‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I've watched a few episodes of this are there are moment where it seems they're trying to appeal to the more sophisticated tastes of modern audiences and there are moments that are so almost as campy and ridiculous as the original series. Unfortunately I'm not sure which one is intentional and which one is a misfire.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a terrific rundown of some of the VFX on the new Lost in Space...

jpelg likes this.
  3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^Seems there is a spoiler in that video if you haven't watched the entire season yet. Just an FYI.

4. Up up through episode 8 and have enjoyed this show for the most part. I think it is finally getting it's sea legs. Think the Judy character is too young (based on the original) but she's good as are most of the others. Don is a bit over the top but he seems to be directed that way.

I've been a big fan of Parker Posey forever and read some comments here on how bad she is. I actually think she is great here because I really hate her on this show-what I mean is that I hate Dr Smith and that petite charming Posey nails it so we hate the character. We are supposed to hate the character. She nails it IMHO.

PhilJol, GeoffC and robertawillisjr like this.
  5. Finished it up last night. Overall, my Wife & I enjoyed it, BUT........you have to "shut up and eat your popcorn" (as I say to most movies these day)s.

There are so many inaccuracies in the "Science" & staging in this series that it's hard to keep your mouth shut for any length of time. Several have been mentioned and there many, many more....

...yet we kept watching. I like the Universe they've set up. I won't go into details to avoid giving away spoilers (I don't want to do the "Spoilers" button). The characters are interesting and "Dr Smith" is truly Evil with serious issues - a Sociopath in the extreme. I really like the overall Vision (Sets & FX) of the series. They used the entire First Season to primarily set up just how "Lost" in Space they truly are (*Side note - I wonder if they'll ever come back to the Resolve and deal with them if they truly are "Trillions of Light Years " away from the Earth. SMH).

Good Cliff hanger to end the season with many, many stories hanging in the balance.

Will watch a second season if it comes out.

PhilJol likes this.
  6. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I finished up the series last night also. It took me a few episodes to warm up to it but was enjoying it by the end. I like the more serious tone of the show as compared to the original. I know the original started off wanting to be serious but morphed into the Dr Smith show. I also liked what seemed to be the flipping of roles, with Mrs Robinson being the brains pretty much. I don't recall Maureen being so brainy in the original (not that she was a dummy, it was just a more traditional role). The one thing that bothered me was the robot.

7. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Exactly.

8. That’s so great.

9. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I have completed watching 4 episodes and am really enjoying it other than Dr. Smith.

10. You’re not supposed to enjoy D Smith :tiphat: she gets more evil.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Having watched 5 episodes now and done far too much 'eye-rolling' it appears this whole mission was trained by the same folks that trained the Prometheus crew.

Dones't anyone have 'protocols' anymore? Just exasperating to watch quite frankly. The other half puts it on as we are eating dinner (we don't have a dining room or room in the kitchen) as she doesn't like stuff that requires to much attention while eating. Fair enough.

Solaris likes this.
  12. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm almost done, but I can tell you that this show has conjured up the same frustrations as the original. When I watched the original as a kid I hated that the Dr Smith character was continually aided by other characters doing stupid things, this was very frustrating. The new show manages to do the same thing.

When I mentioned to my wife (who has not seen any of this) that they use fossil fuels to power the spacecraft we got a big laugh out of it. The least they could do would be to make something up like warp engines or something else. Then when the robot broke open that rock for Will ... ah! di-lithium crystals.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

The use of petroleum as a fuel is pretty ridiculous for a manned interstellar craft. However, the show is set only 28 years into the future, so unobtanium type propulsive warp technology would be even less credible.

They could have gone for something potentially feasible in the near future and much more enerfy dense, like an atomic metallic hydrogen drive, maybe in conjunction with an advanced ion drive. But I guess then the eels wouldn't find that so palatable!

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It's a hot mess.

Solaris likes this.
  15. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I think they may have borrowed from Hyperion by Dan Simmons with regard to the design/look of the robot. It reminds me of the Shrike.

robertawillisjr and wayneklein like this.
  16. Deesky

Of the many lukewarm reviews I'd read, it's kind of weird (at least to me) that they all seem to elevate the robot as being somehow the best character. I just didn't see it, at all. It was just a one note, boring automaton who for some reason could understand what was being said to it and could even speak English - "Danger, Will Robinson", and yet wasn't able to say/communicate anything else.

The robot in the original LiS was way, way more charismatic, funny and looked like a real mechanism (as opposed to a part time CGI Transformer).

17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I like to spot the homages to other sci-fi movies & literature.

For example, I just finished episode 5 which contained what I immediately perceived as a reference to the tent scene in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. And a more obscure one (and possibly a stretch), every time I see the Robot's "face", I think of Wildfire from DC's Legion of Superheroes.

18. Deesky

I'd noticed a whole bunch of Star Wars riffs; the dark, watery chamber John wades through with alien eels swimming underfoot is like the trash compactor scene in SW with a similar submerged creature; Don West was basically Han Solo, a charming, rouge-ish scoundrel/hero - he even calls Judy 'princess' a bunch of times as had Han in SW; there was a secne where the robot is face-to-face with Will and I think he raises his hand which reminded me of E.T. with Elliot in a similar pose with ET.

jpelg likes this.
  19. Thank gosh it’s not a bunch of interstellar Uber Priuses.

20. Except no spikes

21. Told you it was kind of like Terra Nova. I enjoyed it much more than you did. It's far from perfect but still entertaining. With a family at the center (and a dysfunctional one) it's not a surprise that it's a bit of a melodrama.

22. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

The scene where Don falls from the cliff but reappears is taken from "Indiana Jones and the last crusade".

jpelg likes this.
  23. Deesky

Yeah, but going over a cliff fakeout is a pretty standard stunt/cliche done many, many times over the decades, way before Indiana Jones...

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We are wondering if the plot twist is that Earth is fine and the Jupiter Mission was just to get rid of the dumbest humans from Earth.

The show will then be renamed Idiots In Space.

marmalade166 and robertawillisjr like this.
  25. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I am not happy the robot went over a cliff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.