Elvis Documentary 'The Searcher' Coming From HBO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by artfromtex, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

What are the options to see the docu when you don’t have HBO?

2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Totally agree, we trekked over a few years back and had a great time doing the whole music/Elvis thing, stayed in the Peabody too - brilliant!

Hope we get to see this in the UK...

RSteven and thxphotog like this.
  3. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Yes, highly recommended. A fascinating experience.

I had the privilege to make the trip in recent years, treated my mother to a three day whirlwind stop through Nashville, Memphis and Tupelo.

Sun Records was by far the best part of the trip (next to taking in a spontaneous show at the Opry the day we flew into Nashville). I was surprised, as Graceland was the anchor for the trip. It was good, but not as engaging as Sun.

After the tour group left the studio we got a few minutes on our own with the guide; I took the chance to grab a guitar, sit down and started jamming on That's All Right for a couple of minutes.

On the way back to Nashville (our in and out point) we detoured to Tupelo to see the birthplace; that was a nice little end to the trip (well, we did Studio B also, which was nice, but a very clinical tour compared to Sun).

If anyone ever does the trip via car, I highly recommend the Natchez Trace Parkway between Tupelo and Nashville, a beautiful scenic drive.

Dave Hoos, mgb70 and RSteven like this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh indeed, I take it Mathew that is you pictured in the Sun studio? Yes, I highly recommend Studio B as well and we always spent 3 days in a Nashville and 3 days in Memphis. My daughter and I always picked Memphis as our favorite, but it was awfully close. Wow, all though greats that had recorded in Studio B from Elvis to Roy and Dolly to Jim Reeves, it just takes your breath away.

5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’ve probably been to Graceland about 8 times with the most recent being this last August. During our tour a massive rainstorm hit and we were stuck outside underneath awning by the pool. I got to just soak up that area (and some rain) for a good thirty minutes. It was a great memory. I have to say that even though I feel his presence less and less since I’ve been going (around ‘93), it’s always a magical visit.

Dave Hoos and RSteven like this.
  6. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

A little token shot of that day. I messed with the colour to make it look a little retro.

Studio B was impressive, and nice to sit at the piano. Sadly the tour was kinda rushed and quite rehearsed. It felt like we were ushered in and out without much time to blink. Quite a contrast to the relaxed tour vibe at Sun.

In a way it made me think of the key differences between the studios and how the tours are run; Sun being the independent "home grown" studio with a "home grown" atmosphere to the tour. Studio B much more "corporate" in approach; apt if you think about it.

7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That is a righteous picture and I would have it blown up and hanging in my living room if I were you. I totally agree with you about the difference between the experience at Sun Studio vs. Nashville Studio B.

8. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Haha, not a bad idea.

I think we lucked out because we basically only had the one day in Memphis and of course hit up the mansion first. Time was running on so we headed over to Sun and got there in time for the last tour of the day so I think that worked to our benefit.

The guide was really nice and happy to chit-chat which was good. If I ever get the chance to go back one day, Sun will be the first stop.

9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head Thread Starter

I have been to Graceland twice. Once as a kid in '82 and again with my wife and daughters in '05. In '82 we took pictures of me and my dad sitting in the pink Jeep from Blue Hawaii and my dad sitting in the black Stutz. I was only 9 years old and was a HUGE Elvis fan since I was 4. That was MY Disneyland!

Gonna go back soon. I hope to take my granddaughter who is about to turn 3.

Dave Hoos, Mr. H, mpayan and 2 others like this.
  10. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I have Dish, with no HBO, and I was thinking the same thing. But as luck would have it, this weekend
    (Fri, Sat and Sun) Dish is giving us free HBO, and The Searcher is being re-run several times, so I'll
    be able to DVR both parts this weekend.

artfromtex likes this.
  11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

One “sensationalism” story I would’ve liked to hear about would’ve been the famed and aborted “pizza incident”/final studio session. I’m totally perplexed by that one and the fact that it can’t be proven or debunked.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There are a couple of different accounts of what took place at the aborted January 1977 session in Nashville. The only thing certain is that Elvis did not record and left for Memphis. Whether he sulked at his Nashville motel over Ginger or walked in and out of the studio after seeing the pizza box will likely never be confirmed.

13. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I think this is largely true. Unless you’re talking to a serious fan, when asked you’ll get a list of favorite songs, while us die hards will likely list albums, and go deeper, like “legacy edition.”

Dave Hoos and MaestroDavros like this.
  14. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

True. Although for my generation coming of age during the do-it-yourself punk era, I really connected with the 'singles' aspect of Elvis' legacy. It was a perfect fit and that has continued for me. I seek out the best versions of the songs I love. FTD is wonderful in that respect.

BlueSpeedway and MaestroDavros like this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The doc's a blast to watch and somehow felt short in spite of the long running time. Here's hoping there's some sort of directors cut out there waiting for us all.

16. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I know what you mean but I'm actually quite happy with what's already there and fear that a director's cut would break up the tightness and consistency they've already established here.

RSteven likes this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I see your point, and it's a good one. Still it feels like SO MUCH was just briefly mentioned and it would have been nice if they'd gone a little more in depth. I guess that's why we have the great books, etc.

MRamble likes this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

The two now ancient Guralnick books are still all that’s really needed IMO. I don’t always agree with them, but it’s where Presley got the definitive attention his life and music “needed”.

The 1958-1977 one, Careless Love, is heart-stopping, essential, deeply melancholy reading.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Surprised Martin Scorsese has never did a documentary on Elvis Presley?

20. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

I enjoyed the documentary very much and it made realize that I needed to buy the Sun Sessions cd so I can hear those songs again I only had the first 2 rca abums and elvis in memphis Elvis Presley - The Sun Sessions CD

21. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

RSteven likes this.
  22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

When I say "hits" I meant the typical embracing of the collective what is cool of Elvis.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  23. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

i thought it was the greensboro version from 72??

24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, I beg to differ, not only did the the second part of this very fine documentary basically begin by highlighting the great non-hit singles album, Elvis Is Back, the only really hit single from this album would come nearly four years later, but it emphasized several non-hits throughout the film; Like A Baby, Tomorrow Is A Long Time, Reconsider Baby, Baby What You Want Me To Do and of course his fantastic version of Never Been To Spain at MSG.. This does not count as well the great gospel stuff that you seem to dismiss as overrated or perhaps overemphasized in the doc. despite him winning his only 3 Grammys for his great effort in this field. This does not also include the fantastic emphasis on American Trilogy, though a single not exactly a major hit, with great comments from both Petty and Springsteen who endorse both its power and majestic nature without reservation.

For the record, I stand by my comment that Elvis would not have recorded a fair amount of the movie material if he had not been obligated to do so by contract. This seems so obvious its hardly worth saying, but your comment seems to openly dispute this obvious fact. I also do not dismiss all his movies or some of the stellar music from them out of hand. I am also one of many on this forum who have spoken with respect and admiration about many of his albums in the last few years of his life, especially the Jungle Room sessions, whereby his version of Hurt (featured in its entire fantastic alternate version in the doc.) and his version of Danny Boy, are among the greatest vocals of his career in my opinion.

My biggest thrill with this film that you so ravage is the fact it fights hard to dispel one of the greatest and most damages myths of all to Elvis in Elvis lore, "That he only made some great music for some very brief episodes at the beginning of his career while at Sun Records; the beginning of his career at RCA in the second part of the 1950's and up to the very early 1960's; and one last great gasp in late 1969 at American Studios in Memphis." This is the myth the is most damaging to the legacy of Elvis Presley, not the fat Elvis imposters in Las Vegas and elsewhere whose image will disappear over time, not that he was one of many, many famous people that got caught up in their own great, but very isolating success and succumbed to prescription drug abuse, but that his talent and impact was for a very limited tenure and based on only a few novel songs and performances.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Very nice post. I do, however, disagree that the narrow view of Elvis' musical worth by some that starts with SUN and goes through the 1950's into the early 1960's and concludes with American Sound in 1969 is more damaging than the impersonators. The Elvis impersonators and persona that they represent, which was empowered and massively influenced by the October 3, 1977 airing of Elvis In Concert, has impaired Elvis' legacy for well over forty years. It is one thing for the public to overlook noteworthy periods of great music and another to continue to view Elvis as a fat, mumbling "thank ya very much," burnt out star in a gaudy jumpsuit with a Santa belt. The latter imagery has done insurmountable damage that continues to have traction to this very day. "The Searcher" certainly plays its part in rehabilitating Elvis' image and legacy, but the impersonator persona will continue to be a problem, much more so than the general public overlooking some fine music that is off the radar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.