Ringo Starr now under contract with BMG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 81531, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

BMG has no rights to reissue ANYTHING. Those rights remain with the record companies who are the owners of the master recordings. This is about publishing - as in songs - NOT recordings. The only way I can see this leading to reissues is if BMG goes to each of those record companies and offers them a discounted fee (or some other incentive - depending on what kind of deals the terms of their contract with Ringo actually allows them to make on his behalf) to entice them to do reissues, but even then they have no control over whether those record companies will say yes.

I'd imagine the biggest "CD reissue" this may spur is a single (or maybe at most a double) CD promo of songs Ringo had a hand in writing that will be pressed in very limited quantities and given to industry insiders to try to entice movie/tv producers to use the songs in their projects, as well as to try to spur some artists to record some cover versions.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Correct. This is similar to George's estate signing with Bicycle Publishing, which has resulted in a number of George songs appearing in some films, TV, etc. So I expect some Ringo-written songs will be showing up elsewhere, or being covered by some other artists.

3. 81531

81531 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nah not offended but it sounded a bit arrogant to be honest. I really hope that they reissue his albums as I'm missing 'Old Wave' badly and it's no so expensive in every kind of format. Great album as well although it isn't seen as one of his best. I just like it a lot!

blutiga likes this.
  4. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

this could be a perfect opportunity to start a Ringo Starr Archive collection

Futurecity likes this.
  5. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Is this Time Takes Time CD reissue available for sale on Amazon...has anyone heard it or know how it sounds?

6. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I love Old Wave. I think it's a great album.

vince and 81531 like this.
  7. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

coming soon...

8. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Can someone change the thread title to clarify that this is about song publishing not recording rights? Otherwise people will look at "contract" and assume that it refers to reissues, which it does not, at least not directly.

905 and mrjinks like this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Kind of a frightening prospect, if you ask me. I don’t think many folks realize Ringo has NINETEEN studio albums (that’s only six less than McCartney). :yikes:

10. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

20 if you count Scouse the Mouse

omikron, forthlin and mrjinks like this.
  11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

And if you decide to count the live albums in total album releases it’s 83 .....

omikron, Calico, 905 and 2 others like this.
  12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Futurecity likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Doesn't SONY own BMG?

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't imagine many people even buying reissues of his back catalogue. Very few people bought them originally after 1973 and they are pretty much all forgotten outside of the most obsessive Beatles completists.

15. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

No, it's a separate company fully owned by Bertelsmann, created after Sony fully absorbed the remaining 50% stake in the music division in 2008. They started off as a pure music publishing company (hence this deal), but in the last 5 years they have also expanded into the territory of signing on artists again and reissuing legacy acts. For instance, the Emerson, Lake & Palmer recorded catalog is owned by them, and thus the Steven Wilson reissues and remixes of the catalog were subsequently handled by them.

Along with Concord they're probably the closest contender out there right now to a 4th major label.

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

This. X1000.

17. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Doesn't mean they won't make them...

*cough*

[​IMG]

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I've read a lot of Ringo outtakes that never made it to bootlegs and still remain in the vaults. Let's hope we get some deluxe editions and those bonus tracks out there. I'm most interested in some of those Time Takes Time outtakes or more of Ringo's aborted 1987 album sessions.

Calico and mrjinks like this.
  19. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Ringo's whole catalog is pretty much on Spotify (concerning his studio albums). Y Not as removed for a little bit, but it's back now. Time Takes Time was missing too, but it's now there. Stop and Smell The Roses was there, but removed and hasn't been reinstated, and I haven't seen Old Wave since I began using Spotify in December of 2015 (I have it downloaded, and it's mixed in with my Beatles and solo Beatles album playlist, same with SASTR).

20. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I just picked up the 2016 TIME TAKES TIME CD (Music On CD/Sony Music Netherlands label) and it sounds very good. It sounds newly remastered to me, but I can't be 100% sure? The booklet doesn't have any reissue credits whatsoever...it's only the original booklet with the 1992 credits. However, track 3, "Don't Go Where The Road Don't Go" is a little dull and is missing the high end compared to all the other tracks...not sure what happened here, but if you scale back the bass a little and add more treble, it makes this song sound just like the others.

I'm happy to have this album back in my CD collection...thanks again for the heads up!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Yorick and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.