Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Who cares, geez? There are millions of records out there. Why should anyone care if you didn't get a dozen or so RSD titles?

fitzrik and Flynbryan like this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah but how would you feel if you drove that far and they sold the last cup to the guy in front of you in line? ;)

TonyCzar, fitzrik and Rick Bartlett like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

awww I miss the days bein' a youngin' and standing out the front of a record store to
    get the latest release, seems like a life time ago. Now, eBay seems to bring the goods to me,
    at normally pretty good prices, but the thrill isn't the same.
    :tiphat:

Christopher B and mcd4959 like this.
  4. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Did you get the indie store black/green split? I just moved outside a major city and the two somewhat nearby shops didn't have it. I wound up ordering the green vinyl from Third Man.

5. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Must be an EU/UK thing....:shrug:

6. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Right on brother! What is it they say? Ethics is all about what you do when no one is looking....

troggy likes this.
  7. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

As I get older, I get smarter. I bring a chair now. The bigger problem is bathroom access while waiting.

Rick Bartlett and troggy like this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Unacceptable. Time to move!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Sorry if I missed this but....
    what's happened to Phish - Billy Breathes?
    I no longer see it on the RSD list.

Any info?

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Here's the solution...

[​IMG]

11. Fa La La

Fa La La Well-Known Member

Can't say until I hear it. I'm intrigued there's still unreleased Miles Davis studio recordings being released but I'm skeptical about them adding newly recorded parts.

fitzrik likes this.
  12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I read an interview with Al Jourgensen years ago where he said he wore these at concerts. I'm not sure if he was joking or not. I'll just skip my morning coffee, as hard as that will be.

13. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

yep, got the green/black split, almost regretting the $$, but oh well.
    Also, someone asked above, Billy Breathes is def. around. I’ve seen pics from local places, $45 I think?

14. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

How much was it? The Third Man was $30.

15. Fa La La

Phish still listed on the site for me. Maybe it was just momentary glitch. $49.98 list price.

16. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Looking at at academically, the real point of this day was supposed to be about -- Ithought – – ensuring that record stores stay in business. I can't get to bent out of shape if some truly good customers get some sort of benefits in terms of set aside's. One would hope that in that scenario, they're not going to be set aside numbers in the flipping level, but maybe just one or two special items.

I was just at a store that moved locations recently to a place near me. This place apparently orders a lot of RSD items, as I saw a ton of unsold merchandise there – – including doubles of a 2017 item for almost half of what I seen on the net (one of which I purchased).

This was maybe my third time in there, and I usually take out a respectable haul. There were a couple of people and they're buying many new and used items, many of which you could tell were big ticket. The owner was going back-and-forth with them on recommendations and so forth, and they seemed to be making additional purchases based on that. By the time they headed to the register, it looks like they had hundreds of dollars worth of product they were going to buy.

Again, speaking academically, people like this spending at a decent clip on a regular basis often can help introduce a level of stability to a business owner. The owner – – who again, is still sitting on quite a bit of unsold product from previous record store days -- may well aside some key items for the truly dependable customers.

If that happens, with the net result being that the record store stays open year-round and gives me and others an opportunity to shop at a well-stocked store, I'm fine with that. I think the continued viability of record stores was the original point of this exercise, not just getting cute curios out to people, too many of which still don't get the point of supporting a local store if they can get something for two dollars cheaper from an online source.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Jeff Edwards, fitzrik and troggy like this.
  17. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I usually get there at 3:00 am. I never considered it "camping," though - I just stand there until the store opens.

18. Fa La La

Bullmoose still has Piper at the Gates of the Dawn listed with 8 bonus tracks. RSD.com did originally as well though now it's just the regular album tracks. Which is it? Anybody know?

19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

hell no! hahahahaha!!!!!
    Ok I rest my case, i'll pay some eBay seller double and wait in the comfort of my own home.
    Thankyou folks for making me see the light!
    :edthumbs:

action pact likes this.
  20. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Stores that do this can - and should - get banned from the event.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Steel Woole and LeeGriffin like this.
  22. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I don’t think you can fit 8 bonus tracks on 1 Lp.

23. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Last time, the local store took the first three in line to the RSD section to casually pick out only one item each. As each left to go to register, the next in line could join the other two still looking. After purchase, you could leave it behind the counter with your name on it if you wanted to get back in line for another choice. It worked beautifully as most seemed to be happy with getting at lease one item from their want list. (I was able to get two of my top three choices)

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd like the Pink Floyd mono Piper like many of us here, but my outlook on collecting records has changed over the last couple of years. I'm off work tomorrow but I'm not willing to waste hours on a rare Saturday off queuing for a record I might not even get and if I do it'll be very expensive. At the moment I'm happy just to get records if I see them and don't care if I miss out. I have many records and CDs anyway, including a 1969 stereo UK Columbia pressing and original CD of Piper so I have a lot of music to listen to. I'm nowhere as willing to put myself through long waits & large crowds to get records as I used to be.

To be honest if I never get another record or CD again I'd be more than happy with what I have now. That's not to say it will happen though!

I hope all the music lovers get what they want tomorrow and all the eBay flippers miss out!

SammyJoe, mne563, Complier and 5 others like this.
  25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got in line about an hour ago...first! Number 2 got here about 7 minutes later.

LivingForever, Grow Fins and scotti like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.