The Beach Boys' 'Sunflower' Commercial and Artistic Flaw: No Mike Love Uptempo Rockers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

It was more a case of needing a song in an emergency, given Dennis' opposition to contributing his own songs to Surf's Up.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

How does a turd end up in the punchbowl?! Great image, though...

3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Ironically these are two of my very favorite Beach Boy Records. I don’t miss Mike Love’s song smithing in the least.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

Actually, I think what the UK did with the album -- place Al Jardine's wonderful reworked single mix recording of Cottonfields at side one track one -- was a smart move (forgetting for a moment that they put a fake stereo mix of the mono on it). I like it better that way, anyway.

People have to remember (or understand, if they were around at the time), that the cover art really looked like a joke. The Beach Boys looking like they just came off the commune -- Love in his guru robe, etc. -- and it looked ridiculous to a lot of people. Just trying too hard or something and not having it work to their advantage.

PS: Didn't Reprise turn down what ended up on the unreleased Landlocked album and Sunflower was the replacement? Gotta admit I think the Landlocked material makes an album at least as good and mostly better to my ears.

Pete Puma likes this.
  5. I think Sunflower could have used an uptempo number too. It’s mostly bland to my ears.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

But there is a classic on the record -- This Whole World. To me it's flat brilliant and it's the star on the album. I'd have liked the LP lots better if there was more tunes like that on it. Some of the rest is from OK to nice, or whatever, but I agree it's pretty bland.

jparis51, apesfan, starduster and 4 others like this.
  7. I agree.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

How 'bout Mike Love joins Fleetwood Mac and Lindesy joins the BB's? They can each contribute 'up tempo' tunes!

9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Here's one they could have cut. It's really 'up'

10. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I don't miss anything on Sunflower. It's a wonderful album as it is. A Mike Love rocker would feel strange on it.

11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Before/during Sunflower, they used to do 'Riot' – straight – in concert, and it was glorious. There was no need to rework it for the album, much less create horribly awkward social commentary.

Leave well enough alone.

On the other hand, even that would seem out of place on any of the early 70s albums. They could have used that kind of muscular rock OOMPH on 15BO.

But by then the train went off the rails in any event.

O Don Piano likes this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

Wow. Speechless. I'd never heard anything from his "I'm a genius, too" album. Wow, again.

O Don Piano likes this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

Channeling mantras and blessing the little ones with flowers, from inside the gatefold:

[​IMG]

Concert garb, mid-70s I think -- or later?:

[​IMG]

I'm sure the meditation robes are way comfortable, but give me the sequins and turban any day of the week.

Chip TRG and Sneaky Pete like this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It's a old term for party-pooper, wet blanket, etc.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

Ah, I see. Works great in that context! Gotta remember than one.

16. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Close, but no cigar. What we call Landlocked, was a tape with all of the unused songs from Last Capitol Album/Reverberation and the Sunflower/Add Some Music album. Sunflower, by August 1970, became a combo of Reverberation and Add Some Music, plus two added songs recorded in early July; It’s About Time and Cool, Cool Water.
    Landlocked or the 2nd Warner’s Album, as it was called, only produced 3 songs that actually made it onto the real Second Warner’s album “Surf’s Up”; Take A Load Off Your Feet, Lookin’ At Tomorrow and Til I Die.

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I understand your point with Sunflower, but when you lumped Friends in there with it, well...I turned on you! :wantsome:

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

20/20 thread?
    Last Capitol album and a beaut.

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

:D

20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

Maybe they should have worn the striped shirts.

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Add Some Music has grown on me, but this cracked me up!

22. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Sunflower is one of my fave Beach Boys records and I don't think it's missing anything...but the OP's post cracks me up!

23. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

What a great call. My second favorite track on the album and an absolute stunner. I can remember hearing this playing shortly before MBV took the stage a few times and it made perfect sense ... the song sounds about 20 years ahead of its time and Mike does just fine. The genius switch was on less and less for Brian at this point so we are lucky we got a few great ones on this album ... it would have been nice if there had been enough juice left to write a few more for Mike. For me the biggest flaw are the Bruce songs on this album ... especially "Tears". One of the highlights of the Made In California box set was the stax o' vocals mix of "Slip On Through". That song has such a great groove going that I never really noticed (but probably felt) the "spook" in parts of vocal arrangements before they burst through into glorious sunlight. Great stuff.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Oops. My mistake. No offense intended - it’s certainly a valid, albeit unpopular, position.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    ajsmith likes this.
  25. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

+1. Sonically “About Time” gets props on first impression, but it’s lyrics are eye rollingly atrocious. Eh, I still love Sunflower though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.