Did you ever buy a re-recorded album? Did you like it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I thought of the same album, but I loved it and still do!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    somnar and DBMartin like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Wow! That's pretty impressive for Roy to re-record his biggest hits in 1996, especially with him being dead for almost a decade and all!

Dudley Morris, eyeCalypso and Myke like this.
  3. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

There was the Blue Note Cover Series where the following artists covered the following albums in their entirety:

Charlie Hunter Quartet - Natty Dread

Fareed Haque - Deja Vu

Bob Belden - Tapestry

Everette Harp - What's Going On

George Howard - There's a Riot Going On

Ronnie Laws - Harvest For The World

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Released in 1996. Okay ? :buttkick:

somnar and Dr. Pepper like this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

My guess is that it is the 1987 recordings, just repackaged.

Shak Cohen, rogertheshrubber and Myke like this.
  6. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

[​IMG]

One of my favorite musicians Nick D'Virgilio (prog musician, drummer and singer from Spock's Beard, played drums on many songs from Calling All Stations by Genesis, drummer in Big Big Train and known for his work with fellow musician Kevin Gilbert back in the '90s just to mention a few projectos from his extensive curriculum) covered one of my all time favorite albums in its entirety and I was astonished at how it all sounded and the new perspective and life it gave an already immortal classic. Mixing other genres of music, besides being such a skilled drummer and singer, Nick really paid an incredible tribute and homage to an important album for prog fans. I can't recommend this enough for fans of the album. Of course it's not better than the original Genesis release, but a highly respectable tribute album.

On Progfest 1994 Nick on drums performed with Giraffe (a band featuring Kevin Gilbert) most of the Lamb album live as well, but if you can get a hold of the Rewiring Genesis album it's certainly a lot of fun!

Kevin Gilbert & Giraffe - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Live at Progfest 1994 (full show)

P.S. They really nail the rockin' part of Fly on a Windshield:righton:

7. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Gord's Gold side one

carlwm likes this.
  8. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

Not an entire album, but I prefer the redone versions of “Carolina in My Mind” and “Something in the Way She Moves” from James Taylor’s Greatest Hits.

Man at C&A and markbrow like this.
  9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Early versions of Laura Marling’s Semper Femina came with a live recording of the entire album. Both versions are pretty good and I couldn’t tell you which one I preferred.

10. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Would Krafterk’s currently available albums (the ones with reimagined artwork) be considered re-recordings?

11. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I was going to put 'Walk Right Back With The Everlys' which uses the 1962 re-recordings. Does this use the same versions? Still love them!

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I play for you, "My Mistake."

csnfan likes this.
  13. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Does Mostly Other People Do The Killing’s attempt to replicate Kind Of Blue note for note count?

Coltrane811 likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Sreeleye Span's Now We Are Six again is a perfectly respectable effort.

The original is decent but not top draw Steeleye, the remake puts a little more fire in the belly of the songs.

15. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Totally agree with you, I was introduced to Roy's music through these re-recordings, and I still think they sound great, even though the originals are the best. I enjoy listening to In Dreams Greatest Hits every now and then for a slightly different take on my favourite hits.

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I have no problem with Christian lyrics (or indeed any other sort of lyrics) as long as they are well done.

Blackie Lawless, for me at least, is up there with Kerry Livgren in presenting thoughtful and clever lyrics which have the advantage of never infantilizing the subject matter, a trap that many writers of Christian lyrics have fallen into.

PyroMessiah and Chazzbo13 like this.
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Natalie Merchant - Paradise is There was a fantastic re-recording...

18. Yes, by the Anti-Nowhere League. We Are The League....Uncut.
    Loved it.

Also a compilation of new recordings of old songs by The Buzzcocks. I loved that also; well, the songs that I knew beforehand sounded just great.

19. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Residents covering George Gershwin on side 1 and James Brown 'Live at the Apollo' on side 2.
    It's a studio album, but a very odd one. Why pairing 2 composers as different as those? Why slavishly covering Live at the Apollo?
    Better getting hold of the original James Brown Apollo and a good edition of Gershwin music in my opinion...

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Maybe 2018 Hologram Roy will take another stab at these!

21. RBurgwinekel

RBurgwinekel Forum Resident

Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy (by Hilsinger and Beatty) - LOVED IT!
    [​IMG]

22. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

My wife worked for K-Tel for a while in the 90's so I have a bunch of rerecords. Could not listen to most of them but I understand why the artist did it.

23. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Sort of...

[​IMG]

24. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Called "Spot the Difference". Was done to get lost royalties back. Doesn't sound much different but wanted to support them.

25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I really liked Roy Orbisons 80s rerecording of his hits with T Bone Burnett. Cool album. Cool sound. Seems to get panned. But i really dig it. It came out around the time he started that revival. Couple of really good solo albums and the Travelling Wulburies thing. Still in great voice, even at the end.

DBMartin and rogertheshrubber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.