What is the oldest CD that you own?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

For me, the oldest CDs I have are around the same time of release: all of the Beatles on CD (which came as a Christmas present in 1987) and a 2-CD set that was originally bought by my Uncle from a TV ad from Heartland Music, Real Rock, which had hits of the 50's and 60's.

All of which I still play frequently and love playing!

Mbe likes this.
  2. mushmonster

mushmonster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mbe likes this.
  3. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Ha ha! I haven't the memory or resources to determine the answer. Oldest as in first produced (made), purchased? Might be Elvis's 'Spike', the Cult's 'Electric'...hard to say or recall!

Mbe likes this.
  4. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Lou reed - New york
    Bought for me in 1989/1990, still have it

mdm08033 and Mbe like this.
  5. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

First one I bought - Rhythm Of The Saints

Mbe likes this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I've only ever seen those on this forum. Never seen one "in the wild". Same with those black triangles and weird Mercury ones. Heck, the only target I've ever seen is the one I own and getting that was just dumb luck.

7. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I love my Abba red Polydor Visitors and have often wondered when they stopped making these and started making the silver ones?

mdm08033, Mbe and c-eling like this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Strange, because targets aren't that rare. I've seen quite a few in my local area over the last few years. I've seen one 35DP 3/4 black face (Miles Davis Some Day My Prince Will Come). No black triangles or Mercury green arrows. Only one red face Polydor.

Duke Fame likes this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Not long after they started making them would be my guess. My Abba Greatest Hits Vol. 2 is identical to the original red face version, except the paint. Same matrix, no letters in the hub, smooth sided case with four tabs.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I'm thinking part of it is that my used pick ups are largely Goodwill. And the music store I go to is in an iffy neighborhood so they put the CD's in those protective anti-shoplifting thingies so I'm not able to see if it's a Target ahead of time. The one target I own is VH1 and it was bought at that used store. Didn't know it was a target until I got out to the car and opened the case. All I knew was that it was an un-remastered pressing. At least those 35-DP's are easy to spot without opening the case.

11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Probably Prince's LOVESEXY, bought on cd week of release.

Mbe likes this.
  12. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Tangerine Dream - Rubicon 1984 cd Germany ( I bought the cd 3 years ago, The CD plays superbly:)
    Barcode: none
    Matrix / Runout: CDV 2025 2895 341 01 #
    I also have the UK cd 1987 ,each one has different mastering

Genesis ‎– Selling England By The Pound cd 1986 Virgin ‎– CASCD 1074, Charisma ‎– CASCD 1074
    Jean Michel Jarre– Oxygene cd 1986 Germany
    Jean-Michel Jarre ‎– Zoolook cd 1985 Germany made in France by PMDC
    Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark ‎– Architecture & Morality cd 1983 Europe ( Green cover)
    The Cure - Faith cd 1985 Fiction Records ‎– 827 687-2

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Mbe, Yost and c-eling like this.
  13. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

From 1987:

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here (CBS)
    Derek and the Dominos-In Concert (RSO)
    Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert (RSO)

Mbe and vertical like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Hey, my Canadian Cinram is red :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

Mbe and gedsmit like this.
  15. doity

doity Forum Resident

I actually bought both Billy Joel’s from a Japanese EBay seller. I think they were about $60 plus a very small shipping charge. In almost new condition and my CD player loves both of them. It is a Denon DCD-3000 I think the model is.....the one that has the powered front door that drops down and you insert the CD like you would a coin in a gum ball machine. The funny thing is, if I try some of the ‘Target’ CD’s my player will usually skip all over the place. The very first ones on the market will play no problem.

Duke Fame likes this.
  16. arriano

arriano The California Kid

McCartney's "Tug of War" -- I bought it in '83. I remember how financially draining it was as a poor college student to buy CDs at the time. $15 or $16 each, double the cost of a vinyl album.

SecondHandNews and vertical like this.
  17. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Dave Grusin/Lee Ritenour 1985

[​IMG]

Mbe likes this.
  18. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

I know, I know, that for most the red faced Visitors cd is understandably highly prized (if not highest) in a collection of even just 1 (one).

My personal equivalent which is allied with the full emotion of owning such a cd is the sublime, superb, magnificent (don’t come any better);

Jon and Vangelis – The Friends of Mr Cairo
    [​IMG]

Yost, Dave S and c-eling like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Abba or not, it's beautiful face art, nice!

Mbe likes this.
  20. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

The first CD I purchased:
    Bryan Ferry - Another Time, Another Place (EG Blue Ring German Import)

Mbe and c-eling like this.
  21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My first two are probably my oldest. I think it was 1985 when I got my first CD Player.

[​IMG]

Pictured is one of those first two CDs, CARPENTERS SINGLES 1969-1973. It's CD-3601, it has no bar code, and it has a smooth-sided jewel-case. The inserts say DIDX-23, but there's no such designation on the disc itself. Around the hub is machine-dot-matrix font with CD-3601 and 1A5 58.

The other first disc bought with that player was the soundtrack for SOMEWHERE IN TIME. It too has no bar code, smooth-sided case, and the disc has printed on it MCAD-5154 and DIDX-347. Around the hub is M C A D 5 1 5 4 M 2 0 1 1 .

Shortly thereafter I bought a Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass CHRISTMAS ALBUM on CD, and still later, some Japanese imports of the Tijuana Brass WHIPPED CREAM and S.R.O. Neither of those had a bar code.

Dynamic Ranger, Mbe, vertical and 2 others like this.
  22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

First four I bought, back in '83 I think it was:
    Bruce Springsteen: Nebraska
    Pink Floyd: The Final Cut
    Stevie Ray Vaughn: Couldn't Stand The Weather
    Paul McCartney: Band On The Run

Mbe and vertical like this.
  23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't think Nebraska was out in 1983. The first Japanese CD was issued in 1985, and I don't think domestic issues predate it.

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have this cd and I wonder who knows about it:
    Real Time RT-2001 The Digital Masterpiece Series ...it has a smooth sided case and a date of 1982. I've had it for decades...

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The version on discogs is a reissue made in the USA by Sanyo. The others in the series listed on discogs appear to be made in Japan by Sanyo. They have patent pending cases with a little S to the bottom right of Patent Pending. The Japanese CDs say Manufactured by Sanyo in Japan in the matrix.

Mbe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.