Another World 1981-87 opening...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bmasters9, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This computerized opening of the hit NBC daily serial Another World from 1981-87 (the "block-letters," or "ring-tunnel," as I call it)-- I asked about it a very long time ago on the forum of a defunct site called The World of Soap Themes, and got a quite detailed explanation of how it worked. Of course, as that site and its forum are long defunct, I forgot exactly how this opening was put together and what went into making it (the ring-tunnel, the faces, the AW title), so I'd just like somewhat of a refresher course.

Here is this opening, from a 1984 show:

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Umm...start again, please? Exactly what is it you're asking? Television compyooter graphics were quite different in the 1980's. Sometimes they started with artwork (real animation), then enhanced the overall image with effects possible at any major production house, via digital tricks that would hardly be considered, "CGI" by today's standards. Ya take yer average big-budget Grass Valley switcher of that era, there's effects possible within that bad boy, most of us have probably never seen, that could be mistaken for early compyooter animation today.

But, having seen that bumper sequence perhaps for the very first time, I'd have to guess it's closer to a different perspective on what's possible via digital processors melded with Doug-Trumbull-like out-of-the-box thinking, that may have turned out a product like that. Frankly, I dunno, sorry to have wasted your time, but these are possibilities to think about.

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Horrible series. I remember it well. If the technology was that great for the opener, perhaps more should have been thrown into the talent/script writer budget instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.