New Frank Sinatra 3-CD Set of Live Recordings: "Standing Room Only" - May 2018 Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident Thread Starter

RSteven and Bob F like this.
  2. paulmock

Here's the whole thing!!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

3. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I like this one better than MSG

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Hoo Ha!

(Same as the one I posted, isn’t it? I didn’t understand Paul’s “for 30 seconds” comment.)

DmitriKaramazov and paulmock like this.
  5. paulmock

OH @Bob F I apologize!!!! I swear that was the 30 sec. sample that you posted. It is my mistake. Thank you for posting it almost immediately after it was released. I am just so giddy about this concert being released that I am not really paying attention to the posts. :righton:

Psychedelic Good Trip and Bob F like this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Can you really get too much of a good thing?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I agree. That “Hoo Ha!” really makes this version. Also, in the MSG version, Frank messes up the “sharpies and frauds” verse. Here, he bypasses it entirely (repeating the complete “barons and earls” verse), while throwing in the seldom-heard “She's all alone when she lowers her lamp” at the end.

I spent some time comparing a number of the many official live versions of “Tramp,” and he never sings the song exactly the same way twice. This one is a keeper.

8. paulmock

I totally forgot that on 10/7 (which was a Monday night) prior to the performance at the Spectrum, Mr. S gave a "live" interview with Hoard Cosell during the "Monday Night Football" broadcast to promote the upcoming "Main Event" the following Sunday on ABC. Obviously, I never saw it as I was sitting in the arena at the time.

9. paulmock

@Bob F Did he ever sing a song exactly the same way twice????? :laugh:

10. paulmock

@Bob F IIRC, Mr. S "Hoo Ha"'s on the 10/12 performance as well.

Bob F likes this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    DmitriKaramazov and paulmock like this.
  12. paulmock

...and don't forget the original very short intro written by Billy Byers which can be heard on the infamous July 1974 Australian tour!

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Here’s another track which should appear on Disc 3 of the new 3-CD set. From Reunion Arena in Dallas 1987, this appeared on official CD as a bonus track of the Concord 40th Anniversary Edition of My Way in 2009.

My Way (Live At The Reunion Arena/1987), a song by Frank Sinatra on Spotify

Note: The original Concord CD issue in the US had edited out Frank’s playful description of Paul Anka in the song intro. This was restored in the UMG EU CD and Japan SHM-CD, as heard above. The upcoming release has a track time 25 seconds longer than the above, which may indicate additional introductory chatter and/or trailing fanfare.

RSteven, DmitriKaramazov and paulmock like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love Frank being Frank and not editing out his verbiage about Mr. Anka. We all know there was never anyone in show business at the time who had greater intolerance for bigotry and intolerance. Frank was the antidote to many discriminatory practices at the time and the fact that he wasn't fake and politically correct for the current times makes it all the more real and refreshing.

Humbuster, MarkusGermany and Bob F like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I cannot believe how strong his voice was on My Way at Reunion Arena in 1987. My gosh, was he not almost 73 years old and he's belting out some pretty high notes in that clip posted above? Boy, the strings sound crisp and beautiful and I am really getting excited about the whole new Standing Room Only 3-CD set.

16. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

The one that really amazes me in that show is "My Heart Stood Still." He knocks it out of the park.

MLutthans and RSteven like this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And here's the televised version from the following day at MSG (on The Main Event DVD):

Lady Is A Tramp (Live At Madison Square Garden, New York, NY/1974)

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

19. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Got it- like it.

20. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Beaneydave likes this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh my, Frank really seemed to be in a gregarious mood that night. I always loved it on his introduction to the song NYNY, when he would say, "First introduced by Liza Minnelli and than stolen by me." Funny and true at the same time. Wow, and he switches to her "come though line" instead of his usual, if I am correct there. Really, really looking forward to hearing this whole concert, just wish I could have been there in person because it sounds like he was really in great sprits for this concert!

23. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Pre-ordered at Amazon USA - $28.99

RSteven likes this.
  24. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

What really makes me looking forward to this concert release is that the "New York, New York" track apparently does not have the aweful reverb from the former LP's nor the new orchestral tracks from the CD Sinatra 80th - Live In Concert.

Bob F and RSteven like this.
  25. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

It looks like the 1985 Japanese concert is back " on "
    Official release date (Japan only) May 23.

roda12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.