King Crimson: Live In Vienna

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GreggF, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Hyperbolic at best... the mastering engineer is one and the same as the mix engineer and everything is approved in house by the artists

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. talloway

talloway Forum Resident

Wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your well written and thorough review. After purchasing Toronto and radical action I wasn't going to buy anything else. After reading your writing I ordered this. Also, all about jazz is my go to when exploring new music. It's an excellent publication with thoughtful analysis. I used to subscribe to downbeat but stopped several years ago. Every issue seemed to push a certain political agenda. Reading downbeat left the impression that jazz as an art form was shallow in their opinion. So glad I found all about jazz. Keep working.
    -Tom

3. talloway

talloway Forum Resident

See above.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I trust no one.

Sordel, warewolf95 and gd0 like this.
  5. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Sorry; I equated "outdated" with "unnecessary." If that's not what you meant then my bad, and my apologies!

warewolf95 and Kim Olesen like this.
  6. John Kelman

Thanks, man. Both yours truly and AAJ would, however, be nothing without loyal readers like your good self. So I know I can speak for the site (for which I was managing editor, btw, from 2007-13) and myself when I say: thank YOU!

And I do appreciate, as well, your very kind words about the writing. It's an ongoing process to get better (been making some recent changes that I hope are yielding results), and it's always been great to have a forum like AAJ, where I can write about whomever I wish...and to whatever extent I wish, too!

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

David, is that you?

:wave:

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No worries. All is good. I always enjoy your reviews btw. If only all reviewers were this insightfull.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Amazon.ca is still trying to find me a copy which I pre-ordered weeks and weeks ago.

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Did I say it was an unqualified success? No. I have noted and criticized their work here before

But this is not the fault of some unnamed mastering engineer who smashed the mixes of all their dynamics... that's just not how things work for King Crimson

warewolf95 and TFEC like this.
  11. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Hi David!

I've loved your work for over a quarter of a century! Your mixing work on The Great Deceiver literally changed how I heard Music. Anyhow, I'm not sure why you would deny the use of heavy-handed mastering techniques when you've discussed employing them in the past - specifically about mastering KCurrent KCrim MusiCK. I guess you're just being some sort of audiophile-forum troll (I haven't read anything else you've posted here for context). I just wanted you to know that you're not fooling me, David!

:)

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. John Kelman

Wow. That must be an awful way to go through life...:yikes:

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. John Kelman

Thanks, Kim; you are too kind :tiphat:

Kim Olesen likes this.
  14. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

X2 John. I love your reviews and All About is my "go to" for reviews. Many times I've been on the fence about buying a KC box set and went with your review and never been disappointed.

15. Kim Olesen

Not at all :) With many international releases behind me i can testify to how much good research on the reviewers behalf means to the artists who gets reviewed.

John Kelman likes this.
  16. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Suits me just fine.

17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Looks like this place is being annexed by at least one former guest booker with adding the K's, obsessing over the diaries and posing as a pseudo-intellectual.

TFEC likes this.
  18. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

On no, not that guy!

But ... wouldn't that make him an intellectual?

19. Kim Olesen

What on earth are you guys on about?
    (And if it’s about personal issues with another forum member, does it really belong on a thread about a KC album?)

TFEC and NorthNY Mark like this.
  20. Say It Right

Nah, a pseudo-intellectual convinces himself that he must read Gjurdjieff and live his life according to the aphorisms.

21. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

I don't understand what your problem is, and I don't want to know. This is an audio(phile) forum where people discuss the intricacies of music, how it is presented to the public, and offer varying opinions on the qualities thereof. That is what was being done until you rudely butted in and started name calling, adding nothing of substance to the topic.

And it's spelled Gurdjieff.

John Kelman likes this.
  22. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Apologies - trying to get it back on track!

Kim Olesen likes this.
  23. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Speaking of "back on track" I have my remote at hand and shall, as soon as I post this, press Play for track 1 of Vienna.

And speaking of TFEC's heart ... I have been unwell for a couple of months and the other day, to make me feel better (it did!), he gifted me with Vienna, Chicago, and Toronto! How's that for a score? I listened to Toronto last night and am still sailing from the experience. Now ... on to Vienna.

I'll leave it to others to discuss TFEC's mind and body ... :D ... but I can attest his heart is all HEART.

John Kelman and NorthNY Mark like this.
  24. Say It Right

It started as an audiophile forum. It got swarmed with those just looking for a free place to yap about music.

BTW, message board spell check is so played out. We offer each other latitude here for people whose autocorrect does its own thing. So it's not worth adding the name in just to try and impress the anoraks. You're free to pour over the diaries without any external interference. :agree:

TFEC likes this.
  25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Mentioned elsewhere but I don't think in this thread:

Live in Vienna can be purchased in lossless 48/24 for a very small sum at 7digital (only $7 Canadian).

Great deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.