Musical acts who NEVER used outside musicians or singers on ANY studio recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SJB, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Nah, Chris Spedding, early on.

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

As been mentioned, there are strings on the second and third album (on "Anthem" and "April" respectively).

What other people are on Ace Of Spades, and in what capacity?

3. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

C C DeVille & Steve Vai provide "guest" solos on a couple of later albums, and there's even a horn section on one of them. HHH from the WWE does some vocals too.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

There’s no guests on Ace of Spades. Girlschool appear on one song but it’s on the 1996 reissue. There are a bunch of guests on March ör Die (1992).

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm not in a position to actually research it but for a long running band I'm thinking Traffic.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

Modern Jazz Quartet

The Crusaders etc., etc., etc...

You get the idea, in Jazz and Classical virtually everyone. Not counting recordings with Special Guests or a star player sitting in which is not the same as bringing in “ringers” or hired guns who can nail it in one or two takes and save everybody time, money, and aggravation. :)

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Faith Hope Love has the Galactic Cowboys on one track and several other musicians on “Six Broken Soldiers” and another musician on “Legal Kill”. They do come pretty close, though. They’ve never had a lot of outside musicians on their albums.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There's a cello on "Monkey Gone To Heaven", and Eric Drew Feldman played keys on the last album.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Crusaders had various ringers (guitar and bass players, drummers after Stix Hooper left). Modern Jazz Quartet did collaboration albums with Sonny Rollins, Jimmy Giuffre etc.

10. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

First album (Mr. Fantasy):

Bruso and DTK like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I mentioned Ben Mink & Aimee Mann in post # 129. Anyway, fun thread, but it’s pretty clear few bands have pulled off what the OP has asked for.

12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Black Flag if you don't count some background vocals on Loose Nut.

Sonic Youth?

13th Floor Elevators?

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ok, maybe that's what Oatsdad meant. Even so, the Motörhead/Girlschool stuff were collaborations between two bands, I don't consider that type of thing using "outside musicians" since it just involves the members of the credited bands.

14. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Depends. Does Richard Hell?

15. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Chester Thompson?

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Never played on any Pistols recording, only produced, by his own account.

17. Rory Gallagher?

18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance Thread Starter

Never mind "Kashmir" - Sandy Denny sings on "The Battle of Evermore." Zep's out.

Richard Tandy played harpsichord on "Blackberry Way," and there were orchestral overdubs on several tracks - "Cherry Blossom Clinic," "Beautiful Daughter," "That Certain Something"...

GodShifter likes this.
  19. SJB

Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermer didn't play on Genesis's studio recordings, but as discussed previously, Genesis is disqualified by the orchestra on From Genesis to Revelation and the horns on "Paperlate" and "No Reply at All."

Edit: There were also session drummers on the final album, Calling All Stations. Neither Nir Zidkyahu nor Nick D'Virgilio were full-fledged members of the band.

20. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Indeed, but I gave the proviso not counting special guests or star players sitting in. The Jazz Messengers were are revolving door too. I always say Art Blakey and Horace Silver were like grad school for lots of great players. :)

If you want to know who could really play what you hear on their records the jazz guys have chops. Otherwise, I’m not sure what is the point of the question? People use studio musicians because they can deliver the goods on time and give it some flavor.

The jazz musicians were often the guys sitting in on those rock recordings. Look at Stuff, all players. That doesn’t mean they could write great songs or make a hit album. Those are different skill sets.

21. SJB

Wow, that's a whole other group! I suppose that's a thread idea for another time - guest appearances by an entire group on a record by a different group (or solo act). Derrick Anderson's A World Of My Own has all the Bangles and all the Smithereens.

garymc and Bruso like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

At least 3 come to mind: Travelin Band; Long As I Can See The Light; and Molina. All 3 feature John Fogerty on saxophone.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    a customer likes this.
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Thought about this some more, and while I'm not sure if any of Linden's creations are actually on Eliminator, he claims he was present for some of the more experimental El Loco recordings, which were made in Frank's home studio, and that he for example plays percussion on "Groovy Little Hippy Pad" (on that album there's also the steel guitar).

DTK likes this.
  24. artist_nine

artist_nine Forum Resident

Both have guested on Queen albums?

However, there are at least these other guest musicians on Queen albums:

John Anthony – backing vocals (Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll)
    Roy Thomas Baker – castanets (The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke), stylophone (Seven Seas Of Rhye)
    Mike Stone – additional vocals ( Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy)
    Reinhold Mack – keyboards (Rock It)
    Howard Blake - orchestral arrangements (Flash Gordon album)
    Arif Mardin - horns (Staying Power)
    David Bowie - vocals, saxophone, synthesizer (Under Pressure)
    Fred Mandel - synthesizers, piano (The Works album)
    Spike Edney - keyboards (A Kind Of Magic album)
    Steve Gregory - alto saxophone (One Year Of Love)
    Lynton Naiff – string section (One Year Of Love)
    National Philharmonic Orchestra (Who Wants To Live Forever)
    Michael Moran - keyboards (All God's People)
    David Richards - keyboards (The Miracle and Innuendo albums)

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Mea culpa - I used the notes on Wiki for "Ace" and didn't separate the original album tracks from the bonus songs! :hide:

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.