wow, I actually forgot how huge this album was - it had 4 Top 40 singles:

Just The Way You Are
    Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)
    Only The Good Die Young
    Vienna/She’s Always A Woman To Me

Radio was always spinning these singles, so I never thought about buying the album with my allowance.

Also, the cover was a little too weird/ehhh for me.

jeffd7030 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I actually love the album cover a lot, that matters a lot to me when it comes to rating albums.

'Just The Way You Are' was the big hit, and it's great but, 'Moving Out (Anthony's Song)' is my favorite from the album. Other favorites.

The Stranger
    Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
    She's Always A Woman

I guess I kind of like, 'Only The Good Die Young', not too much though.

This was Billy Joel's breakthrough album, and he was a critical darling, made a killing at the years Grammy's too.

The MEZ, peter and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Not a weak track in here. Arguably Joel's best album start to finish.

Only the Good Die Young and Scenes are my two favourites from this album and in my top 10 Joel's songs

The MEZ and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Another fantastic album, 'Strange Desire' by The Bleachers' artwork is a homage to Billy Joel's 'The Stranger'. Lead singer grew up hearing a lot of Billy Joel and he's one of his big influences.

Bobby Morrow and Szeppelin75 like this.
  13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I suspect your neighbour Jill insisted you listen to “Only The Good Die Young” repeatedly, for a reason... :agree:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Was she a "catholic" girl?

lightbulb and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Perhaps she was worried I wouldn’t Get It Right The First Time.:)

16. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Not a huge fan but I love this record. The SACD is sublime. Growing up I LOVED Only the Good Die Young, and still do. Just great lyrics and vocal delivery. As a youngster never cared for the 'sappy' She's Always a Woman' or Just the Way You Are but now when I pop in that SACD (5.1 mix more often than not) I never skip them. Hypnotically recorded demo material.

17. Bobby Morrow

I’m surprised the last 2 tracks aren’t polling well. They’re two of my favourites. Possibly because I didn’t hear them as much as the others.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

The Stranger was a huge leap forwards from his earlier albums. Though they all have their moments.

19. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Like almost all of it. It's no worse than top 3 Billy Joel album for me.

20. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

While not my first Billy Joel album -- the first one I bought was 52nd Street -- this remains my favorite of Billy Joel's 1970s output. It's full of iconic songs, which is a very hard feat for an artist to accomplish. "She's Always a Woman" is, for me, the best of the bunch here.

lightbulb and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I'm not the biggest fan of Billy Joel and I don't listen to any of his albums very often, but The Stranger is my favorite by far. My favorite tracks are "Movin' Out," "The Stranger," "Only the Good Die Young," and "She's Always a Woman."

The MEZ, Szeppelin75 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

The Stranger was the start of a classic string of albums, followed by
    52nd Street
    Glass Houses
    The Nylon Curtain

One of the best 5 year runs in all pop music.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great album. One of his best if not the best.

Movin’ Out IAnthony’s Song)
    The Stranger
    Just The Way You Are
    Only The Good Die Young
    She’s Always A Woman

24. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I have the recent anniversary disk set and the MOFI SACD. I did have a cassette many years ago but where did it go.... ?
    Its the best Billy Joel inclusive album in my view. I would like to say I love the lot but the last 2 tracks don't do it for me as much.
    Voted for the title track and Scenes - both have been at different times my favourite BJ track. The other singles and Vienna are also excellent.
    Really, this set formed the basis for Greatest Hits Vol.s 1 and 2 which is my starting point for Billy and the first album of his I actually owned.

Edit. I just found the cassette and am playing it now.:)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Bobby Morrow and Holy Diver like this.
  25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I really like the back cover photo a lot - even the framed pictures of the family that owns the restaurant tell a story all by themselves.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.