DAUGHTER-UK indie folk band w/ Elena Tonre

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

DAUGHTER

[​IMG]

AllMusic Guide-
    Incorporating moody folk and hushed electronics in ways that recall Cat Power as well as the xx, Daughter began as the solo project of singer/guitarist Elena Tonra. Tonrawas performing on her own when she met guitarist Igor Haefeli, who joined Daughter along with drummer Remi Aguilella to complete the band's lineup. The trio self-released a demo as well as their 2011 debut EP His Young Heart, which led to Mumford & Sons' label Communion releasing their second EP, the more polished and eclectic The Wild Youth, later that year. Early in 2012, Daughter signed with 4AD, which released the single Smother that October. The band's debut album, If You Leave, arrived in April 2013. After an extensive tour in support of the debut, Daughter reentered the studio to begin recording their second album, Not to Disappear. The record was primarily self-recorded, after which they took it to Nicolas Vernhes (Deerhunter, War on Drugs, Animal Collective), who produced the final mixes at his Rare Book Room studio in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. It was released in early 2016. For their next project, Daughter composed a score to the video game Life Is Strange: Before the Storm. The track "Burn It Down" was released as the score's first single in August 2017.

If You Leave-album

Daughter are an indie folk band from England. Fronted by North London native Elena Tonra (born 15 January 1990), they were formed in 2010 after the addition of Swiss-born guitarist Igor Haefeli and drummer Remi Aguilella from France.[3]They have released four EPs, three singles and three albums, and are currently signed to Glassnote (North America) and 4AD (Europe).[4] After playing the local London circuit, they toured supporting Ben Howard around Europe and have since played headlining tours around North America, Europe and Australia.[5]

zphage and Beamish13 like this.
  2. lemonade kid

3. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Excellent band, very good for listening to late at night with the lights out and a glass of Red in hand. They’re really good live as well; I think I've seen them three times now, highly recommended :righton:

4. lemonade kid

Just to clarify...the second bit of text is from wiki. Credit where credit is due...

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Only know "If You Leave" and the early eps and think they are excellent. So was the show for that album. Any idea what this Daughter record is that comes out this RSD???

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Elena has a new side project album out under the name "ex:re" and Rough Trade is selling blue vinyl with a bonus 4 track live CD. Rough Trade UK seems to be selling a 2CD set as well but it looks you can only get the bonus CD with the vinyl in the US.

7. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I like Daughter. I think I prefer them to London Grammar who it seems to me kind of occupy the same musical space, but who possibly overshadow them a little in terms of fame.

Good job I don't pay any attention to lyrics though, otherwise I'd by slashing my wrists by the end of 'Not to Disappear'. People say that the Smiths are depressing, but with Moz you might get a line about, say, Antony and Cleopatra opening a crate of ale to leaven the misery. No jokes in 'Doing the Right Thing' or 'Alone/With You' though. C'mon guys, lighten up! :)

jamesc likes this.
  8. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Ex:Re - saw them on 6 Music Festival on the Red Button tonight. I really liked what I heard - the melancholy reminds me a bit of This Mortal Coil. I've ordered a copy of the album on the strength of that performance. I might have to do a bit of digging.

jamesc and lemonade kid like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Don't know them but they sound interesting.

I shall check them out.

10. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I came across them today....I may be on board!

jamesc likes this.
  11. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

the Ex:Re album is thing of beauty, one of my favorites of the year. I prefer it to the Daughter albums but those albums are really excellent as well. lots of people complain that current 4ad artists don't match the sound of the label's glory years but they certainly do.

jamesc and jimhb like this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Totally lost track of her/ them after "If You Leave".

13. lemonade kid

14. lemonade kid

Daughter performing at Tate Britain
    Smother

15. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

They are a great band. Purchase with confidence.

lemonade kid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.