Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

In that case why are they still participating all these years on?

sirmikael likes this.
  2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Yeah, that place is barely big enough to swing a cat in. Did you also hit up Port Of Sound on Harbor blvd in Costa Mesa?

3. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Anyone knows how much is the Chris Robinson Brotherhood release?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

they need to stay competitive. If they don’t participate then everyone will take their business elsewhere that day and they’ll lose a lot of business. That’s not to say it’s hugely profitable, it’s just another day they need to do business to stay open

5. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I managed to find a copy at my local, price was 79.98.

Ivand likes this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Saw all those after showing up after 9!

7. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I may try to pick up the Cash boxset at a later date once the card has cooled down, depending on availability and price at that time. The Springsteen Greatest Hits is a RSD First release on red vinyl, with a regular release coming either at the start of June or July. I'm not too disappointed about missing out on that one as I know I'll be able to get a regular one soon.

8. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

All I need is Baby Huey this year. Hopefully, I'll get one.

scotth likes this.
  9. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

No, I guess I should add them to my drive, just in case Factory doesn't get everything. Factory is expensive, but at least I feel good about supporting his little store.

10. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I am glad the store around here only allows one copy of each. That sucks, sorry to hear

11. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I got most of what I wanted, Pink Floyd (which was really my only must get), Chuck Berry greatest hits, Doors Live at the Matrix part 2, Bowie Live, Steven Wilson single

I didn't see The Kinks or the Complete Clapton

12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

You weren't kidding as The Record Centre was very, very crowded!! I managed to pick up the Daughter's Before The Storm along with the Johnny Cash's The Singles exclusive release, funded by a number of well-known Canadian record shops from coast to coast.

The Pink Floyd release disappeared FAST. Today's RSD at that shop was, by far, the most crowded I ever saw!

13. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

How much is the Steven Wilson release? Thank you

14. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Surprised that the Zeppelin "7 was not popular. Also lot of Miles Davis, Dylan and the Dead, Tom Waits and The Cure left in Utrecht.

15. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Nice going! In the Los Angeles area, this would be the type of place to hit up where the competition would be a little less fierce, shall we say? ;) Just out of curiosity, did you happen to notice if he had any mono Piper's? I am sure they are long gone by now.

16. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

That makes no sense at all if, as you say, they "break even at best". So the best they can do is make no profit, and they are more likely to lose money? Really!?

17. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

It's for the hype, and to retain those customers who eagerly await that day to get something unique. Also, marketing-wise, it does cause something when ordinary people see a lineup leading into a...record store in 2018. Personally, I don't subscribe to this hype, but I can see why some store owners do it.

DrewMeyer likes this.
  18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I should have put the Pink Floyd mono as my #1 and not #2. I was in line before 7 AM (probably about 150 people back before they opened at 8) and it apparently sold out in seconds. I did get my #1 priority, the Bowie live Lp. So there’s that.

I ended up going to three stores. All sold out of te Floyd.

19. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Id like some feedback on your purchases especially the Boss, eurogliders, black sorrows and cocker?

20. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

It seems like they may have pressed a lot of the LZ singles. The store that I was at had loads, and it's not that big a store. I think it may end up being popular, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still copies available after today.

21. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Are you saying that the profit margin on RSD stock is smaller than any other release? I don't buy it as the best case scenario is they are the same price as normal label releases and many are more expensive. Especially considering how many stores add additional markup to the bullmoose list prices and people still buy.

Mo0g likes this.
  22. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

If there are truly record store owners willingly making a loss for either of those reasons then I am amazed they are still in business. If I was a loyal customer of a record shop, there would be a reason for that loyalty. If I had to go to a different shop on RSD to get an exclusive record, it will not mean I carry on going to that second shop because this time next year I might be able to buy another exclusive/limited record.

The whole point of RSD is to provide a boost to indie shops, not so they "break even at best" and feel compelled to make a loss just to retain customers.

23. SWLABR

SWLABR Forum Resident

I still can't find much in the way of info on the Page release, but I snagged it.

Good thing you didn't go to Millpond this year, they're in the middle of selling the business, so they didn't participate! Forch's is the best around here anyway!

24. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

Congrats!

rednedtugent likes this.
  25. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

you are not a typical record buyer and you must not talk to small record store owners. The biggest thing is rsd stock is non returnable and a ton of stock is often left unsold. Just read about it, it’s not as good for record stores as they would have you believ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.