The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

NORDUB - Sly & Robbie meet Nils Petter Molvaer feat Eivand Aarset and Vladislav Delay (Okeh) CD

Released 2018

Plenty of killer spaced out/dubbed out Jazz on this new album by Norwegian trumpeter Nils Petter Molvaer & his band, with the addition of a big booming rhythm section courtesy of Sly Dunbar (drums) & Robbie Shakespeare (bass) - Jamaica's Dynamic Duo.
    I don't think any (current) Jazz musicians have ever considered recording with this world famous rhythm section before now and adding their additional and intriguing dub factor to the spacey trumpet playing has really lifted this sound into another dimension.

Interesting to note Sony Music decide to issue this new, ground-breaking work on their old Okeh imprint.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Does she love Jimmy Smith, etc? I also really like the Hammond in rock & it can be good in just about any music if used with a bit of taste.

3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Miles Davis - Jack Johnson (1971)

2015 MFSL 1-440 reissue LP mastered by Krieg Wunderlich & Shawn R. Britton

Just read a NYT article of another plea for a posthumous presidential pardon being underway. As soon as I saw Jack's picture in the article the groovy bass line of "Right Off" came to mind and I had to play it. Really didn't know much about the wrestler prior to reading the article. But the record sure rocks. And this pressing sounds so good it just begs to be turned up.

[​IMG]

4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Red Norvo Wigwammin`

[​IMG]

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

No, she doesn’t like jazz that much. She plays mostly country, folk and American songbook.

6. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Mildred Bailey The Columbia Records 01

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot, rxcory and Lonson like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

News from Mosaic:
    The Complete Bee Hive Sessions
    We Will Be Repressing This Set

Last week we notified you that we are currently out of stock and cannot afford to repress the set without a substantial number of advance orders for it. Thank you very much for your strong response and we expect to be repressing and shipping this set in June.
    Last Chance to place an order will be this Wednesday. The set will then be removed from the site and no additional orders will be able to be filled.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  8. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Shelly Manne - Mannekind

[​IMG]

9. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Dewey Redman/ Cecil Taylor/ Elvin Jones
    Momentum Space

[​IMG]

10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Some of my ill-boughten gooty (with apologies to Hawkeye):

[​IMG]

RSD is never a bountiful time for Jazz fans, except for the Resonance releases of course. And what would it be without a myriad of Sun Ra titles? Without those two it would be some serious slim pickins. The Grant Green albums are a thing of beauty, something we've come to expect from Resonance. Yes, they're digital cuts, but some things are too wonderful and desirous to be dogmatic. So far the "Funk In France" ORTF sides are knocking me out. The presentation of the entire package is beautifully done and just like the previous ORTF releases (Wes Montgomery, Larry Young) they're worth the (relatively) high cost. For fans of Jazz, Funk or just guiter in general do not pass this up if any still exist. They are my pick for "BEst RSD Release of 2018". I feel very luck to have found both, which were my top priorities.

While I did not read this entire thread I did not see a single mention (yet) of the "Merzbow/Gustafsson/Pandi/Moore" release. I bought if for Mats Gustafsson but for those unfamiliar the "Moore" in the ensemble is Thurston Moore of SY fame. Has anyone else picked this up? Cound not find it yesterday and asked about it and was met with blank stares and was told they did not get it in. Obviously they did, one copy, and another lucky discovery.

Special mention goes to the David Axelrod "Song Of Innocence" reissue. A progenitor to late 60's early 70's Jazz-Rock Fusion spiked with Psych and Pop sensibilities. A classic and one that's been heavily sampled by modern HipHop artists. It was high on my list but wait, it gets better. After getting it home I noticed on the hype sticker that it's a AAA cut by Ron McMaster! Not many of those to be found anymore on RSD. Highly recommended.

Missed out on:
    Piper: 9 copies that were sucked up within seconds.
    The Stooges: Saw the last copy picked up as I approached.
    Serge Gainsbourg: Never got it in. Pitiful.
    The Open Mind: Ibid.

When I have a rather large list I out the "RSD First" titles on the back burner, knowing I can get them afterward, so I passed on:
    Ella At Zardi's (was not even in stock)
    ABB
    Garcia
    Neil Young
    Monk (which is already out and can be had from AS for $16 right now)

Total cost of what I bought?
    $420
    [​IMG]

11. AxiomAcoustics

Speaking of Mr. Green ^^^^^ Fabulous releases, and for non-vinylphiles they will be out in a month on CD.

12. AxiomAcoustics

Oh stop it. :laugh: You may have been when you first showed up but 4 years later you ain't no "nube". Your comments about Grant's guitar and the Rich vs. Roach bear that out. I don't agree on the Rich vs. Roach but get your position. I'm a drummer and grew up on that one. Never thought those face-to-face bass drums was a good idea though.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. AxiomAcoustics

More great GG! This one fits nicely with those Resonance releases.

MagicAlex likes this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

Love those Yo Miles! albums!

You will have two chances at an ear-opening experience coming soon. Don;t miss it:

JUNE 2018 RARE BRÖTZMANN / KEIJI HAINO WEST COAST CONCERTS

[​IMG]

presented by black editions & eremite / brö

05 VI the chapel san francisco

08 VI zebulon los angeles

09 VI zebulon los angeles

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see the images in the post I quoted.

16. AxiomAcoustics

My photo is not showing? If so that's weird. I'm seeing it on the original and your quote and usually when you mention that to someone I can't either.

17. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

It's in your browser's cache?

18. AxiomAcoustics

I believe so. You can't see it either?

19. jeromesabbagh

jeromesabbagh Forum Resident

a fantastic record, for sure. The drum solos are stunning.

20. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Right, nor can I see it when I open the image in a separate browser tab.

21. jeromesabbagh

jeromesabbagh Forum Resident

I just discovered this record recently. Beautiful!

Voltaire and Cactus Bob like this.
  22. AxiomAcoustics

Odd, and ironically, I can't see the images in the quote above^^^^^^^^

23. AxiomAcoustics

The plot thickens. I can see it on my Windows desktop, which I'm on now, but just checked my iPad and it does not show!?

24. AxiomAcoustics

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see the images.

Cactus Bob likes this.