I guess I need a new DAC...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

I just found out something very intersting.

When I listen to digital, I plug a MacBook Pro (~2011) into a Schiit Modi DAC and this into my Denon receiver. This is the discontinued Modi, not the Modi 2, the Uber nor the Multibit. It is fed by USB only and doesn't have a power chord, it is powered by the USB itself. I play FLAC files, all my 1,000 CDS were ripped.

Today I wanted to listen to a recently released record and plugged my iPad Air 2 in the same receiver to play it through Spotify Premium. I used P2 from the iPad headphone jack to RCA input.

To my surprise, it sounded better !

So I plugged my MacBook back to the Modi and played the same songs in Spotify Premium (320kbps), so I could switch between sources to compare.

Music from the iPad had more detail and more stereo separation. It's also more pleasant.

This really surprised me. Is it possible that the iPad internal DAC is superior than the Modi? Am I hearing things? Maybe some compatibility issue between components? Is it just a matter of taste? I don't know. The Modi was a cheap $99 DAC and was discontinued, I’m pretty sure Schiit has better DACs out there.

Anyway this suggests me I should think about a new DAC. I was looking at options available where I live and the Marantz HD-DAC1 seems like a good option.

What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm betting that your Ipad probably just applies something along the lines of a nice smiley EQ-curve to the headphone output, and that you prefer the sound that way.

vconsumer, Szeppelin75, Helom and 3 others like this.
  3. punkmusick

Good point, but not sure. A smiley EQ would have stronger bass I suppose, and the bass in the Modi is not inferior to the iPad. The EQ in the Spotify was the same for both.

4. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

iPads and iPhones measure ruler flat. No “nice smiley EQ”, unless you have applied it yourself among the presets.

Robert C likes this.
  5. Different mastering? Different compression levels?

6. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

That wouldn't surprise me.

7. punkmusick

I'm pretty sure that was not the case. Same music in the same record just released streamed through Spotify Premium (320kbps) both.
    Must be same mastering and same compression level.

8. punkmusick

I was surprised. I thought a dedicaded DAC, even a cheap one, should deliver better sound quality than the iPad, specially considering Schiit is highly regarded in good affordable DACs as long as I know.

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think it's very reasonable that the DAC on your apple could be be better than a $99 DAC from a few years ago. Apple is just a bit larger company, has more resources and a better economy of scale than Schiit.

But regardless, yes, get a better DAC.

SirMarc and punkmusick like this.
  10. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Had a similar dilemma recently. I ended up going with a better DAC. I also wanted a basic CD player (though I'm mostly a vinyl guy), so I picked up the Musical Fidelity M3SCD. It's designed to be a digital hub, with 3 inputs (coax, optical and USB) in addition to the built-in CD player.

punkmusick likes this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I used to have the original Modi, and can easily see a scenario in which one prefers the ipad. I find DACs with wall warts to have low ceilings, and that Modi doesn't even have a dedicated power supply at all. I felt things sounded pretty compressed and thin through it.

punkmusick likes this.
  12. punkmusick

I like this brand. I have their entry-level phono stage (V90 LPS) and it's pretty decent.

eflatminor likes this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I wonder how it would compare if you could use one of these to connect the iPad to the Schiit? Would this bypass the internal DAC?
    Also, I'm guessing it probably can't supply the power that the Schiit needs. Maybe if you put a powered USB in between?? haha. Sounds weird but might be a fun experiment.

[​IMG]

head_unit likes this.
  14. punkmusick

Yes it would be interesting, but I don't have this cable.

15. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

I'm assuming you are controlling volume via the receiver. Hopefully that's the case. The next question would be do you have the volume levels on the Ipad and Computer both maxed out?

punkmusick likes this.
  16. punkmusick

Yes exactly, both maxed out, controlling via receiver.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Can you check frequency response? Do you have an AC voltmeter? Like generate some test tones on the iPad (must be apps for that, don't know one right off the top of my head). Then check like 15000 Hz, 5000, 1000, 100-something along those lines.

Now, are you listening at the same levels when you compare? Level trumps all, it's one of the hardest things for making a proper comparison, although some sound characteristics are obvious anyway.

18. punkmusick

I didn't take any measurements. I tried to level volume by ear. In the receiver control, DAC was 4dB louder.

19. despite the hate Apple gets they make good products while they last. sometimes its the synergy between the software and hardware.

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.