Does vinyl need an Analog certification agency (like the organic certification)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ironclaw, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those that appreciate an all analog (AAA) release, perhaps we could come up with a certification agency that investigated the process by interviewing the record company, mastering engineers, etc., to determine if a release is truly AAA. Then, a gold “analog all the way” sticker could be hyped on the cover. What are your thoughts?

Cronverc, captainsolo, hishou and 9 others like this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There is no such thing anymore (with very rare exceptions)

telepicker97 and groovelocked like this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Most audiophile labels' reissues are AAA. Whether a particular release is from the 1st generation master tapes is another story. But AP, MoFi, MM, Speakers Corner - They're only dealing with analog unless stated otherwise.

The answer to the posted question, for me, is it would be nice. But the major labels wouldn't like it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    andrewskyDE, john lennonist and DTK like this.
  4. Ironclaw

Organic produce was quite rare in the 1980s, too.

5. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Jack White's Third Man Records does a lot of AAA work, even some direct to disk. Adam Savage recorded a novelty direct-to-disc album at the Third Man records in Detroit.

AnalogJ likes this.
  6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You need to go out more : AAA is a lot more prevalent than you think when you leave the mainstream and delve in indie circles (think Steve Albini, Brian Paulson, Jim O'Rourke...). And no, they don't feel the need to disclose and advertise their process with a golden sticker.

7. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

The information should be out there.

Tullman and Northwind like this.
  8. Django

Django Forum Resident

All records should state this clearly. They selling you this idea that vinyl is the real way to hear music. Its analog, warm, all the other cliches & Digital is cold & soulless. But as with so many things consumers are lied to, or not told the whole truth.

groovelocked, Cronverc, DTK and 5 others like this.
  9. Ironclaw

They should always disclose because unless consumers of AAA LPs demand it labels will continue to go the easy route and have part of process be carried-out digitally.

Tullman, Paully and Queezma like this.
  10. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I remember in the late 80s, up to about ‘91, labels would advertise on the back cover of the CD case if the recording was AAD, ADD, or DDD and remember thinking it was such a huge deal if a CD was recorded DDD. Steve Earle was the first CD I remember seeing recorded as DDD. So yeah, it would be nice if I am going to shell out 30-60 bucks for an lp reissue that they specify what it is.....will never happen though. Which is why I appreciate this forum...always ways to find out.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

MoFi came clean for The Nightfly and Brothers in Arms?

12. davidwatts

davidwatts Well-Known Member

Would definitely be nice. It sure would beat the current system of having to e-mail labels on a case by case basis and never getting an answer back from them...

Mr Bass and Queezma like this.
  13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

BIA was the example I was going to give, until that came out I assumed recordings under the “Original Master Recording” banner meant AAA but when I asked them on Facebook they responded very quickly that it’s OMR, not Original Analogue Master Recording. Titles under the OMR banner mean they used the original stereo master, whether that’s analogue tape or 16-bit DATs (that in some cases were recording up to 50kHz by 1978) is on a case by case basis.

14. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Would the “Analog Agents” wear uniforms?

BeardedSteven and Metalrob like this.
  15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yeah, and they’d be really groovy.

JuanTCB likes this.
  16. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Many LPs since the mid-70s have been cut with a digital step in the chain, Columbia being one of the earliest major labels to do so - Bob Dylan's "Desire" being just one example...
    This.

Metalrob and Dan C like this.
  17. Ironclaw

Just because something is the norm, doesn’t mean it has to continue to be. I have listened to enough from Analogue Productions to hear the difference, and it’s a big difference.

Paully, Northwind and Queezma like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

And there should be drastic penalties for anything digital in the chain! :buttkick:

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

True. But I guess that's because most people know that they were recorded digitally to begin with. No surprise there. I'm not as much of a fan either one of those reissues from MoFi because I think they highlight the digital sounding aspects of the recording. I prefer the original RL LP for either, although I can certainly understand from a sonic standpoint why there are fans of the MoFi reissues.

It's when a company takes an analogically recorded album and then releases it with digital remastering and doesn't say so that gets our collective dander up. They might even say something like "Sourced from the original analog master tapes", but they just took those tapes and made digital masters from the them.

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The uniforms are optional but the heavy weapons are mandatory.

SirMarc and Metalrob like this.
  21. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

If AAA LPs are that important to you, best bet is to only buy used LPs produced in the analogue era. Pre-1985/6 should be 99.98% AAA.

22. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Large payments to the "certifying agency" also mandatory of course for the use of their "Certification" logo.

And since the major labels could afford to set up such a system guess who would set on the certifying board and write the requirements? Any guess who would be adversely affected by the requirements?

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No it doesn't but it will continue to be regardless.

24. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think record companies should be clear about the source material when releasing (of re-releasing) albums on vinyl, that’s all.

andrewskyDE and Henry Love like this.
  25. Ironclaw

And I think food companies should list if they use genetically modified ingredients.

PoeRaider, Queezma and lightbulb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.