Soundgarden - A-Sides Reissue (Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to a post by photographer Kevin Westenberg on Instagram (Instagram post by KW • Jan 29, 2018 at 8:10am UTC ), Soundgarden's A-Sides compilation is due to be issued on vinyl sometime in the near future. Hoping for some unreleased material to go along with it, but that's doubtful.

"SOUNDGARDEN are currently in the process of releasing the first material since Chris’s untimely passing. Turns out that the initial greatest hits collection, ‘A-Sides’ was never released on vinyl. Now that vinyl is “back”, this album on vinyl will soon be re-released. Of course this makes perfect sense especially for sound quality. Release date TBC. Sourcing new unseen photos and refining the older photos in the original package is now under way with various images being looked at for inclusion. I went through a period 20-25 years ago where I felt that with certain artists, a black background was the purest form of expression. In my mind it was also representative of the anti-white background. This represented the opposite of commerciality, which also allowed visual focus on the artists face, expression and enhanced the dark mood of the era. The void and black space always meant more to me in my earlier works, than the parts of the photo one could see. If there was ever a subject that would fit this prerequisite, it was Soundgarden and my vision of what Soundgarden was for me as a band. This set up was also part of the 18 hour marathon shoot at the Ok Hotel for the DOWN ON THE UPSIDE campaign."

2. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

This is something I'll be looking forward to...

3. FourWalledWorld

4. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Want

5. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

I’m disappointed that there’s only going to be 5000 pressed. Has the retail price for it been released? I’m guessing around $40 if people on eBay are already selling it for $60.

Is there a chance it will be released again down the road?

joshm2286 likes this.
  6. FourWalledWorld

It's an "RSD First" release so will be widely available in the near future.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  7. Tedw9

Tedw9 No More Mr. Nice Guy

Bull Moose has it listed for $34.97.

joshm2286 likes this.
  8. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

I hope so. Aren’t some releases though more exclusive, and not re-released?

I just don’t get why it’s such a limited pressing. I would figure there wouldn’t even be enough produced so that each store participating would receive one.

9. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

That isn’t an unreasonable retail price. I can’t see paying $60 for it though. I would trade my extra copy of Live On I-5 for it however.

10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Yes, those that do not fall under the RSD First category are exclusive to RSD. This release is not exclusive.

Kinda the whole point of RSD. Manufactured rarity to encourage you to patronize your local independent record store, rather than just ordering from Amazon or something.

11. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

I feel like when the pressing is limited, it attracts scalpers. The scalper probably makes more of a profit than the record store.

AcidPunk15 and joshm2286 like this.
  12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Yeah, that's definitely a side effect

joshm2286 likes this.
  13. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I still haven't seen any signs of a re-release of the Poncier EP that was released as an "RSD first" last November.

14. FourWalledWorld

That's a good point. You know, I was almost positive that wasn't an "RSD First" release since I hadn't heard of it being one before but I just went on the RSD site now and see it listed as it - RSDBF '17 Special Release: Poncier - Poncier

JasonA likes this.
  15. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

I can kind of understand if Poncier doesn’t get re-released. It’s not going to appeal to the masses.

I wouldn’t mind buying one (or all three) of Poncier, but I wouldn’t fight people for it on RSD, nor would I pay scalper prices. If it’s repressed and is around $10, I feel like it’s worth getting.

A-Sides, on the other hand is a greatest hits by a pretty significant band. I would think that sales would be pretty good if it got a proper release. As long as it’s a good pressing.

Another thing I don’t like about RSD is that people are forced to buy records without getting any input on if it’s a good pressing. I feel like that’s more for record collectors who keep all of their records sealed and never listen to them, and not music enthusiasts.

JeffMo and JasonA like this.
  16. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

It completely contradicts the purpose of RSD. It’s supposed to be fans of music buying from a local store. Instead it turns into random people buying them up and selling them on eBay. It wouldn’t surprise me if some stores just bypassed their local clientele and sold their RSD records on eBay from the start. Why shouldn’t the record stores sell them for more online instead of the scalpers? From what I’ve been told record stores only make about 10% profit on new record sales.

joshm2286 likes this.
  17. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Stores caught selling RSD items on or before the day risk being banned from participating in the event.

Stores generally make more than 10% depending on their cost and how much they mark it up. 30-40% is more likely.

joshm2286 likes this.
  18. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

It still listed on the RSD site as a RSD First title. Those classifications are always weird and can change. I recall a few years ago when that big LCD Soundsystem box came out on RSD, it was listed as an RSD First thing. Then they never pressed more.

Poncier is a weird one to not be an exclusive. I don't see the demand for that one being so high as to require a repress and you can still find it online for a decent price if you search around - so maybe they scrapped the second press.

19. FourWalledWorld

An update on this - it's actually pressed on green vinyl. I don't remember seeing that mentioned anywhere before.

20. Tedw9

Tedw9 No More Mr. Nice Guy

This was the one RSD record I wanted I was able to lay my hands on today. Mine is green vinyl with some black marble mixed in. And I only had time to listen to one side of one record, but what I heard sounded fantastic. I can’t wait to let this one rip.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Do we know who cut the RSD version and where it was pressed?

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  22. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Would like to know as well. I missed this at RSD so I had to pay about $15 more on discogs. Hoping it's worth the extra effort. I'd hate to find out it's a bad pressing on such a wonderful album

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My disc 1 was green marbled black and my disc 2 was green marbled white. My guess is that the 5000 limit will be the green marbled vinyl and then it will continue to be available in regular black vinyl after that.

24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

And how does it sound?

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Had it on as background music during a busy day. No obvious problems, but did not do any really critical listening yet. I'll transcribe the dead wax information later this evening if someone else does not beat me to it, but will not have a chance to listen again until tomorrow.

VinylMario and James Bennett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.