David Bowie Record Store Day 2018 Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

££££££
    $$$$$$
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥
    €€€€€€

Adam Bosman likes this.
  2. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

A steal. :rolleyes:

CBackley likes this.
  3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong (I was just commenting on sound/dynamics), Nassau's mixing and editing is a travesty which hugely detract from my enjoyment of the release. Far more so than with Welcome to the Blackout, however, not having heard this material before I have no idea what mixing and editing has gone on so it wouldn't have the same, negative, affect as Nassau which I'd heard many many times before it's official release.

onlyconnect likes this.
  4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

DL vs. CA

(IMHO) For the songs that are on both releases - musically only "Aladdin Sane" was worse on "Cracked Actor". I see that they were trying to do something different but the (more) prominent Latin rhythms just ruined it. It veers into joke territory. (And the first couple of fast numbers just fly by without much impact. You have to remind yourself that they played already). Vocally, "Cracked Actor" is all over the place. I can see why it would have been vetoed in its day. Bowie's obviously out of it for much of the set, and while I like the occasional clam as much as anybody, it can get annoying after awhile. OTOH, on much of DL he sounds just vocally strained, but not necessarily tired - almost like he's been singing every night for a week. Hmmm.

But then, "It's Gonna Be Me" and JIODA just thrusts "Cracked Actor" into greatness that DL never achieves. I can barely stay in my skin, and that just doesn't happen for me anywhere on DL, as good as it (occasionally) gets.

mishima's dog and Mr. Explorer like this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

This is kinda why I like the 8-track Berlin album. "Heroes" without deafening "dynamics", and you're not sitting there for an hour and a half when "Stage" came out not a year ago, as you mention. Nice uncomplicated set list, too. 50%+ then-new songs, 1 cover, and a couple of warhorses. Works for me.

Erick Haight and CBackley like this.
  6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I think I'd enjoy the new "Low" and "Heroes" more if I had the equipment to really do the bass justice. Otherwise, yeah, ANCIANT is dead to me.

(I recently tried the 192/24 STS for the first time, and again, inadequate equipment for low frequencies, so my bad - but the first drums you hear sounded clipped, like someone had just come in and somehow cut sound out of the room. I stopped immediately and moved on.)

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I want more stuff like "Cracked Actor" and "Blackout" (and, yes, I liked much of the box set refresh, so sue me), so it's pretty elementary that if I want more of that, I've gotta pay. OTOH, that rewards a LOT of bad behavior.

I completely understand people who are, at this point, "Forget Parlophone".

Django216 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

They have a licence, that’s all. Other record companies are available....

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Ah, but did those other companies have a strategy for getting me to buy 5 copies of "David Live" in 2016?

10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

25 YT views so far:

11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Someone fetch a priest!

DHamilton likes this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It's like I always say: "You can't say no."

CBackley likes this.
  13. CBackley

My, my!

14. CBackley

I really do hope this comes out on CD. I want it in my collection, but I don’t want to pay out the nose to get it on vinyl.

Alan57 likes this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Um, shyeah. OMFG.

Purplefowler likes this.
  16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

¡ Muchas gracias, Señor Tony !

17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

A. Oh my. It's a thing of beauty :love:

TonyCzar likes this.
  18. the no guy

the no guy Cat on the moon

Just picked up my copy of Blackout this morning at Louie Louie records in Porto. 45 euros. Not bad. Mind you, I picked up Cracked Actor for less last year. At FNAC of all places. No sign of the Let's Dance demo though.

19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Station To Station intro - Bowie was doing Super Furry Animals techno-rock back in 1978 :cool:

TonyCzar likes this.
  20. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Any impressions re: sound quality of the new Bowie debut RSD release?

21. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

Welcome To The Blackout is stellar. My copy is flawless, no surface noise at all, no issues to speak of. I'm not sure why people are complaining about lack of dynamics. I just recorded my copy, and obviously there is compression involved, but it's not on the level of Nassau or Santa Monica. Tracks like Sense of Doubt or Warszawa sound and "look" great. I'm a huge fan of this era, and this album blows away Stage. It's more about the performance here, it just feels alive as opposed to Stage. Highly recommended!

I also snagged the other releases. I listened to the Let's Dance demo, and honestly, the full length version isn't all that great. They just cut some repetitive stuff for the edited version they released in January, and I don't see myself needing to listen to the full length version again.

Bowie Now isn't anything special, the inner sleeve picture they touted is a let down.

I got the debut release since I just had an older pressing and not the mono version. Nice packaging, looking forward to listening to it.

22. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

so how are people enjoying the sponge bob single...

Django216 likes this.
  23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Couldn't find it on the list, nor shops. The cover said it's from the Cast Recording, so the Bowie/Eno credits are probably just for songwriting, like on the full disc

24. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

yes it is a cast recording. somewhat ashamed to say I bought it... pretty strange hearing such a obscure and kinda strange bowie track turned into a show tune.

25. I guess you didn't listen to the Lazarus soundtrack?

sortvinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.