Did you ever buy a re-recorded album? Did you like it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Duke Ellington "At Newport" - the original live recording was messed up so the band had to go into the studio to recreate it. That re-recording turned into a classic. The original live show was reassembled, repaired and released as "At Newport Complete" 40 years later, . . . or something like that.

I loved them both . . . Madly

somnar, AlienRendel and xybert like this.
  2. eyeCalypso

Pink Floyd re-recorded songs and released them on "A Collection of Great Dance Music". I did not like it.

PDK and mtvgeneration like this.
  3. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

The new lyrics suck a sweaty ball bag. But I do like it as well.
    Going Christian for rockers is a bad idea.

4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Exodus bonded by blood is horrible
    As is flotsam n jetsam remake. H. O. R. R. I. B. L. E.

Flotsam I had high hopes for, just another letdown. As with all redo albums.
    Never the same as originals. They lose grit, power, speed, etc etc.

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I've heard it. It was a deliberate attempt to recreate the original records, only this time the band would own the masters. Overall they do a good job, but Glenn Tilbrook sounds a little hoarse. They brought back Paul Carrack to sing the re-recorded "Tempted." For some reason, Glenn sings "Loving You Tonight," which is odd because Paul originally sang that one - and he plays keyboards on that track so he was clearly available and in the room.

I knew they re-recorded "Money" for that compilation, but I thought all the other tracks were originals (some in edited form).

7. Electric Light Orchestra
    8. (if live renditions count) Ian Anderson recorded Thick as a Brick and its sequel live in Iceland, generally hewing pretty closely to the originals.

6. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Crack The Sky have done some good re-recordings of their earlier material.

7. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band
    I'm not usually a fan reggae music but this one sounds dope!

somnar likes this.
  8. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Not a whole album, but for one track on Steve Lukather's Christmas CD, he took an old recording of "Jingle Bells" by Sammy Davis Jr., removed everything but Sammy's vocal, and replaced everything with his own band doing a new arrangement to fit the vocal. Does that count?

9. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

As noted, only Money was re-recorded.

Badfinger, Eddie Money and a number of people have re-recorded to put more cash in their pockets rather than publishers/record labels. They're mostly unsuccessful, but Joe Walsh went back and re-recorded his biggest hits with the bands that made the originals -- Barnstorm, James Gang, etc. I've heard one in a movie, and I was lucky enough to have a bunch of them played to me once. They are SO close to the originals that it's hard to spot the differences.

10. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Very few albums will qualify for these strict terms. It would have to be either the original artist or a cover artist trying to recreate the exact performance and production of the original. Most of the albums people are posting don't seem to fit the requirements. Of course, we can think of artists re-recording their hits later in their careers, but they won't be full albums redone, they will be a new collection of their past hits. See below for those kinds of examples.

11. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Chronicles I by Eloy is a 1993 re-recording of an album's worth of earlier tracks, done (I believe) because Eloy had always been unhappy with the sound of their earlier albums. The re-recording isn't that much different than the originals, and its "1993 sound" is as limited in its own way as the earlier recordings were. I sort of enjoy it as an audience-less live album (if it were merely a compilation of older recordings, I wouldn't care about it at all).

I seem to recall Henry Mancini's re-recording in stereo of his first LP was very good, though I don't remember if it was much different than the mono version.

12. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

Lucinda Williams re-recorded Sweet Old World. I love both the original and the re-recording.

Gramps Tom and Kingsley Fats like this.
  13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I like Camper Van Beethoven’s cover LP of Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk”

Ignatius and melstapler like this.
  14. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I enjoyed the re-recorded Platters Greatest Hits, from Canada, to me those were the definitive versions as they were the versions of Platters songs I grew up listening to. I believe those were 1980’s re-recordings.

15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Imo Twisted Sister's "Still Hungry" rendered the original obsolete.

16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

For me, the best tribute to RAM was done by Tim Christensen, Mike Viola, Tracy Bonham and the Damn Crystals in a one night only-tribute show to celebrate Sir Paul's 70th birthday in June 2012. Not only did they perform the entire RAM album but they also covered a lot of other McCartney tunes. The recording is amazing and has one of the best live bass sounds I've ever heard.

Here is their version of "Venus & Mars/Rock Show"

The entire show is available here on YouTube:

Pure McCartney HD Full

jupiter8 likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Yeah, I actually mentioned them in another thread last week. Aside from a weak Band On The Run (especially from the rhythm section) and having the woman sing Heart Of The Country, the whole thing smoked!

*This* is how to play BOTR on bass. The bass player should take notes. And the sound is amazing. The performance is effortless.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Veech likes this.
  18. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Perfect example! Although the production values were nowhere close to the original major label album, I do think David's voice still sounded great as did Ian's guitar work on these sessions.

Ludger likes this.
  20. eyeCalypso

You're right, my mistake.

21. eyeCalypso

Does this count?
    [​IMG]
    "Whipped cream and other delights re-whipped" of remixes by late-'90s and 2000-era DJs features new trumpet solos by Herb Alpert on seven tracks?

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  22. eyeCalypso

George Benson "The Other Side of Abbey Road"
    [​IMG]

23. eyeCalypso

Pink Floyd re-recorded Dark Side of the Moon for their Pulse album. I prefer the original.

The Flaming Lips recorded Dark Side and Sgt Pepper in homage. I haven't heard them because I gave up on the Lips after 1996.

24. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

John Fahey rerecorded a bunch of his 60s albums and I believe Bob Marley did something similar.

25. eyeCalypso

The Melvins recorded and released a live version of their "Houdini" album and called it "A Live History of Gluttony and Lust"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.