Roy Orbison S&P

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DBMartin, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Myke likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Considering it was Steve who reopened it...o_O

4. DBMartin

I've had the S&P for over a month now, and it keeps sounding better and better to my ears, but I'd love to hear the MFSL too some day...

5. Myke

Is $100 about right for this now, 14 years later ? Asking because I'm intrigued, as I've been reading the praise here my entire time.

DBMartin likes this.
  6. DBMartin

Yes, it's really gone up in value in its 14 years of existence, and rightfully so! These two records might well be the best pressed and sounding ones in my entire collection, absolutely love this S&P set.

Stone Turntable and Myke like this.
  7. Myke

I've got a WTB for it in our classifieds. I'm on a fixed pension, so I'm offering $65.00 right now. Saw one for as low as $35 on Popsike in 2016. Lucky so-and-so. :laugh:

DBMartin likes this.
  8. DBMartin

Wish you the best of luck with that, I really hope you'll get a nice copy of this album, it's absolutely essential for the Roy Orbison vinyl enthusiast! I see that you're in the US, that helps I guess. I was unlucky enough as an EU customer that there was only one offer on Discogs with low shipping costs, but I still ended up paying 100 euros in total (which comes down to about 117 dollars with the current exchange rate)... Ah well, it's really been worth it, and I'm even considering buying a backup copy, can you believe it? o_O

Myke likes this.
  9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Just picked up a brand new sealed copy from Acoustic Sounds for $65. This one definitely sounds as good as everyone says. Thank you Mr. Steve!

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I already posted about this on this forum, but it pretty much comes down to taste. Steve's mastering is softer than other masterings of this music and he said one reason he used tubes (besides preferring their sound in general) was that the tapes sounded a little cold and hard if played back on a solid state system. You can hear this when comparing his mastering to the MFSL disc, but it's not just the tubes. Listen to "Only the Lonely," on that track the MFSL disc sounds like it has a bit more in the upper mids, moreso than the other tracks on the same compilation. I'm guessing Steve took out more in that region using a parametric equalizer because that record has always been a bit hard-sounding in general.

11. Myke

Thanks !!!!!!! Ordered. 20% off the $65, then another 5% off thanks to my card, $64.23 shipped !
    I must not have looked there last night.
    They are still showing another (or multiple ? ) copy sealed for $65.00 as "preowned" which is what mine said. We'll see.
    :bdance:

DBMartin likes this.
  12. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Mine said Preowned as well, but was definitely sealed. Glad you scored one!

Myke likes this.
  13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I won a copy here in a draw and it is still sealed as I don't have a turntable hooked up. Lots of people own sealed product here or so it is possible that "preowned = new"

Myke likes this.
  14. Myke

Yeah, I saw that in my research last night, and thought you might've had a table back then, guess not. :laugh:

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I still have late 70's era table and cart but I have not used it since 1986.

Nobody can accuse me of "flipping" the Orbison. :)

Myke likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don’t be silly.

Gary and baconbadge like this.
  17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

As in no EQ applied to the upper mids?

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When I play back music on a period correct Ampex 351-2-P with Telefunken input tubes, no EQ used. Same type of machine the music was recorded on. Anything else just doesn't sound good. A few on there are three to two remixes as done by Bill Inglot (like UPTOWN). Only when the original mix was damaged or degraded, etc. Bill Porter's explicit instructions to me was to make an attempt to reproduce his "sound." I tried and he loved it. Miss the guy, he was a great engineer and a nice guy. Gave me a solid silver clock as a gift in gratitude for preserving his sound intact so he could play his recordings for his classes. He was proud they could hear his work as it was meant to be heard. He said he waited over 25 years for it to happen. So there ya go.

19. Myke

Acoustic Sounds just shipped ! Leave it to Chad to still have sealed copies 14 years later. So excited, I've even told Roy Jr. I bought this.

:bdance:

DBMartin likes this.
  20. DBMartin

Nice! Has he responded already?

21. Myke

Not yet, but we speak via messenger occasionally. The Orbison family, and legacy is still all over this area, just outside Nashville.

22. DBMartin

That's pretty exciting, they seem to be taking really good care of Roy's legacy. Any chance you've corresponded with the family about the possibility of a Monument Years (1959-1965) box set? ;)

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

What's S&P?

24. Myke

No, I spend too much as it is. Asking for more is something I leave to others. :laugh:
    S&P Records

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/SP

DBMartin likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have not heard the S&P's version. I have lots of SH's work, though.

An advantage to the MFSL is that they went back to the original master tapes for each individual LP and were allowed to cut from those. S&P's version was cut from the 2nd generation master generated for the Greatest Hits album, so the S&P is a full generation away from the MFSL. You'll get more inner detail and harmonic texture with the MFSL.

That being said, one might prefer the musical choices one mastering engineer makes over another. The original UK red/plum label original of Led Zeppelin II is considered by many to be the best version out there, better than the great US Robert Ludwig version, in spite of the former being cut from a copy of the original master tapes. The original (which sounds like the Classic Records version) is detailed and in your face. It sounds like you're in the studio with the band. You can practically "see" where the individual parts of the drum set are on a good system.

The UK sounds like you're in the 10th row at a theater. It has a more band-cohesive presentation, has great presence, and it rocks.

Personal preference. As with my experience with other SH's masterings, you'll get great liquidity and musicality.

DBMartin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.