The Beach Boys' 'Sunflower' Commercial and Artistic Flaw: No Mike Love Uptempo Rockers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

I think that you're on the right track, Mal. It might have paired well with one of the Dennis rock 'n roll tracks.

Mal likes this.
  2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

S.P. Honeybunch, I always appreciate your enthusiasm for Mike’s contributions. And I mean that sincerely. Don’t let the haters get you down.

Did Mike have an uptempo number on offer for Sunflower? I don’t recall.

rxcory, bumbletort, ajsmith and 2 others like this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

Usually Mike would write uptempo numbers with Brian. This is something that they should have considered engaging in prior to releasing the album, as a higher profile album track or single could have increased attention for the album.

fallbreaks likes this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The original post is clearly a joke. I doubt the OP will make a reappearance - he’s probably enjoying his handiwork from a distance. People would be better off not responding.

dalem5467, DRM and Sneaky Pete like this.
  5. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

You have a point there. Mike Love has an instantly recognizable voice that's connected to the band's "fun years" (1962/65), the most commercially successful period for the band.

So, possibly, from a commercial perspective, a Mike Love-sung upbeat tune could have helped boost sales of the record.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I might maybe drop "It's About Time" for the earlier version of "Big Sur", but it doesn't really "rock", per se.

Mechanical Man and picassoson like this.
  7. S. P. Honeybunch

Looks like the band assembled the "Add Some Music" album in May 1970 with "I Just Got My Pay" included. Reprise wouldn't release it for the lack of a potential hit single.

UNRLEASED

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

That's a good thing.

That's a bad thing.

I'm often quick to criticize, but AIWD is a Mike Love career highlight.

I think it's his agent.

Or his mom.

9. I love many of Mike's rockers but I think Sunflower is an excellent album without them. The Beach Boys didn't have to do everything on every album.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  10. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

This never occurred to me. I think Sunflower is nearly perfect and showed the group maturing in a positive way. I don't think it was likely the group could have had a strong selling album and/or single in 1970. The timing was terrible. However, if I had been in charge, I would have pushed Dennis forward commercially. Perhaps make "Forever" the first single.

11. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

For what it is, Sunflower is unimprovable and easily a top 5 BB record. If you’re curious how a Mike ‘rocker’ would influence the sound of the record imagine it with the other All I Wanna Do from 20/20. Not terrible, admittedly, but not an improvement either. This Mona Lisa doesn’t need a pencil moustache.

Sneaky Pete and lightbulb like this.
  12. That song is titled "All I Want To Do". I think it's excellent and perhaps the hardest Mike ever rocked. It fits better on 20/20 than it would have on Sunflower.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  13. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

For years, I’ve thought both songs had the same title. For what it’s worth, I quite like the earlier track though I find it as incongruous on 20/20 as It would be on Sunflower.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Uh? The OP has responded many times to this thread, including just 2 posts above yours.

Hall Cat and starduster like this.
  15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

S.P. Honeybunch is BACK!
    We missed you!
    Kind of.

16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"Student Demonstration Time" is just a blatant ripoff of "Riot in Cell Block No. 9", which only accentuates Love's limited talent and abilities.

oldsurferdude and rediffusion like this.
  17. O Don Piano

Nah- the Mike Love Discussion is the OP's specialty. I used to get disgusted, now I'm amused by it!

18. O Don Piano

But the band ROCKS on it! I quite like the song.
    And NO- Im NOT a Mike Love apologist. Far from it. But 'Student Demonstration Time' rocks hard.

19. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

There is a place for Mike's style of presentation. When the group changed directions (for better or worse), Mike was the right guy for "Rock and Roll Music", "It's OK", and later "Getcha Back". But a less prominent role on the early seventies albums made sense.

20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

On Surf's Up, it's the turd in the punchbowl.

21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Here are the greatest artistic flaws of Sunflower:

1. It contains two Bruce Johnston tunes.
    2. Bruce was allowed to sing on the album.
    3. It features the grossly overrated "Add Some Music to Your Day," which sounds like an indoctrination jingle played at an Amway recruitment event.

Rockerbox and oldsurferdude like this.
  22. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I believe Leiber/Stoller got credit on the LP, with new lyrics by Mike Love. Also
    says based on Riot in Cell Block No. 9.

O Don Piano and starduster like this.
  23. S. P. Honeybunch

What was terrible about the timing of 1970?

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

It's not obligatory that we hate Mike Love. To appreciate the later work of the Beach Boys as their music matured and evolved.

smilin ed likes this.
  25. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I dig Student Demonstration Time

O Don Piano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.