The Endless (movie) -- science fiction

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

How often does a real good science fiction movie come along? Well, it's too rare for my memory. But this looks intriguing, and it has a 100% RT rating (20 positive; 0 negative . . . so far)

I stopped watching the trailer about half way through . . . just to make sure they didn't start giving away the plot.

The Endless

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Are you sure this is good science fiction? The plot synopsis is:

"...follows two brothers who receive a cryptic video message inspiring them to revisit the UFO death cult they escaped a decade earlier. Hoping to find the closure that they couldn't as young men, they're forced to reconsider the cult's beliefs when confronted with unexplainable phenomena surrounding the camp"

That doesn't exactly get my juices flowing...

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Looks interesting.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sounds interesting.

5. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

Knowing full well how readers flocked to The Quiet Place thread, with alternating protestations of "credible thriller" vs. "manufactured (& cheap) scares," now we turn to the next candidate, The Endless:

Here is the trailer:

Again, RT is here with its ratings, to either "show us the way" or perhaps (alternatively), "to lure our souls into a black morass of improbability". The RT score, imperfect as it may be, is 96%: with 49 fresh and 2 rotten votes:
    The Endless

[​IMG]

Now are you going to drink the kool-aid, not knowing exactly what lies beneath, or you going to flee to higher ground, escaping the loud "sucking sound" of your hard-earned dollars wafting out of your wallet?

Do you feel lucky . . . or not?:evil::bone::evil::bone::evil:

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Going to be honest, that trailer was all over the place. I might see it eventually. But if I did, it'd be because of positive word of mouth. Including what Rotten Tomatoes has to say. But definitely not based on the preview.

townsend likes this.
  7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I feel the plot is familiar...?I will skip it..

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Looks pretty good! The plot looks familiar? I didn’t have the slightest idea what was going on!

9. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

The trailer didn't tell us a damn thing

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Much ado about nothing.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm definitely looking forward to this. For those who say they have no idea whats going on, I believe the basic premise is two brothers were raised in a cult. They left, but now that they are out they recieve something that makes at least one of them think the cult leader may not have been crazy and it (or something) may be true, so they want back in. Something along that line. I don't need or want to really know anymore than that. I heard about this one elsewhere, and its on my radar.

12. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I know two threads are out there re: the trailer (primarily). I saw this last weekend and will be seeing it again this week. I am very intrigued by the movie and have been thinking a lot about it, trying to figure out what I think that it means. Anyone else see the movie?

13. agentalbert

Finally saw this last night and enjoyed it for the most part. It takes its time and there but there are some images that really stay with you.

14. agentalbert

So did anyone else see this? Seems like the trailer got a lot of attention, but I haven't seen any comments on the actual picture. I didn't feel it quite delivered what I hoped for, but I still enjoyed it. One person's fate in particular seems as hellish as anything I can imagine.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  15. Havent seen it yet but its one Im planning on watching after Resolution (2012), and Spring (2014) by the same two directors/writers if those are any good.

16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

"old rich guy dies whispering one word and some guy tries to find out what it means."

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ohhh-kay.

I don't see "science fiction" out of this, but rather mystery/horror. Not that that's a bad thing, by any means. Ya gotcher obsessed former youth, ya gotcher ramote area, ya gotcher "something's out there", ya gotcher old-friends-not-what-they-seem-to-be angle, and ya gotcher endless potential for jump-shocks for the audience.

Anybody see any opportunity for fans to engage their minds with questions about unconsidered scientific advancement, or forward momentum to the human race...? Anyone?...Bueller...? ...Crickets...?

Yeah, enjoy that. Don't spill your popcorn.

18. Thats kind of the setup for Cthulhu. No surprise the directors adapt some of HP Lovecraft themes in their movies.

19. agentalbert

Yeah, after seeing it I figured some would quibble over it being called "science fiction". Unless you want to accept whatever IT is as a scientific phenomenon, but it seems more in the realm of supernatural.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Or at least, it could fall within the realm of the supernatural...
    I guess that depends on whether you say it with raised eyebrows and a flourish of pointing up in the air...or if you say it while wiggling your fingers outstretched towards the person you're staring at mischieviously...!

21. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Rosebud...

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think ANNIHILATION was a terrific science fiction film . . . Even had a 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY what-the -heck-was-that ending.

23. Looks like an interesting film. I will rent it first but sounds promising.

24. In this story it's more than a macguffin.

25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I've seen the d!@ed movie-my point was a short blurb is nit necessarily indicative of the entire experience of a movie-"father and son try to recover their lost bicycle"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.