The Monkees "Headquarters" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gill-man, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

ash1 likes this.
  2. Beatlesque Pop

Beatlesque Pop Forum Resident

I wish we can have the New York sessions and the complete Leiber and Stoller tapes. However I think we will only get new mixes of the hits and perhaps only one or two unreleased backing tracks. I wish I am wrong because I love the Monkees and Headquarters is one of my favourite albums.

D-rock and Hep Alien like this.
  3. readr

readr Forum Resident

I don’t doubt we’ll see a bunch of NY sessions material........a bunch. Maybe an entire disc, like suggested. I’d welcome that. Wouldn’t be as excited about a bunch of recycled Sessions stuff. Keep that set unique and rare.

D-rock, Hep Alien and BobT like this.
  4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Andrew is a fan, and he knows what we die hard fans want for HQ Super Deluxe (he does read these posts here). He won't disappoint us regarding the NY sessions. You pretty much can bank on that.

DaveJ, D-rock, factory44 and 3 others like this.
  5. readr

readr Forum Resident

Well, if he’s taking notes, here’s my wish list:
    Stereo mixes of the existing NY tracks, this time to mirror their mono counterparts.
    In essence, create stereo mixes for tracks that didn’t get good stereo mixes originally and have those match the stereo mixes of the time. These would be for ALBM, ALBY, She Hangs Out, 99 Pounds, and Violin. The one’s done on the HQ deluxe set were cool, but pretty much so unique they don’t pair up well with the other original stereo mixes from that time. I’d also like something similiar done to the ‘69 vocal version of Mustang for this set. Another one that I think is essential to round off my collection is a 60’s style stereo mix of Toys.....mimicking the mixes on HQ.
    I think what Gil’s Martin did with Sgt. Pepper’s, remixing the tracks to bring out their elements, but respecting the original mixes in the process, found the perfect balance.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

With help from "The Monkees Sessionography", I hope a Super Deluxe Headquarters includes these unreleased items:- "Gotta Give It Time" (Backing Track), "I Wanna Be Your Puppy Dog", "Love Is On The Way", "Sugar Man", Poor Little Me", Black And Blue", "Eve Of My Sorrow", "The Love You've Got Inside", "I Had A Dream Last Night" and an early version of Mike's "Hollywood". Most, if not all of those are backing tracks but even so, I would be happy to hear them.

D-rock, Hep Alien, BenB5150 and 3 others like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I listen to the instrumental jamming sections and recordings of songs not on HQ more than most of the alternate versions of songs on HQ. I would hope for more of thst stuff if it exists.

8. Beatlesque Pop

Beatlesque Pop Forum Resident

Why chip douglas never gave I had a dream last night to the Fountains of youth or other groups that recorded for Colgems is something that has always puzzled me.

cwitt1980 and Hep Alien like this.
  9. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

Wasn't there a longer version of the 'Blues' jam that could only be heard online when the Sessions CDs came out?
    I hope that will be included on the new set.

D-rock and Hep Alien like this.
  10. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

I also wouldn't mind if stuff from the previous sets is carried over to this one.
    It would be great to see a compiled version of the original master for the album including ALBMALBY this time.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Yes, Rhino had longer versions as QuickTime files on their website. The two tracks were, I believe, called Blues or Blues Jam and Banjo Jam.

D-rock, CMcGeek and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

There's also the 45 songs that could be included too...

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Man, that Arista version is really hard to find!

14. Eobard Thawne

I was lucky that I found one used online 20 years ago! If you can get a copy of the 92 Japanese (same mix I believe) CD or By Request box ,
    you can more or less have the set.

Keep trying ebay or amazon, ioffer.com etc. Or there's some fans out there that trade/sell copies. Hopefully Rhino reissues it(?) w/ a super deluxe?

Lownote30 likes this.
  15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The most remixable album in the Monkees catalogue. The shrill treble of the original has always been a drawback for me. If there was ever an album to*not* be all purist over, this is it.

16. Eobard Thawne

All the muli-tracks exist for HQ

17. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

Does anyone know if Andrew has started work on this yet? I am guessing not, seeing all the current activity around the Nesmith and Mike & Micky tours.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Being pedantic here - She'll Be There was actually written by two people, Sharon Sheeley and Raul Abeyta (here). As stated in the linked thread, Delaney Bramlett also recorded a version of the song.

ash1 likes this.
  19. Eobard Thawne

Even if work has started, we probably won't see it for 2-3 years. It's based on a album by album sales basics, also considering the slow gaps between the other deluxe sets. So get out there and start buying all you's! Me, I'm gonna wait till there's an online sale or when they are nearly gone.

D-rock likes this.
  20. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Back in January it was reported on Facebook that half of the MOTM sets were already sold. So, assuming there have been a few more sales since then, I would guess that there are probably 2000 or less left. If they have a sale, half of those will probably sell. So, If I had to guess, I'd say we could see the HQ set in spring of 2019. If we are lucky, Rhino will have it out by Christmas this year...

D-rock likes this.
  21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think the MFQ version came out in 1968 past their own initial phase of wanting to be a band. Maybe it wasn't completely written? How many "Chip Douglas" writing credits are there for Colgems? I know "Forget That Girl" but that's under a different name. Maybe Chip wasn't contractually allowed to actually give Colgems songs. Much like how the Monkees couldn't release Bill Martin's "All of Your Toys."

Beatlesque Pop likes this.
  22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The issue with Martin was that he was with a different music publisher. "The Door Into Summer" is credited as Douglas/Martin, but Douglas is on record as saying it was a solo Martin composition. I thought maybe it was a maneuver so Screen Gems would get the publishing.

Hep Alien, D-rock and cwitt1980 like this.
  23. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, all the releases of "All Of Your Toys" either have the tape damage 'hiccup' or a fade at that stage which cuts it off quite abruptly (at the 'with nothing but tears' bit. It would be great if this could be rectified.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

LOVE THIS ALBUM!

25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

[Edited]
    The multis for the master takes are available, as shown by the Arista remix, but some of the other session tapes are missing. From the liner notes to Headquarters Sessions:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.