Discover Cold Chisel here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 5, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

no mate, it's nowhere. i even emailed the Chisel online store and they said it's all gone

2. mark winstanley

Sing to me
    This is a fantastic song that reflects some of the great blues/jazz artists in its feel and structure. A typically great vocal from Barnesy, that puts him in the same room as all those great blue-jazz singers from years gone by. Really nice writing from Don Walker here, a beautiful chord sequence with some heartfelt lyrics and beautiful colourisation from Mossy on the guitar. Don't skip this song.

BTW - take the time to watch the lovely piece of video construction put together by, obviously, a big fan on youtube.

Lyrics
    Nightclub here
    Liaison there
    I do what I have to do
    The habits of a lifetime
    They all know
    And sympathize with me
    My great big plans
    Are winding down
    We both know that's nothing new
    I'm taking care of business
    But without you
    It doesn't sing to me
    All night through
    Baby it's you, it's you
    What we had before
    We could have once more
    Forever,
    You'd see
    I walk all night
    And sleep all day
    I'm dreaming only of you
    But without you
    It doesn't sing to me
    This old world still spins along
    But doesn't sing to me

D.B. likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

The Game
    Every song i relisten to, to try and dig into these albums just confirms what I have said all along, and that is just how good Cold Chisel are. There isn't one filler song on any of there albums. This track had the music written by Phil Small the bassist, and Don Walker wrote the lyrics.
    Every time I listen to one of their albums, the thought comes to my head that it is their best album. That's quite a feat and just shows the strength and diversity of this incredible Aussie band.
    Listening to this album it is hard to believe that they were hardly on speaking terms when it was recorded.

Lyrics
    "Who's that on the telephone"
    The fisherman said
    "Looks like a writer"
    She turned her head
    "Could be, we'll see"
    Ma ring replied
    "There were rumors when he came"

And as the evening fell
    Around the old hotel
    The stranger left his dial-tone
    His place was gone
    In the game

"He's down from the city
    And he's here to think.
    He pays his money"
    She got another drink
    "Who knows, his book
    Is closed to you and I
    We may never know his name"

The music drifted down
    The same repeated sound
    "If Nat King Cole
    Can save his sole
    He'll find his peace"
    The fisherman eased his frame
    "If I was asked
    Just who's to blame
    To read his past
    I'd have to say
    She's a woman..."

When all your cards are done
    Just leave your share
    And make your run
    They'll burn your contacts down
    Plans on fire
    You know they've won
    Just turn and walk away
    And start again, a brand new day
    In lonliness their aim will turn
    Against themselves
    For one more play
    In the game

The Doga and Next Year's Man like this.
  4. mark winstanley

The easy album and song reference list

Cold Chisel (the debut) 1978 - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 1 - Juliet - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 2- Khe Sanh - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 3 - Home and broken hearted - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 4 - One long day - Discover Cold Chisel here
    One long day live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 5 - Northbound - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 6 - Rosaline - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 7 - Daskarzine - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 8 - Just how many times - Discover Cold Chisel here

Breakfast at Sweetheart's 1979 - Discover Cold Chisel here
    and supplementary information - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 1 - Conversations - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Conversations live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 2 - Merry-go-round - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Merry-go-round live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 3 - Dresden - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 4 - Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye) - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Goodbye live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 5 - Plaza - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 6 - Shipping Steel - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 7 - I'm Gonna Roll Ya - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 8 - Showtime - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 9 - Breakfast at sweetheart's - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Breakfast at Sweetheart's live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 10 - The Door - Discover Cold Chisel here

The Live Tapes Volume 2 Recorded 1979-released-2014 - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 1 - Shipping steel - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 2 - Home and broken hearted - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 3 - Dresden - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 4 - Conversations - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 5 - Showtime - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 6 - The Door - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 7 - Breakfast at Sweetheart's - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 8 - Plaza - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 9 - One long day - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 10 - Merry-go-round - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 11 - Wild Thing - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 12 - Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye) - Discover Cold Chisel here

East 1980 - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 1 - Standing on the outside - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 2 - Never before - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 3 - Choirgirl - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 4 - Rising sun - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 5 - My baby - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 6 - Tomorrow - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 7 - Cheap Wine - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 8 - Best kept lies - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Best kept lies live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 9 - Ita - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 10 - news report and Star Hotel - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 11 - Four Walls - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 12 - My Turn To Cry - Discover Cold Chisel here

Cold Chisel live at the Manly Vale Hotel 1980 - Discover Cold Chisel here

Infamous Countdown/TV week awards ceremony
    My turn to cry -
    Discover Cold Chisel here

Swingshift 1981 - Discover Cold Chisel here
    - Discover Cold Chisel here

a couple of cover versions from the album
    Knocking on Heaven's door - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Don't let go - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Long as I can see the light - Discover Cold Chisel here

Circus Animals - 1982 - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 1 You've got nothing I want - Discover Cold Chisel here
    lyrics - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 2 Bow River - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Bow River - Live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 3 Forever Now - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 4 Taipan - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Taipan live - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 5 Hound Dog - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Lyrics - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 6 Wild Colonial Boy - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 7 No Good For You - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 8 Numbers Fall - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 9 When the war is over - Discover Cold Chisel here
    track 10 Letter to Alan - Discover Cold Chisel here

Barking Spiders Live 1983 - Discover Cold Chisel here
    a couple of tunes from the album
    It's Only Make Believe - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Taipan - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Georgia (on my mind) - Discover Cold Chisel here

The Last Stand - 1984 Discover Cold Chisel here
    a few tunes from the album/concert video
    Standing on the outside and Cheap Wine with Doco inserts - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Flame Trees - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Khe Sanh - Discover Cold Chisel here

Twentieth Century - 1984 Discover Cold Chisel here
    Build This Love - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Twentieth Century - Discover Cold Chisel here

Ghost Town - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Saturday Night - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Painted Doll - Discover Cold Chisel here
    No Sense - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Flame Trees - Discover Cold Chisel here
    The Only One - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Hold Me Tight - Discover Cold Chisel here
    Sing To Me - Discover Cold Chisel here
    The Game - Discover Cold Chisel here

5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I grew up with Chisel. They were an integral part of my last years at high school and while like the rest of us the first exposure was a film clip or two on Countdown, the rock awards show when they wrecked the joint (watching that as it happened we were all just "Holy *** what just happened?!" - Molly was livid ) the first time I saw them play live was at the Coffs Harbour Civic Centre in January 1982 on the same day that Circus Animals was released

My mates and I were all 17, I borrowed my dads car and we drove to Coffs from our nearby very small town to see the gig. They played the whole of the album from start to finish and asked what we thought. Then they played for another hour and a 1/2!

Second time was on the same tour a month or so later at the Plantation Hotel also in Coffs. We managed to get in OK, and that night was the best band in a pub night ever.

They played for hours and after the 2nd encore launched into Twist and Shout to finish off - a 15 minute version. It ripped what was left of the lounge bar apart and when the lights came on it revealed that all the tables and chairs in the lounge bar had been smashed to pieces and were piled up against the walls and we were ankle deep in broken glass and tinnes and beer bottles - apparently that night every glass glass in the entire pub got broken and they switched to plastic glasses after that.

Now the crowd were well and truly geed up at the end, so when the bikies and big rough guys all tumbled out into the night the cops were there waiting and a brawl between them and the cops ensued - red and blue flashing lights everywhere -cops and punters slugging it out in the street (which was the Pacific Highway in those days - the main drag) - it was mayhem.

Several of the songs have deep connections for me having grown up on the mid north coast of NSW - "...through Nambucca , up the coast..." that was us. I went to uni in Armidale , where they lived for a while and my girlfriend at uni was from Grafton and her older sister had been at school with Don Walker.

Houndog especially - I , we , used to hitchhike mostly to get around - hours and hours spent standing on the side of the road beseeching looks and thumb outstretched hoping against hope that a car or truck would stop - and when they did would they be a " petrol head or a country hick, a bible freak or a lunatic" or plain drunk or pinned or stoned. It was a risky business sometimes and very, very stressful.

Houndog resonates at that very visceral level for me - it is literally what it was like hitch and the "in the end its the motion is its own reward, the motion" is precisely what it was - to be actually moving in the direction you wanted and the relief that it was "50 miles to go and Ill be home" - it still effects me every time I hear it and the memories of those trips come back.

Last time I saw them was in 2015 - would they be OK? - I didnt want to sully those memories from 1982.

They were brilliant - nowhere near as boisterous as 33 years prior but still able to bring everything to the table and deliver in spades.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    The Doga, Kingsley Fats, D.B. and 4 others like this.
  6. mark winstanley

thanks for sharing that mate. what an awesome set of memories to attach.
    I have held out until i felt drawn to do this thread from buying the new stuff. I am actually really enjoying it. like you i didn't want to wreck some precious memories, and so many bands have destroyed their legacy by just existing without living. I get the impression, though I have never met any of them, that these guys love music too much and are too passionate to put half @$$ gear out, and live they just always seem to push the pedal to the metal and go. I think that's why I love them so much

7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Ive got all the new ones and Last Wave of Summer is just as good and the song itself it outstanding - another Chisel classic

8. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

That was an instant pre-release purchase - a document from that same 2015 tour when I saw then again

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

i love that song, i'm hoping the album arrives today

Easy-E likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

i only just found out about it, and being released late 2017, i couldn't believe the dvd version was gone. oh well at least i got the vol 1 dvd.
    i was youtubing stuff and saw the nrl set they did, i thought it was great

11. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Hard to believe it was released 20 years ago o_O

12. mark winstanley

wow, i didn't realise it was that old ... i had to look ... i thought "nah that can't be right" .... man time is just disappearing :help:

Easy-E likes this.
  13. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

This has a very strong connection to the NSW North Coast too. The tiny hamlet of Billinugel had a publican by the name of Ma Ring who at the time of her death was the oldest publican in NSW or maybe even Australia.

14. mark winstanley

nice.
    If you have any insights to any of the songs mate, please let us know. I'm just someone that loves the band, but for the most part i kind of missed out a bit. i was old enough to get to the last stand and i have had all the classic albums since about that time, but a lot of the back stories and stuff i only learned while doing this thread.
    the input is greatly appreciated!

15. mark winstanley

16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

Jimmy Barnes
    [​IMG]

The Doga likes this.
  18. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

It's made buy Mikko Turunen who is a very big Chisel fan from Finland.

On this part of the planet are not many Chisel fans but they are without a doubt the most staunch fans. When Cold Chisel or Jimmy Barnes plays live in Europe you will always see the same people from all over the continent in the audience.

Kingsley Fats, D.B., Mylene and 2 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Nice. Well, if you know him, let him know I appreciate his excellent work!

D.B. likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

Have they made it over there for any of their reformation period?

21. barking spider

I hope you ordered the 2cd director's cut. It collects all the b-sides and more. You need Smalltown Motel Blues, This Time Around, This big old car, Fallen angel,Better time better place and all the others.

22. mark winstanley

i ended ordering all the collectors editions ... i didn't want to miss out on anything.
    I am actually really enjoying the later day stuff, and kind of kicking myself for balking at it

OptimisticGoat and Kingsley Fats like this.
  23. barking spider

They didn't break though to a bigger audience. In 1982 Cold Chisel toured Europe as witnessed on the Rockpalast DVD. They did a few shows in Germany, The Netherlands and the UK where they supported Slade. They didn't tour long and frequently enough to build a bigger audience. After that tour there was a big silence.
    From 1993 on Jimmy Barnes gave it a try in Europe as a solo artist. He even moved over to France for a couple of years but he didn't reached a substantional new audience. In those days I have seen Jimmy Barnes about 16 times playing live. Some of my most precious memories are seeing him at the BMG record company building jamming with The Pilgrims and doing an acoustic gig at the small room of Paradiso in Amsterdan .
    In 2012 Cold Chisel did a short UK tour. I went over to Scotland to see Cold Chisel for the first time of my life. I had been a fan since Swingshift was released in 1981. I have met all the band members. They are really nice people who took time for some talk, photos and autographs.

The Doga, Mylene and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

cool. it's a shame the world is such a big place sometimes. when you said you had seen them in Scotland earlier in the thread, i had assumed that was in the eighties. i'm glad you got to see them though.
    I reckon Barnesy's solo stuff was great too. I'm going to do a thread on Barnesy when this one starts winding up. One of my favourite ever singers, every line has his heart and soul in it.

25. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

It'd be great if more of this footage survived from the Largs Pier Hotel where the band cut their teeth.. beautiful pub took a stroll past it the other day.

[​IMG]

The Doga and mark winstanley like this.