The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Starting today in Texarkana.

Gonna give 9 21 72 a spin. Ive only heard it once before about 5 years ago. I remember i thought it was a really boring gig but that Dark Star was maybe the best ever.

Its got a phenomenal setlist so lets see what "truck ears" and the passage of time will do for me today. :)

2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

What do folks around here think about DeadBase 50? There's apparently a half-off flash sale on Amazon this weekend and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.

I've never even seen any of the old versions either, so I'm wondering how necessary it is. I understand it's more focused on setlists as a database, but there are some show reviews included. Is there a lot of those? Is the format decent?

Sorry if these are bleedingly obvious questions, just curious since there are no "look inside" options on Amazon or anywhere else.

wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.
  3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I just see it listed HERE for $89.99, is there a better link?

wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I do believe I found the riff I was referring to above. Please remember that while this is a very good recording with soundboard as original source, it's not remotely close to the sonics and clarity at the show, so just saying, you should turn it up loud and imagine this particular riff being extremely detailed and clear at the moment. It begins at 3:08 just as weir says "travel" as-in "I'd like to get some sleep before I travel"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjby83ll8naAhUJ0oMKHb8_DkQQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Farchive.org%2Fdetails%2Fgd1973-03-31.sbd.bertha-ashley.31604.sbeok.flac16&usg=AOvVaw1C6Hlq7izrGygHUYag5IXc

Cheers -Zafu

5. GuidedByJonO)))

It was on Twitter this morning, from the official DeadBase 50 account:

DEADBASE 50 on Twitter

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Sold thanks bud

7. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Yeah '69 is a fun year. Don't know if I've experienced 10/25 previously.... downloading it now. Thanks for the excuse!

[there's just so much to choose from!]

Crispy Rob, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  8. Definitely not much of a show. An explanation I heard more than once is that Weir's dog Otis had just passed on. To canine heaven, of course. But still...death is a loss felt by the living.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I wish they would put Deadbase on sale in Canada. Sigh. My 1993 version is barely holding together.

Freebird and ianuaditis like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

So I was reading the pdf of the Egypt '78 experience yesterday, that someone here took the time to scan and made available for us the enjoy. Essential! Thanks again! A great and facinated read!

11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Marginal. Its basically Deadbase XI with a section in front with all the changes and additions compiled haphazardly. No font consistency it looks like they just threw all the notes they took and sent it to the printer. Plus the print and paper quality is terrible, looks like a xerox. Great cover photo tho. They need to follow it up with all the changes integrated into the main body of text and then it would be worthwhile.

Deadbase overall format is decent but Ive been reading it since the 80's so am pretty used to the format. I loved the annuals, wish there could've been one for every year! Its from another times forgotten space, I still saved the Duprees setlists for previous tours

12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Prepping for the next 1971 release. Enjoying May 29 & 30 1971 this morning. I think I only have second sets from those, for some reason. Must suss out the first sets. And next up for the ride home is 11/14/71, Texas Christian University. Strange venue, eh?

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I finally got around to playing this - and continuing the "Dark Star" legacy of 9-10, the jam coming out of drums is very much in that vein.

I should elaborate a bit on it - back in April of 83 there were a couple of pretty obvious Dark Star teases out of space that ultimately resolved into Throwing Stones. Then, on the last show before this one, 9-8 at Red Rocks, the set list for set 2 (on the version I listened to) reads 'Terrapin>Drums>Space>Other One>Throwing Stones etc. But what was called Other One on this transfer is actually a long jam with hints and teases of both Dark Star and the Other One, where Phil at one point plays his running intro bassline to the Other One, but sounds more like Dark Star again before Throwing Stones finally emerges.

So that was Thursday, then two days later it's something similar out of space. This time, it sounds a lot like Dark Star for a while, (and is in the right key,) then moves into a jam on some distinct chord changes I couldn't place, before moving into Other One territory (though it takes about 9 minutes before they sing the verse.) That one rips into GDTRFB and they end the set with the requisite Saturday Night. The only Cold Rain and Snow encore they ever played came next, a nice version with Phil supposedly singing (though it is hard to pick him out.)

I also heard 1-21-71, at UC Davis. This is a decent AUD, a bit overrun with crowd noise at times, but it's an excellent performance. Cold Rain and Snow, Smokestack Lightnin>Truckin' (with Pig on the harp,) Hard to Handle, Around and Around, and Cumberland Blues in set 1 are all excellent, and the centerpiece of Set 2 is the last That's it for the Other One>Cosmic Charlie ever, which features the quickly maturing 1971 Other One. In the reprise of Cryptical I would have sworn they were about to take it into Dark Star, when Garcia quickly started playing his part from the Cosmic Charlie verse, and they did that for a while before the singing started. Really good stuff.
    Well, at least instrumentally it had its moments. And Bird Song was good.

adamos, jazz_case and budwhite like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The intro of "Throwing Stones" is in the same mode that dominates "Dark Star" (A Mixolydian) so that may be why a "Throwing Stones" intro could sound like a "Dark Star" tease.

15. ianuaditis

This is what I heard as well about Deadbase 50, which is a shame. I love Deadbase though, you can see my copy (Volume IX) in my avatar.

The compendium is a great resource, but I rarely use it, whereas I look at Deadbase all the time. It's still faster than looking up a set list on the internet (Since I keep it in the computer desk anyway.) I love looking at the 'how many times played' stats and other stuff in that vein, but I realize not everyone geeks out like that.
    I prefer the reviews in Deadbase overall to those in the compendium, though the compendium has a writeup on every show.
    a chunk of the bottom right corner of the cover of mine is falling apart, I had kept it aside,planning to get some of those laminating sheets at staples or wherever and see if I can patch it up, but I think the kids got hold of the broken piece, as it's not in the drawer where I was keeping it.

Still, I will probably try to do something to save it, I already glued the pages back into the binding. Between Deadbase and the library books my toddlers wrecked I've gotten fairly handy at amateur book repairs.

If it was really falling apart I'd probably bring it to the office store and see if they can spiral bind it - though I was just looking at some bookbinding prices for fun, and for around 90 dollars you can get your book rebound with cowhide leather and gold leaf lettering. (even less if your version is under 500 pages, my Deadbase IX which includes Garciabase is only 563 pages, so earlier versions may be shorter.)

16. Billy_Sunday

You know you're a DeadHead when...

17. Billy_Sunday

I like the cut of your jib...

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  18. ianuaditis

Yes, the April versions are a bit clearer, even with the nebulous standards of a tease. Turns out one of them, which was mentioned in the Deadbase review, was from today's date, 4-20-83.

So there's some evidence they were consciously exploiting the similarity.

There's also this, from 87:
    “Dark Star we could bring back, but—Dark Star is so little, you know? I mean, Dark Star is only like three or four lines. Really, Dark Star is a little of everything we do, all the time. So what happened to Dark Star was, it went into everything. Everything's got a little Dark Star in it. I've never missed it, because what we were doing with it is everywhere. I mean, our whole second half is Dark Star, you could say."

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Billy_Sunday, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Worth it at half the price. Deadbase 50 combines the previous deadbase with a large update section. Would have been better and more useful if it had been integrated into one, but still lots of cool information. Lots of reviews, but the focus is the stats/database aspect of it.

jazz_case and ianuaditis like this.
  20. GuidedByJonO)))

DeadPod led me to The Spectrum back in '87, specifically the 30th of March for the middle night of the run. The show starts with a very hot "Shakedown", always a good sign. A decent "It's All Over Now" follows, then an excellent "Stagger Lee" - they could really nail those even in lesser heralded years. Brent gets his showcase early with "Never Trust A Woman" (or, at this point, "Good Time Blues"). A surprisingly vocally on-point "Box of Rain", with really nice versions of "Loser" and "Cassidy" to close out the brief set.

Set two opens fine with "Iko Iko" and a nice "Saint", but it's with the nice and lengthy "He's Gone" that the show picks up a lot of steam. Jerry, in particular, just seems absolutely locked in tonight. The run out of "Drums > Space" is killer, into "Truckin" and a brief dip into "TOO" before "Wharf Rat". Out of that we've got an inspired "Throwin' Stones" that leads into a particularly hot "NFA", especially on Brent's end of things. A fitting "Baby Blue" outro gets the encore spot.

Not necessarily the hottest show ever, but pretty good for '87 to these ears.

21. ianuaditis

They shared the bill with Rahsaan Roland Kirk that night
    This is from Bill Collins' review under your link:

"When the Dead crew showed up, I remember thinking, "Wow! These guys get to travel with the band!" There was a jug of lemonade(?) passed around that turned out to be dosed with Owsley's favorite.

According to story, he also managed to dose all of Kirk's band, but not Kirk himself. After the show, Kirk appeared just offstage near the front seats of the auditorium. One of our classmates said something to him that upset him, and he said "Where's my gun?" and started feeling the bags on his walking stick (which had something like animal-skin bags on the sides and a roller skate wheel on the bottom). We thought it was a joke, but his road manager said, "He ain't kidding, man!" and ducked behind a seat. Everyone scattered, but somebody calmed him down and he departed with our friend, Paul Pena for a night in Boston.

I do remember Mountain Girl showing up at soundcheck. Jerry was clearly pleased to see her. (I had a total flashback to that moment when I saw "This is Spinal Tap" and Jeanette shows up at a soundcheck.)

[...]

There was a moment during Kirk's closing set when he asked if there were any requests. Someone in the back of the hall said "Play something straight." Kirk replied, "If you don't dig it, why don't you split?" Legend has it that it was Bob Weir making the comment."
    that was @trd I think. Those long form essays where they focus in on a specific date are the best parts about the compendium, IMO.

22. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

It'd be a strange venue for them even today! As I've mentioned a few times before, it was the show that got me on the bus. I never in a million years thought the GOGD would have put on such a good show in little ol' Cowtown, but it's all there to hear. I'd just about DIE to hear something from their '70 show at Panther Hall.

23. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

That 11-14-71 show is one of my all time favorites. It's just crackling with energy!

24. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Regarding Deadbase 50, I know that there was only so much they could do with the new version. As others mentioned, it is basically a reprint of Deadbase XI plus extra material in the front and back.

When I heard they were doing a final one I contacted Mike Dolgushkin about adding some new reviews and also how I could help with the polls as I thought it would be fun to see how people’s thoughts evolved over time especially now that sooooo much more has come out in official releases and online. He mentioned they lost all of the old programming from years back and reconstructing it all would have been too time consuming. Understandable since they all have day jobs! I was thrilled to see they published a few of my reviews in the front!

I still think about doing some sort of independent online poll of favorite versions of songs, favorite shows each year, favorite Jerry shows, etc. First I would need to work on my computer skills! :^)

25. JManPro

JManPro Well-Known Member

I cherish my old copies of Deadbase, but more as relics than tools. I was/am not tempted by the 50th anniversary version.

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.