Steely Dan CDs Different Masterings: The Summary Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoregnr, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Mine has no mention of A1388 or IFPI... either and it is the real SH master.

RoyH and bmoregnr like this.
  2. RoyH

RoyH Active Member

Thank you sir!

3. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

okay so I recently picked up a version of Aja, which from what I could tell based on the information the seller provided (EAC Peek Level: 90.8 - 91.7 - 90.6 - 88.7 - 96.3 - 86.2 - 97.6) was a number 3 in addition to the other information such as it being DIDY 000055 CRC and MCAD-37214 on the disc.
    This is the part that is throwing me off.
    The inside ring of the disc says DIDX-000055 4, has a bunch of stars on it and then in the clear plastic part near the hole, it has 2 stars which surround a symbol of some type.
    oh also the shiny reflective silver on the disc doesn't go to the edge. there is a darker and much more reflective ring around the edge of the disc. this is an example of what I mean, taken from the actual listing of it (I think the scanner made it look a bit weird too btw)
    [​IMG]
    Now I confirmed the levels so it's correct, but there isn't any reference to this version on the first page.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Demolitionman likes this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Your disc is a U.S. DADC (Digital Audio Disc Corp.) pressing, from the late '80s or early '90s. The logo between the stars embossed on the plastic ring is that of DADC.

I have located an earlier DADC pressing of Aja just once. It is a Columbia Record Club issue. It has "Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp." embossed on the plastic ring, and the matrix code is "DIDX 55 11A3". The matrix code is stamped in the original neat DADC font. It seems that this is a very rare pressing.

5. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

ah cool, good to know. well they used a good version at least

6. Josh Reznikov II

Josh Reznikov II Forum Resident

I have a hard time choosing the best digital version of Gaucho. I have too many :sigh: MFSL, 32XD, SACD, HDTracks, VDP-26... (sigh)

bmoregnr likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Tip: the 2003 SACD and the HDtracks download are the same (stereo) master.

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. Josh Reznikov II

Thnx. Neat to know, they definately sound similar.

9. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

I know the feeling!!

bmoregnr likes this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They should sound pretty much identical is what I meant: 2003 SACD = 2004 DVD-A = Hi-Res download.

However the 2010-2014 SHM-SACDs/CDs from Japan are a different and better master.

JoshM and bmoregnr like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident Thread Starter

Yes I was going to half joke, well you are close, just one more to go! But if your SACD isn’t the SHM variety and you want it all, I agree with @Plan9 the SHM is best, and enough so that it’d definitely be would be worth throwing in your mix.

Plan9 likes this.
  12. SundayDriver

SundayDriver Forum Resident

Thanks for assembling this. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my $4.25 DIDX 56/MCAD-37220 copy of Gaucho actually uses the same mastering as the Japan for Japan 32XD. The peak levels are identical. That ended up being a rare find without even realizing it.

Plan9 and bmoregnr like this.
  13. winders

winders Music Lover

I have this mastering of Gaucho:

Mastering 8:
    81.2/74.7/82.8/83.7/82.4/85.7/91.2
    MCA US MCAD-37220 DIDX 56 (artwork) MCAD-37220 'Manufactured in Japan for MCA (disc) / Matrix: MCAD 37220 2 S3E21

Note that the matrix is MCAD 37220 2 S4C14. Also note that the "DIDX 56" is not on the CD label and only on the jewel case inserts artwork.

Anyway, if I try to rip this on my iMac using dBpoweramp or XLD I get a bunch of errors and I lose patience and stop the rip somewhere by the middle of track 2. Using EAC on my MacBook Pro booted into Windows 10, I get a rip but the log says that the tracks do not match the AccurateRip database and that I may have a disc not in the database. The tracks seem to play fine via Roon on my 2 channel system. I use the exact same external Blu-ray DVD reader/burner on the iMac and the MacBook Pro.

Has anyone here tried ripping this release using dBpoweramp on a Mac and had it verify using AccurateRip?

Thanks!

14. Josh Reznikov II

I have both. Yes it is very good. 32XD is MUCH more rarer, but you're not missing out on it. :)

15. Josh Reznikov II

I downloaded the SHM-SACD of Gaucho and listened. Different than the 2003 SACD, but the only advantage I guess is it's more dynamic. The SHM-SACD is pretty dark sounding. Very similar to the 32XD imo

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. winders

winders Music Lover

I hate quoting myself but I found the answer on my own and thought I would share. I bought another copy of the same CD (matrix is also MCAD 37220 2 S4C14) and it rips fine and verifies using AccurateRip. So the first CD I had was bad.

This mastering is wonderful, by the way!

17. Josh Reznikov II

Same mastering as the 32XD too.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I finally had a chance to hear the Gaucho SHM SACD today. I can see why others might like the smooth top end, but I still prefer my more detailed CSR Japan for USA (mastering 3.) I also like the clarity on top on the CSR Japan for USA, as it allows more of the ambiance and the overtones of the organ to come through.

bmoregnr likes this.
  19. Josh Reznikov II

My thought exactly, I couldn't describe it like you can, but the SHM-SACD Gaucho sounded darker than the 32XD (Japan CSR) mastering. Also the 2003 SACD is great. With the exception of having trimmed peaks...

20. winders

winders Music Lover

I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread and the other Steely Dan album specific threads that this thread summarizes. I did not have any Steely Dan studio albums (CDs) in my library...just a compilation and some singles. Based on what I read here, I bought:

Can't Buy A Thrill - Mastering #3
    Pretzel Logic - Mastering #4
    Katy Lied - Mastering #3
    Aja - Mastering #3
    Gaucho - Mastering #8

All of these sound fantastic and I could not be happier!

pudgym, gregorya, bug2362 and 6 others like this.
  21. Josh Reznikov II

Any love for the Gaucho VDP-26 or Aja VDP-27???

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have the VDP-26, it sounds good of course but shows its early-80s transfer limitations a bit IMO.

Squad 701 likes this.
  23. Josh Reznikov II

I like the VDP-27 for a laid-back mastering of Aja, and the 32XD for when i'm in the mood. I like the VDP-26 of Gaucho too, but the SACD beats it for me, and maybe the 32XD too...

24. Josh Reznikov II

Good news. AcousticSounds (website) has a digital download of the DSD of Gaucho. Description says the DSD is sourced from the domestic U.S.A. SACD from 2003. Skip the HDTracks b/c the Acoustic Sounds download is digitally identical to the 2003 SACD

25. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Just wanted to add to the KL masterings:

Mastering #3
    MCA USA MCAD-37043/DIDY-373 CRC (full artwork/No UPC) / DADC Matrix: DIDX-373 21A3

bmoregnr likes this.