Van Halen reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 6, 2015.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The 2015 cd's are a loud sonic mess. Avoid!

The only digital version worth getting is the incredible 192/24 hi rez download of "The Van Halen Collection". We assume it is the same mastering as the vinyl. The other hi rez downloads (96/24, etc) use the cd mastering.

In my opinion, the 192/24 2015 files are the best digital VH ever released. Especially "Diver Down".

The Collection | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Sean, robtodd, Jam757 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sound as bad? I have the US LP of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and it sounds great, its drum and bass sound is insane, I prefer it over the US/International CD from 1991. I say this as I've been saying since February 2006, and many checked them out themselves and agree with me, that the Japanese Forever Young series CD's from 2005 sound like modern but good remasterings to me. 5150 and OU812 have real bass and Michael Anthony can be really heard, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge sounds much like the US LP which is a good thing IMO, and Balance sounds less compressed to me than the original release and has the Japanese bonus track Crossing Over.

Panama Jack likes this.
  3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I have the EU version of F.U.C.K. on LP and it sounds amazing, it has balls, like you said the bass n' drums sound great.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  4. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

From an audiophile perspective, the 192/24 version of the 2015 remasters do indeed retain full dynamics and are not compressed at all. So if DR levels and waveforms make the difference for you in deciding whether or not something sounds good, then for sure go with those.

As for me, personally, I got both the 192/24 versions and the 96/24 versions (don't ask), and for my own personal taste, I felt like the 192/24's lacked some of the "oomph," power, and crunch that the added compression gave the 96/24 versions, especially in certain faves of mine like Romeo Delight, The Full Bug. Girl Gone Bad, etc.

So although I appreciate the 192/24 audiophile versions and am glad that they exist, for my own tastes I prefer the 96/24 and 44.1/16 CD versions.

artfromtex and Kiko1974 like this.
  5. I'm sorry for you, very very sorry. The 192/24 versions are pure sonic bliss.

6. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I literally just finished listening to the 2015 Vinyl reissue Of Diver Down. Damn it sounds incredible!!!

7. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I've been meaning to get that. I have an original that's not beat up, but not great, either. Noise and inner-groove distortion that bother me but it sounds great. I've always loved this album; enough to get a (relatively) pricey re-issue, especially if cut by Mr. Bellman from the original tapes.
    By the way, notice that the stereo field is very narrow on Diver Down?

John Bliss and Queezma like this.
  8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Agreed they are something special that shows how good the Roth Era VH catalog can sound!

For me 2015 24/192's are easily the best WACF, Fair Warning, Diver Down and especially 1984 on Digital. II is also excellent but not by as wide a margin as the others over previous issues, specifically the original mastering. As for the 1st album, I prefer the DCC as my main gear excels in low end reproduction, but the 24/192 is truly excellent as well.

9. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

All my first pressings are in relatively near mint condition but I started on the reissues with first three and was so impressed I bought the next three. The only one that I don’t give a perfect score to is 1984. Sonically sounds great but it does have the two glitches (I haven’t listened in a while but I believe the glitches are in Jump...and Hot For Teacher???). I think of all of them my favorite sounding (if I had to pick one) is Fair Warning.

10. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I'm just curious but when you say something like that first sentence, do you not realize how silly you sound or do you just not care?

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  11. I honestly don't know, maybe is just my misuse of English as I'm a native Spanish that has never been to an English speaking country, I learnt my English watching movies, taking notes and a dictionary. You're probably right as I'm sure your knowledge of English is far far better than mine.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Murph, Jack_Straw and ricks like this.
  12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I also have this version and I will listen again. I do remember liking it a lot and that it requires a little extra volume.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

LOL- how many times has this happened to me. I quickly think of the Rush reissue series, yeah, I'm only going to get 2112 and Moving Pictures...14 albums later!?! These VH reissues sound so freakin' great I don't know how I could justify not getting them.

Queezma likes this.
  14. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I did the EXACT same thing with RUSH....except I was able to stop at Signals lol

Jam757 likes this.
  15. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

i bought a south korean pressing. Not a big fan of it tbh.

16. Spirit Crusher

If I didn't know different, I would assume you are a native speaker, from the quality of your writing. :cheers:

Former Lee Warmer, jhm and Kiko1974 like this.
  17. Spirit Crusher

For 1984, I have the EU press of Bellman's cut from 2010. I can't remember why I got EU instead of US. I haven't listened in a while; I remember it being very clean and detailed, very crankable, though lacking some balls. My original press has more balls but has noise, inner-groove distortion, the usual from a vintage platinum-selling record..

Queezma likes this.
  18. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Does the 2010 also have the glitches? Or is that specific to the 2015 Bellman cuts.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Can someone refresh my memory regarding what specifically is glitched on 1984?

20. Spirit Crusher

Can't remember! I'll have to give it a listen.

21. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Intro to Jump...and I can’t specifically remember the second one. It’s been a while since I listened to 1984. I may need a refresher!

22. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

This...

23. Thanks for your compliments, I try to do my best, after all those years of learning, and I'm not done yet, I feel English very "mine".

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Played Fair Warning front to back last night. Absolute ear candy, amazing! I also have NM German pressing and this easily challenges that. Well down to Women and Children and Diver Down as the only reissues I dont own.

Queezma likes this.
  25. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I got all the vinyl reissues and love them. Do the CDs from 2015 compare favorably? I see them for really cheap. I'll pick them up if so. I did that with the Black Sabbath reissues.

Kiko1974 likes this.